The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Aura or Phillips

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used both enough to know I love my Aura lenses.

22 24.18%
  • I've used both enough to know I love my Phillips lenses.

8 8.79%
  • I've only ever used Aura.

20 21.98%
  • I've only ever used Phillips.

41 45.05%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Aura Lens or Phillips?

samoth890 Lurker

Default Re: Aura Lens or Phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    For me, Phillips shade 3's are not adequate for getting a dark saturated color , white-hot. I have to squint or look away. If you have sensitive eyes I wouldn't go with anything less than 3. When I started I only used diddys and I'd work so long my eyes burned and teared and it was difficult to fall asleep. I even tried stacking two pairs. Don't skimp on eyewear ever.

My eyes are blue and so I'm told they are more sensitive than you brown eyes. I heard your eyes are insensitive and uncaring. Any validity to that?
    I guess I may not understand what light is being filtered out. I thought it was mostly for the orange plume of fire coming off glass in the flame. I don't use the didy's anymore so I can't say if they really tired my eyes out, and the shade 5s I notice no fatigue. But with didy's, the glass itself looks brighter to me, but no flare in the flame. With the shade 5s, the glass doesn't give off as much of a glow, but I definitely can see the orange flare coming off the glass in the flame. I didn't know if this was normal or what, just trying to keep my eyes a-seein'!

My eyes are both blue and sensitive, so I can't attest to the cold, unfeeling brown eyes of others.

i have 2 pairs of aura 92's in metal aviator frames. <3 .one pair is 17yrs old the other 14 yrs. i buy new flip downs yearly for them. i also generally have a shade 3 plate i work behind so i dont use the flip downs a ton. i also have 2 pair of dydids and a all plastic frame built in shade 5 flip down aura 92's that are pretty nice though a bit heavy. ive used phillips when they first came out and they worked poorly at best. but theyve changed what theyre doing a lot since then.

Quote Originally Posted by samoth890 View Post
    Thanks for all the info Nate, that was enlightening, coming from a notably badass glassblower. So in your experience, the plain didy's are okay for boro? I had always heard they were inappropriate, but they do feel easier on the eyes for me. And when you say you see sodium flare off the aura of the piece, you mean just coming off the glowing hot glass? I notice it flaring off behind the glass, pretty much like an extremely dim version of the sodium flare you'd see with no filter.
    Plain didy's are fine for my eyes (dark brown) for working just clear. As soon as I begin to add color I need to step up to a shade 3 or 5.

I see a bit of sodium flare surrounding my piece but it doesn't seem to be between me and the piece, It's more like the aura of an eclipse...

Since this thread popped back up (someone voted, but didn't post) I wanted to add my recent experience with Aura.

I never could bring myself to order Phillips. I needed new shades, but as I said before I'm really not a fan of Phillips. I had seen quite a few people ordering glasses from Mike and getting them on time, and also Mike came back to the forums and showed he was trying to regain his footing in the industry. This showed a lot imo.

So I hit Mike up again and got an immediate response. He took the time to answer my questions and help me figure out what I needed. I am a small girl and have a hard time finding frames that fit. He suggested a pair, made them up with the lens configurations I wanted, and mailed them out. I also ordered a pair for Kris.

They were beautifully made, but unfortunately didn't fit. I felt really bad going back to him and telling him they didn't fit, but he said he'd be glad to fix the problem. He said he would find a smaller frame and get back to me.

I sent them off and waited. Not long after, a box came with blank frames for us to try on. They fit! And they were stylish, as well. I sent back the frames and not long after they came back with proper lenses installed. 3/5 splits, also beautifully made.

Mike went above and beyond for me, as he had done in the past. Whatever was keeping him from communicating before seems to have been solved, and he is on it.

Also...as I mentioned before Mike had sent my kids various pairs of glasses over the years as they grew, from toddler sized and up as they grew. His kid program offers Aura 92. I was going to order some boro glasses for my kiddos but ended up having to wait on that as Kris really needed a pair...he was using just regular didids. Mike went above the above and beyond and made my kiddos a pair of proper boro lenses and comped them under his kid program for us.

Since that was a customer service review, and this thread started out as a product versus product only question so to address that, I still say...Aura Lens > Phillips.

Thanks again Mike for the awesome glasses and for taking good care of us.
    ~Misha

we are glass blowers right? Aura lens are made out of Glass lenses.....phillips are plastic. I think answer to which one to go with is rather obvious.

not sure what your experience is, but every pair of Phillips glasses I have seen (hundreds of pairs) have glass lenses - the cheapy $50 ones that they don't actually make might have polycarbonate lenses. I think Aura lens also seels those cheap plastic lens "birth control" frame glasses as well.

that said, I prefer Aura's by a huge margin.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Auras all the way. Phillips lenses don't seem to filter as well, and cause me headaches. I'll never use anything besides aura lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    not sure what your experience is, but every pair of Phillips glasses I have seen (hundreds of pairs) have glass lenses - the cheapy $50 ones that they don't actually make might have polycarbonate lenses. I think Aura lens also seels those cheap plastic lens "birth control" frame glasses as well.

that said, I prefer Aura's by a huge margin.
    No, Doug, we don't. We don't sell plastic lenses at all, and we don't sell cheap plastic "birth control" frames. Some of the frames may *look* like birth control glasses lol, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

Love my aura's!
    Just wish i could get some new silicon or rubber parts for them.
    New elastic band would be nice as well.
    The world is a vampire... "Smashing pumpkins"

Quote Originally Posted by misled youth View Post
    Love my aura's!
    Just wish i could get some new silicon or rubber parts for them.
    New elastic band would be nice as well.
    We have an upgrade program for any one using the old Zoom goggle: http://www.auralens.net/upgrade-to-l...-sports-goggle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Aurelius View Post
    We have an upgrade program for any one using the old Zoom goggle: http://www.auralens.net/upgrade-to-l...-sports-goggle
    Nice! I was just thinking about calling you the other day to see if you can switch out lenses from old goggles to a new frame.
    overpaid assembly line worker and underpaid businessman

I agree with Misha...the first glasses I bought were Phillips Shade 5s. I liked them, but I started to feel like they weren't protecting me all the way. My eyes started to get really dry, and some colorwork was bright enough to make me squint a bit. I like the glasses, and they have lasted for a few years. However, Mike has been quite helpful on a couple different projects, and I am excited to try Aura Lens. They will be on the way on Monday, and I'll update when I get them

what aura lens are is everyone using? 203's 250's? 3's or 5's?

I want to replace my Phillips with some auras. I like the darkness I have now but don't know if they are 3's or 5's. posted is a pic of lens if anyone knows.

Mike, is the c2 frame with no scrip lens a pretty quick ship item? if its the wrong shade can I send them back for exchange?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lens1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	65712

Name:	lens2.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	65713
    thanks

I've only ever used Phillips 5's and never experienced any eye fatigue so far but I'm pretty new.
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Posting my recent experience with aura.

So in this thread not long ago i commented about my old shades.
    They were 286 sport goggles with a 3/5 split from 1998 mikes words "those are ancient"
    They were pretty wore out. The lenses were fine but the frames were DEAD!

I followed mikes link that he posted. Chose my frames and clicked buy.
    Mike pm'd me and got the specs on the glasses and started making them. I sent my old giant ugly shades
    To mikes shop via ups. During the waiting period "1 week start to finish" i sent several pm's to mike and he answered all
    Questions in a quick manner.
    A week after placing order my new shades showed up via USPS signature required. I signed and brought the box inside.
    Opened the box and discovered my lovely new specs. They were half the size of my old ones and probably 1/3rd the weight.
    I ordered the head strap with them cause i prefer them to not fall down my face.
    With the arms on the glasses were to tight "i have a big head" but once i took them off and replaced with the head band they were great. The nose piece is adjustable which is great.
    The fit and finish is flawless and I could not be happier "unless they were delivered via stripogram".

So to anyone that does not want to read this long winded half baked post the bottom line is
    Aura's rule! Mike seems to have changed from the old days for the better. So don't waste your money buying Phillips.
    Spend the money and get the best.

Mike, thanks again man. Much appreciated. Your upgrade plan is tits and of course your shads are top notch
    The world is a vampire... "Smashing pumpkins"

Quote Originally Posted by Hung Low View Post
    what aura lens are is everyone using? 203's 250's? 3's or 5's?

I want to replace my Phillips with some auras. I like the darkness I have now but don't know if they are 3's or 5's. posted is a pic of lens if anyone knows.

Mike, is the c2 frame with no scrip lens a pretty quick ship item? if its the wrong shade can I send them back for exchange?

Name:	lens1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	65712

Name:	lens2.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	65713
    thanks
    It is very difficult to tell what those are, but I would *guess* a shade 3. That's only a guess.

I would have to have them in my hand to match to our existing lenses to see exactly what shade it is.

Lead time right now is about 3 weeks because of my upcoming surgery (Monday).

thanks for the reply Mike. That's the only pair I have now so I couldn't send them in to match. Do you have any sample pieces shade 3-6?

and again JL tomorrow on the surgery.

I have a pair of lenses, anyone know if you can send them in to get them put into frames, anywhere?. I've tried emailing haven't gotten a response.
    @B.RY_glass

Default Re: A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945

OK, Ill start. I only have tried the el cheapo plastic safety didy glasses from phillips, and they are ok. Haven't tried the higher quality phillips, so can't say anything about them.

I have 3 pairs of aura's, and like the quality. I've never had any of the business/delay/shipping issues that seem to plague the anti aura posts, but maybe I was just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rye-oNeR View Post
    I have a pair of lenses, anyone know if you can send them in to get them put into frames, anywhere?. I've tried emailing haven't gotten a response.
    Trying to fit lenses from an old/broken frame is near to impossible if the frame model is no longer available.