The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: nortel ssq

Default nortel ssq

anyone have an ssq they want to sell.. in good condition

Default Re: nortel ssq

yeah, i didnt think so

man, i just sold mine a few days ago........the ssq is a pretty sweet torch. abr imagery lists a beginner kit, http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=2769

thats what i bought, like 6 years ago. good deal, came with a sample of northstar colors. now my brothers gonna be rockin it, when it arrives to him anyway

good luck, its a pretty good beginner torch, think im gettin a carlisle cc now

ive had mine for 10 years, and ive heard from many people it kicks a cc's ass

i learned on a cc. the ssq wasnt much of a step down, but i could work more nonstop on the cc. the ssq ran inconsistent after an hour straight, where-as the cc we had runnin 2-3 hours at a time before taking a break.........

seems like the ssq maybe different from torch to torch because mine is a beast, im seeing how big of a vac stack i can do with it to see where it will max out. i tried my first 50x5 over the summer and have some 60x7 i was planning on trying next.

ive alse cleaned out my entire torch and its running much smoother but the center burner is still a little goofy with pin points. i was planning on a hand torch soon anyways so i suppose i can work off that if i need to.

From what I've been told, there were at least 2 versions of the SSQ, the primary difference being the centerfire (mine, btw, can do pinpoint flames with no problem as long as the outer oxy is cracked open). Beyond that, I don't know much. I do know that my SSQ can easily handle 50x5 and 2" marbles, although it can sometimes take a long time for the heat to soak all the way in.
    "Badger, my ass; it's probably Milhouse."