The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gong tool...

Default gong tool...

i jus read through ton of posts...not findin exsact info i want...so, got blast shield gong male holder- will NOT hold frikkin joint! what z-hell do ya do? its drivin me nuts- if i puff into tool when it's tacked onto piece it push's joint out of holder and totally f's up connection- getting it all chunked up! then it will jus slide all around in holder so it cannot be cleanly sealed...frik- i thought i was getting the best holder from BS...but not so man- not so-
    i read about usin paper and gtape- is that best bet?
    anyhow tks fo any advice...
    goldy

Default Re: gong tool...

give it a rough pounding into the hole. Usually works for me.

But for real...i twist it and pound it in there and if it doesnt hold id probably send it back...

When you put the joint on/in the tool are you giving it a little twist while you are pushing? That is what works for me and I have no problems.

I've used the Blast Shield ones, as well as those from What is, What is and Intense Appliance. I personally like the IA and BS ones the best (IA most of all).
    Kristian Turley GLDG Forum Founder
    Old School Glass
    ┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐

Jbob said it. Really force that thing in there, it will say.

the box of joints was the small joint with a tiny bit of clear so i cant push them down any futher or there is no clear to tack on with...tryed twisting and they jus spin...now i got diffrent joints which have much longer section of clear- so pushing futher down/twist is giving a snug fit...So tks, that twist helped- and now i know what to do if they stick in tool... props to the pot!

Also if they get really stuck ever, get a small cheapo-paddle or something, place part of the piece on the bench or onto something stable and hit the joint off of the tool with the paddle, seems to work well for me.

When I bought mine from Darrell (Blast Shield) he recommended that if it gets stuck, strike the metal handle with a knife blade. I use a crisp whack with the edge of the blade near the graphite on the metal, and it always loosens after that.

^thanks for the tip!!!

it's not the holder, it's the joints. I had the same issue once. The cheap, import joints are often out of round. Try matching up a male and female joint to see if they fit snuggly. I ended up having to scrap a bunch of finished slides because of this.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fadedglassworks

irony = smoking a cigarette in order to check your ventilation system.

Heat flow is a big factor in this as well. If you put a cold joint in a cold graphite holder, it will do funny stuff when you go to make your weld, like come loose and pop out. In my experience it works best to preheat the joint and the holder with an annealing flame, weed burner flame if your using a gtt, then put the joint in the holder and grab it with a kevlar pad and twist it in tight. The preheat is also especially important to using the chinese joints successfully, since they like to shock and crack right where the ground part ends.

have been pre-heatin joint and tool fo sure...joints are fromjohn/ made in india...but wuz told they are decent quality.?...faded who do you get yer joints from?

not to put anyone on blast ... the joints i was having trouble with came from abr. This was last year though. I had ordered a dozen or so and they were all wobbly when fitting males and females.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fadedglassworks

irony = smoking a cigarette in order to check your ventilation system.

the box of joints was the small joint with a tiny bit of clear so i cant push them down any futher or there is no clear to tack on with.
    ^uhh..this minor detail is important

...havent found any graphite holders that work with drip tips..

(ok..i might have completely misunderstood your post..)
    i use whatis tools..they are great
    ..it's always the least experienced who have the most advice to give..
    :

http://www.GlassPipes.org/ElHefe

first ones i ever ordered...

to seat my ground joints i find it more effective, and puts less stress on the joint, to drop it in the holder, hold it vertically, and lightly drop it onto a cinder block letting the whole tool kind of 'bounce'once.

this seats the ground joint without putting weird pressure or torquie on the joint by twisting it in. to release, a give the tool handle a 'bonk' with a wooden stick. the vibrations created with wood seem to be more effective then ca-ching of a peice of metal.

i dont think any weird pressure or torque develops from twist locking, yer just paranoid.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Fuck all that slamming and torquing and pressure shit. Why is nobody using graphite tape to hold their joints? Also, I find it easier to just use an actual glass fitting on the end of a handle instead of using the fitting tools I wasted my money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonbal View Post
    Fuck all that slamming and torquing and pressure shit. Why is nobody using graphite tape to hold their joints? Also, I find it easier to just use an actual glass fitting on the end of a handle instead of using the fitting tools I wasted my money on.
    the torquing and pressure is the cost of not having a glass tool...Sometimes its more relevent then others though, like if you have to bridge something to the handle its easier if u use a glass holder for something like that, but for the most part the graphite i believe to be best...and even with all the torquing and pressure it still hasnt seem to shorten the life of any of my tools.

I just don't like breaking joints if I don't have to.

havent broke one yet outside of human error, like putting a warm joint in a not so warm holder...but to each his own/