The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Armadillo Art Glass Initiative 2013

Default Armadillo Art Glass Initiative 2013

Our First Annual Initiative will be held April 19th, 20th, & the 21st 2013 @ the Palmer Event Center in Austin, TX. We will have live glass blowing, live music, food and multiple local Texas artists in various medias. The weekend will kick off on Friday with an informal welcome party, followed by two days of music, art, food and glass, including a silent auction and a raffle on both days. This event is free to attend and open to the public.

This year, we have a $10,000 goal for a local Austin charity, raised through direct donation as well donated work. Throughout the weekend, volunteers will be doing live glass blowing demos, and all of the work produced will be donated. As well as producing work during the event, we will be taking donations of finished work from any and all artists who want to contribute. All art donations will be sold or auctioned, with resulting funds benefitting the charity selected.

Along with supporting the charity, we plan to provide education and awareness to the community, as well as fostering unity among the local arts. As part of this plan, several members of the local art community have been working on a sculptural lighting installation. The final assembly and unveiling of the installation will take place at the event.

The best way to get involved is to donate, glass or money. 100% of our operating budget comes from our sponsors, to whom we are incredibly grateful. This means that 100% of the money we raise goes directly to our chosen charity. We will have stations set up for volunteers to work during the event, but we will not be able to accommodate everyone. The best option for donating glass is to give a finished piece. You can mail in finished donations before hand, or bring them with you to the event. If you are able to get signed up and scheduled for torch time, you absolutely must make something you are familiar with. Our goal is to produce as much work as possible, thereby raising as much money as possible, rather than have it be a time to showcase our skills by going big.

There will be a representative from charity on site to collect donations at the event.

Please come out, meet some great artists and support a great cause. We hope to see you all there.

For general questions and concerns, including the address to send glass donations, please contact me: aymiemckesson@gmail.com or visit our website at www.armadilloartglassinitiative.com

For sponsorship information or to make a monetary/material donation, please contact Craig Lewis: info@armadilloartglass.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAGI(vector over color)!.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	44756  
    Last edited by Aymie; 02-04-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: To avoid confusion with Agi

Aymie

I love the event artwork!

Would love to make it. Best of luck with the event. I am sure it will be a great success!
    "Destruction leads to a very rough road, but it also breeds creation."

Default Re: Aagi 2013

This is great! Thanks for putting your time in for this, Aymie.
    ~Misha

This maks me really excited!! Thank you Aymie.

Change and progress always starts locally, and spreads globally. Always good to see artists giving back to the community.

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

Yes it does and yes it is.

Speaking of giving, direct links for monetary donations should be up in the next day or two, and we are ready to accept glass now.

I have a personal goal of getting everyone who attends to donate a piece.

Aymie

I am happy to announce that our charity this year will be Austin Meals On Wheels And More (MOWAM)!

MOWAM is a local and independent charity. While they are an affiliate, Austin MOWAM does not receive any funding from the nationwide organization.

Again, there will be a MOWAM booth at the event and we will have direct donation links up soon.

All of the proceeds from our event go directly to MOWAM, including all of the funds resulting from donated glass.
    Last edited by Aymie; 02-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Aymie

The direct donation link is up on our website!

Aymie

We are very excited to have Meals on Wheels and More as our beneficiary this year. Last year they celebrated 40 years of serving the Austin area. We have just added the direct donations link on our web site ( ArmadilloArtGlassInitiative.com ). This link allows us to track how much money our community is donating directly to MOWAM. The donation is thru PayPal and goes directly to MOWAM. A $25 donation provides 10 meals plus critical needs service. Please visit our web site and donate to MOWAM of Austin. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Default Re: Armadillo Art Glass Initiative 2013

I can't wait to come down and check out Austin. This sounds amazing. ^Aymie, I like your personal goal. It was nice to clank pints with you in Tucson. Best of luck. Big ole biggity ole ups.

It was nice indeed my love. I can't wait for April. It's such a great time of year to see this part of the country.

Aymie

Aymie

deleted
    Last edited by flameboy wanabes mom; 04-17-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: I'm sorry

I will say, when I was a young'un, I hated the 21+ shows... And when I became an adult, man, I hated the all ages shows.

Also, I wonder if the fact that pipes are tobacco items and your son is under the legal tobacco consumption age has anything to do with it? There are many things your son will not be able to do until 18, that's just the way it is. Kudos for being a cool mom and trying to stick up for him. But, I think you may want to lighten up on this one. He'll be there soon enough.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Flame boy wanna be mom- This is Craig Lewis. I am in charge of the Armadillo. The main even 4/19-4/21 is open to public and free to attend. Which has always been the case and is open to all forms of art donations. The list of other mediums vending at the event is posted on the Armadillo web site. All the information for the event as well as the after party is posted on our web site for all to see. The after party is AFTER the main event 4/22, at a separate location. " The Flamingo Cantina". The flyer for the after party clearly states where it will take place and that the event is 18+. I'm very disappointed that you feel the need to lash out when you obviously don't have all the information. The 18+ is a venue restriction. They requested 21+. I'm sorry that your son is not able to attend the Flamingo for the after party. It is not out of spite that there is an age restriction.

I cannot wait for this show, I a simply stoked to attend! only two more days!

@juliew - I have seen you around the board quite a bit. I personally like you because your son is interested in something, and you are helping him to explore it, and to find himself. I think all parents should do that, and a lot of them don't, at least none I knew did.

Anyhow, you really should not take it so personally, or so generally. I make pipes, and I know lots of other people who make pipes. Pipe makers tend to be some of the most accepting, non-judgmental people there are. Please understand that it is a profitable, and close knit community of people. Many of these people were making pipes at a time when they, or their employers were suddenly arrested for doing something that was legal, insured, ect. There were a few who were even incarcerated, just on the *legal* activity alone. Much less, the fact that tobacco pipes can only be sold to those who can legally use tobacco. Thus, there may be some moral, or legal issues that someone might take with your son being at an event aimed specifically at pipers. (This is not AAGI). I only post this, because your last post sounded as if you are upset at pipers, I am sure you know generalizing any group of people for any reason, usual produces exceptions.

You won't find many people in the lampworking, OR pipe making community who would be opposed to your son learning, or you helping your son learn. However, you will find people who will not want to risk any legal or moral issues for themselves, or for your family. Please do not take it personal. Happy Melting!

I want to sincerely apologize for my tirade. It was mean spirited and uncalled for.
    I wish the Armadillo Art Glass Initiative every success.

-juliew

What's up y'all? Been awhile since I posted but my name is Phatsol aka Patrick I'm from San Antonio . I'm lookin forward to meeting some locals . I wanna thank Aymie and the rest of the Armadillo crew makin it possible for me to meet others with the passion for melting glass. Anyways hit me up if anybody from San Antonio is goin I will b there on Sunday. Only day I can go. Any hoot torch on brothas and sistas!!!
    Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
    Harvey Fierstein

It's going to be so much fun. If y'all could see what I am seeing right now...only two more days until you can.

FBWM-thank you

Aymie