The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up a budget work space

Default Re: Setting up a budget work space

I like to use Phillips didys with shade 3 clips ons. You could post a wanted ad for used ones to get some a little cheaper. Thats what I did and I got a great deal. They aren't the most attractive things ever, but hell, Im blowing glass which overrides the dorky glasses with cool factor. I can't see a damn thing out of shade 5's either.

I'd need to go dig up my invoice from when I ordered them, but I'm pretty sure I use 5's. I just put more light on the bench to counter it.

I have blue eyes though, they're more sensitive than some other eye colors like brown.

You can make a temporary pair of claw grabbers, tweezers are cheap from harbor freight, and I like cheap butter knives from the good will store for shaping. I have one clamped to my torch to use as a necking tool. (use the straight back of it).

You do need the didy filter to cut the sodium flare, shade three clip ons will work over those, but keep in mind the warning we used to get, the plastic they're made from will fade over time, so you'll need to replace them.

Carlo Donna shears are nice to have, but a cheap pair of poultry shears will work well enough while starting out.

Search on here, there are lots of cheap tool ideas.

Look for tools that can 'two-fer' for you. I have a really nice infinity rim marble mold, but I also have a cheaper one I got from ABR that has three marble cavities on one side and serves as a marver on the other.

Hit up your dentist to ask about saving out worn down dental tools for you.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

They fade out? As in the lenses? Scary! How long does that take to happen?

About 6 months if I recall. Search on here, it's buried around here somewhere when the guy who made them was still a member. It was a problem with the clip ons, not the regular lenses.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Hm, interesting. Do boroscopes have a didy filter in them?

Thank for the info once again guys.

I have the books on the way and some glasses. Going to go sit in for a few hours with the only guy that I can find within 100 miles next week.

Sorry to disappoint those of you that are intent on telling me I need to take classes. Not gonna happen unless I move to where they have them or I suddenly come into a shit load of travel money.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

I understand on the lessons thing. There isn't anyone for several hundred miles from me, so I'm getting by on DVDs, books and the net for now. I am planning to try to take lessons a couple times a year when my funds open up a little more. You can do it without, the basics just come a lot slower.

I'm surprised folks haven't starting doing lessons over skype. Seems like a way to make a few bucks without the hassles of travelling or revealing the location of your lair.

It's not a lesson opportunity so to speak, but there are occasionally blowers on stickcam and the like that leave a camera running for anyone who wants to watch. Might be worth tuning in.

Yeah, I don't mind a more challenging path. I am not setting up a company. I am challenging myself to learn something new. I have done it before with very complex things. I just take the principles that served me well when I was in a doctoral program and obsessively apply them to the thing I want to learn. Some people can't grasp learning and challenging yourself for the sake of the challenge. It frustrates them that you won't do it their way or that you don't somehow respect the path they have taken.

If I have to reinvent the wheel it will at least be my wheel.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

That is a bad ass idea. instead of a cam whore a cam blower. Hell you pay an access fee and can ask technical question. Whoever is working on cam can just talk while us viewers watch. Might be some good side cash for someone with an academic way about them.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

I am not a web guy. I learn near nothing from the pot. Personal experiences is what lack this day and age. Some people dont hear clear till its given straight to thier face. I like that and miss that sort of interaction since i sell mostly without a face to chat with.

Ohh like an adult show well then.....i am down pay me your money and ill show you the tech of the glory hole.

No but really you can call me we can throw on skype. Im always down to answer questions.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Hopefully I will have a complete setup in the next few months, minus the kiln. Kiln by summer, unless I win the football pool at work.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

so what kind of glasses did you end up ordering?

Simian Glass on Facebook

These are a great start. These are made by noir and are a polycarbonate. The filter is not dyed but impeded in the poly. Noir says these will never fade.

Btw no one has ever proven any of the welding shades fade over time. I understand this is logical thinking but still no evidence to support this as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Action Glass View Post
    Your wrong. Stop blowing before you start loosing your eyesight. Didymium lenses are needed well before the shade. It sounds like you have no clue. Pay attention to what people have to say on here. Maybe you should back track into the health and safety section of the forum.
    Sorry action glass this is not correct.

In fact didymium filters out nothing except sodium flare which has no damaging properties. Glass is inherently a good uv filter but does little for ir. didymium filters neither.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    These are a great start. These are made by noir and are a polycarbonate. The filter is not dyed but impeded in the poly. Noir says these will never fade.

Btw no one has ever proven any of the welding shades fade over time. I understand this is logical thinking but still no evidence to support this as far as I know.

Yeah I figured they would be a good starting point and if I really hated them or they got worn out or broken I could just upgrade later. I am also a fan of not paying more just because some people think more expensive is more gooder.
    Simian Glass on Facebook

I love the B'3 from wale. I learned with split lense googles and i like the B'3 alot better. I was always peeking through the top half of the split lenses and it was hard for my eyes to focus. the none split lenses work much better for me.