The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hey guys

Default hey guys

new member here, names Tom. im not a glassblower although im very interested in starting. I'd like to pickup lampworking. Im in northshore of mass so it seems sort of difficult. so ill be reading and browsing, if anyone has any pointer that'd be awesome! thanks guys.

Default Re: hey guys

Hi, welcome to TMP.

My first suggestion would be to read this forum, then read it some more. After that, read it some more. Finally, take a beginner class before you buy anything else.

Have fun!
    ~Misha

Before we found our first teacher you tube was our best friend. It wasn't for two-three months before we found first teacher. Even to this day I still try to soak in as much you tube as I can. A lot out there! Going to Glassline and The Flow websites and back issues have helped a lot.

Time. Spend as much time as you can behind the torch. I try to do 3-6 hours daily even if I work my day job. Reach out to people in the community. Blowing glass is a lot more fun when others are around. At least for me anyway. It is nice to have the quite time too.

Just the tip of the ice berg...........

they say practice makes perfect, but actually it just makes you better. good luck in your journey

couple things to check out:

http://www.bostonisgb.org/site/ ya i know they are beaders ;-) but they melt glass just the same, they do some cool trips and stuff. Last year they went to Josh Simpson's workshop, which i couldn't attend, but wish i could have!

http://www.diabloglassschool.com/flameshop.htm I've heard mixed reviews, but I know they teach, so might be worth the hundred bucks before you invest in your own equipment.

Good luck!

-D

thanks for the support, and the help guys haha. One of my main problems is i have zero experience, and i don't know many people in the industry. I've been looking at classes at diablo, and a local college (salem state college) and am trying to decide. Id like more one-on-one type learning environment. later this week im going to stop into my local headshop which happens to have a studio and see what they say, or even if they'd let me intern/apprenticeship.

Hey Herb,
    I took a class at Diablo glass more than 2 years ago, and it was awesome. It was a small class with 6 people, and their were two teachers. It was a great way to see what lampworking is like. It was very affordable, and i would recommend it to anyone looking to get their feet wet. This was a marbles class by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by quad_man10 View Post
    Hey Herb,
    I took a class at Diablo glass more than 2 years ago, and it was awesome. It was a small class with 6 people, and their were two teachers. It was a great way to see what lampworking is like. It was very affordable, and i would recommend it to anyone looking to get their feet wet. This was a marbles class by the way.
    thanks man, thats just the kinda of info im looking for. for a 9am to 2pm class its only $100. im definitely going to look into this, although they have alot of different classes, im going to look at that bead making if you think its the best to get a feel for pipe making and whatnot.

I am not so sure a bead class will help you make pipes. But it will give you the back round you need to setup your own studio. I am pretty sure Diablo does not make pipes. If i were you i would really take any class you can find to get a feel if glass is really for you.

I'm moving my studio at the moment but when I am up and running I will be giving beginner and intermediate level lessons. Should be up and running in about 2-3 weeks I hope. PM me for details and welcome.
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

You may want to stop by the witch doctor in salem ma. They have a couple in house blowers that may show you a thing or two for some scrilla.$$$
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Quote Originally Posted by gambitglass View Post
    You may want to stop by the witch doctor in salem ma. They have a couple in house blowers that may show you a thing or two for some scrilla.$$$
    haha yup im in there all the time, thats the shop i was talking about. theyre all great people.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitglass View Post
    I'm moving my studio at the moment but when I am up and running I will be giving beginner and intermediate level lessons. Should be up and running in about 2-3 weeks I hope. PM me for details and welcome.
    sweet man, im definitely interested, PM Coming soon.