The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Aura or Phillips

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used both enough to know I love my Aura lenses.

22 24.18%
  • I've used both enough to know I love my Phillips lenses.

8 8.79%
  • I've only ever used Aura.

20 21.98%
  • I've only ever used Phillips.

41 45.05%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Aura Lens or Phillips?

Default Re: Aura Lens or Phillips?

I tried to order from aura lens recently. Sent him my prescription, and even waited a month and emailed hoping to get a response that they were being started. Nope. Guess its time to Cancel my order and try Phillips!

Thats bad business if he really cared about peoples sight he would take care of his business in a timely fashion. Sick of these backup didyniums!!

It's weird that people are more forgiving of companies like gtt, especially when their vision doesn't rely on them. Or maybe that's why?

Partially I would say. But also W&W are nice guys and obviously care about our industry and the people in it. I think that goes a long way.
    ~Misha

Building off Misha's point, it's also worth noting how many flame offs have a GTT as a sponsor and a torch as a prize versus how many you see Aura lens doing the same with.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Mike does free glasses for kids although I'm sure most have not returned them as the kids grow out of them (which was the deal).

Just saying He has styled my kids with free glasses over the years.

I returned mine and bought my kids Boro glasses. It was great that he sent us loaners, no doubt.
    ~Misha

Yeh, a recurring theme in my life is that it's often harder to focus on the positive instead of the negative. Thanks for the glasses mike, and sorry for all the shit you get(from me especially)!

Just want to say what a pleasure it was to order from Phillips. Got my prescription specs in under 10 days from ordering and the woman was very helpful over the phone. Even recommended these radiation frames that are not usually used for glass but fit my prescription (look cool too). Thanks Phillips!!

http://www.phillips-safety.com/store...roducts_id=398

I've been using Phillips 3's since I started, and have always been curious about the difference. I finally went ahead and ordered a pair of Aura 3's to compare to my old pair.
    Without love in the dream
    It will never come true

i have been using phillips shade 5 prescription lenses with correction for astigmatism for the past 2.5 years and i could only be happier if they were shade 6. with some t5 fluorescent lights the shop feels like day and with strong ambient lighting i suffer no eye fatigue. i have no issues with flare except when dust or debris are blown into my flame.

i have tried a pair of aura non-prescription lenses. they filter well, but are heavier. i can not attest for their clarity as the world is an impressionist painting without optical correction.

in the shop i work in i use phillips prescription frames, one person uses diddys with shade 5 clip-ons and one uses aura split lens goggles. we all love our glasses but every one is jealous of my super bright work space.

Just ordered a pair of Aura's last week, clip on shade 3, no Rx so I'm hoping there is not a problem!
    GETTING OLD STINKS ; but it's better than not getting older !!! Tim

samoth890 Lurker

I use Philips green ace ir 5.0, never tried auras though. Someone mentioned earlier their like pair didn't filter enough soda flare, and I actually feel mine doesn't either. Compared to the purple didy's that came with the proverbial hothead kit, which show no flare from boro.
    I found this a little backwards, since I know didy's are not enough for boro. Anybody else see a noticeable amount of flare from boro through the Philips green ace 5s, or did I maybe get slipped some damn welding shades?
    My roommate has some shade 3's I think they are, they look blue, vs purple. But still show soda flare too.
    I don't notice spots before my eyes, or squinting, or any of that, either..

I have several pairs of each. I think only 2 aura goggles are left as the lenses fell out of the other 2 pairs and broke. I have maybe 8 pairs of Phillips in both 3 and 5 as well as multiple cheap didy's and an old pair of AO custom didy's. I use my cheap didy's or customs about 80% of the time and Phillips the rest.

That said I prefer the auras as far as full blockage of the sodium flare. The Phillips seems to leak some sodium flare on the "aura" of the piece but not really between me and the piece... Some pairs are worse than others and it doesn't really bother me much, but it is a bit concerning. But I honestly love didy's and unless I'm going big, My eyes are much less strained by not trying to see through the dark tint.

One more point to mention that Phillips wins hands down, is comfort of wear! Not only are they available in frames that are actually designed to be worn, the lenses are so much lighter that there is much less discomfort over long periods of wear compared to the non goggle auras I've had. I like the goggles, but can't wear them long periods as they just are heavy and awkward.

I think that perhaps the aur-92 or whatever the base lens on auras is called is what takes the sodium flare out completely. Without a solid layer of that the Phillips are lacking a bit.

I have never burned my eyes or had any other problems with any brand and personally I feel that the fact the Phillips are cheaper and more readily available gives them the edge since you're supposed to replace any safety lenses regularly. I get a new pair every year even though I don't retire the old ones, just to reduce to wear,scratches, etc.

My biggest problem with any glassblowing eyewear is the fact that I go big a lot and the pressure that holds the glasses on my head combines with the intense heat softens the bridge of the glasses! I had to buy a frame warmer to re-shape my frames to keep fitting me.

Frame warmer is a good idea. All the frames are so big on me I have to only get customs and have them adjusted a lot.
    ~Misha

http://m.glasscraftinc.com/home2/gla/...ck_frames.html

These are the ones I ended up with.

I am way happier with these than the goggles I had before. The titanium is so light, and doesn't hold the heat like plastic.

I have kind of small eyes and they work perfect for me. I put them on a pair of croakies so they don't slide down my nose. Just tight enough to keep them in place, but not so tight that it hurts your nose or anything.
    "Destruction leads to a very rough road, but it also breeds creation."

Thanks for the link Nate. Not in my budget now but I'll certainly keep it in mind. It's ridiculous how often I have to adjust mine now because they don't fit properly and almost float above my nose sometimes. I have to tighten them down to keep them on which makes taking them of fast hard and ya know sometimes that has to happen!
    ~Misha

Its not for everyone but I use goggles only. I have to wear a headband in order to have a shelf to hang the glasses up and off my face. The knot in the back of the headband/bandana holds the giggle strap from slipping over my head. If I ever forget my headband I don't like it.

I added this tip too before years ago but nobody was too keen on it. I wrap the space where the nose guard used to be with hemp. My hippy buddy uses a little beeswax too. Easy to replace, sweat absorbent, and not made out of strange gel that melts into your skin. Goggles aren't for everyone, nor is the hemp wrap, but take it for what its worth.

samoth890 Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Natedizzle View Post
    That said I prefer the auras as far as full blockage of the sodium flare. The Phillips seems to leak some sodium flare on the "aura" of the piece but not really between me and the piece... Some pairs are worse than others and it doesn't really bother me much, but it is a bit concerning. But I honestly love didy's and unless I'm going big, My eyes are much less strained by not trying to see through the dark tint.
    Thanks for all the info Nate, that was enlightening, coming from a notably badass glassblower. So in your experience, the plain didy's are okay for boro? I had always heard they were inappropriate, but they do feel easier on the eyes for me. And when you say you see sodium flare off the aura of the piece, you mean just coming off the glowing hot glass? I notice it flaring off behind the glass, pretty much like an extremely dim version of the sodium flare you'd see with no filter.

For me, Phillips shade 3's are not adequate for getting a dark saturated color , white-hot. I have to squint or look away. If you have sensitive eyes I wouldn't go with anything less than 3. When I started I only used diddys and I'd work so long my eyes burned and teared and it was difficult to fall asleep. I even tried stacking two pairs. Don't skimp on eyewear ever.

My eyes are blue and so I'm told they are more sensitive than you brown eyes. I heard your eyes are insensitive and uncaring. Any validity to that?