The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RC progression

Default RC progression

So I almost have my first full case and a meeting with a shop to sell them. Figured its a good time to start this.

Any thoughts are appreciated I just want to get better. I will update whenever I feel I've made it a few steps further in my work.

Be honest I can take it. Any opinions on what I should ask for are also appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	45452Click image for larger version. 

Views:	147 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	45448

Views:	154 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	45449Click image for larger version. 

Views:	148 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	45450

Views:	160 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	45451
    Last edited by ronnieclaymusic; 01-25-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Default Re: RC progression

Shaping looks good, dots are melted on fully, only couple things I can think of are make sure the bowls are pushed at angle towards the mouthpiece, and hit the bowl with a nice sharp flame to smooth it out after you push so you get rid of those lines. Otherwise looks great, good work!

RC they look pretty good my favorite one is the green wrap and rake .I would say atm to try to work on consistency .pick one shape and try to nail it over and over.try to pay alot of attention to the inside and outside walls
    for example the pipe second from the bottom. http://www.talkglass.com/forum/attac...143770&thumb=1 the thicker part in center to me would look alot better if it kept that restriction and condensing at the same width all the way to the mouth piece.try to make it so that the hole at mouth piece was the same size as the restriction up the middle. there is no reason the end should still have the shaping of the original tube unless your avoiding working it some of the examples have more work and condensing in mouth piece then others take more control of the pipes shape to the mouthpiece.

i think in a best case scenario you can look to get 3$ on the ones that are just colored on head and might get 4-5 on the best full color ones.
    that was similar to some pipes i sold to a medical co-op when i was starting .they were much easier sales then local shops who have offered me 5$ for what i consider a really nice spoon with 3 layers of completely encased color i could not suck it up that hard since i had probably 3-5 $ worth of color on it .the shop owner who was really nice said that the pipe was nice but had no special niche to it so was competing directly with his import stuff and that offering me 5 $ on it was alot more then he pays on his imports. that same guy wants to give me 15 $ only on a 19 mm gog water bubbler with glass nail and dome and they have to be clean! depending on how tuff your market is you might not even be able to sell them . eventually they will all find homes. i have a bunch of my early pipes that look similar i throw em in a box and i tell my friends who come over any pipe in that box is 2$
    there are a couple in there that are pretty nice pipes If i was a shop owner id try to get about 1/3 of whats in that case off you, id low ball you to 3$ on em and send you home with the rest and id be smiling dont be surprised if that's what the actual shop owner does. take a look at whats in his cases before you talk to him see how your pipes line up with what he has in stock.
    pick some stuff you think is comparable to yours and see what hes charging cut that price in 1/2 at best and you might get a sale especially if you can show him some way yours is better good glass good colors thicker etc. i am very new to this at 10 months and have only visited a couple shops so im sure my perspective is very limited on this

Thx for the advice guys. I have been purposely working the mouthpieces to have the rounder shape. Are you saying they would be better just straight like the stem? Also the pieces are mostly around 4 inches and thick. Maybe I'm not right on my math but I think each piece has between 1-2$ of glass a piece. So your estimates feel a little low to me. But I admit my experience is non existent when selling to stores. But my friends have been happily giving me 15-20$ for similar pipes. Any thoughts? Last thing I want to do is rip off my friends.
    Last edited by ronnieclaymusic; 01-31-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Those are all nice spoons man. Your friends are getting a terrific deal @15 ea.

Uhh... I disagree with most of what that dude said. Those pieces are worth way more than that. I think the shaping looks damn consistent and from what I can see the mouthpieces look fine.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

I was saying to make the wall thickness more even . ideally the inside and outside wall shapes should match and be perfectly parallel to one another
    restrictions in the middle are a plus to me because they smoke travels more directly down the pipe.
    so i was suggesting continuing that thickness that was in middle all the way to the mouthpiece hole .
    this leaves no area to let the smoke slow down and make back swirls which is a good thing.

i sell to my friends the very best i can make between 4-6 inches long and the ones that weigh over 70-80 grams ideally closer to or over 100 grams
    at 10$.as my work has gotten better the prices ill take for stuff has actually dropped alot and i think i have started to hit the spot where my quality and price point are making sense to more shop owners
    i know my prices from the shop were super low thats how my experiences have been and i was trying to prepare you for the same.
    selling to shops with product that is comparable to their imports is a hard market.

some stuff you will make ends up working great other stuff will not be price effective. when your prices are so narrow that the only way you can make money is buy buying cheaper materials china tube and joints and only your best earners will make money your probably pricing just about right to get into most low end
    import shops .
    i dont like working that way but it seems to be what the guys in the cheap shops want. i have boxes of german and indian joints and same with tube.
    cheap stuff gets made with cheap materials or i loose money even faster
    its the difference between me making roughly 8 an hour or 30

let me know how your actual meeting goes

Ok, so every time the smoke contacts a surface it deposits resin, leading to a smoother smoke. Basically the rougher you are with the smoke the smoother it is by the time it gets to you. I am prepared to argue that a piece with multiple expansions and constrictions hits a lot smoother than a pipe with a straight tube down the middle of it. The constrictions are a surface for the smoke to hit. It deposits resin as it squeezes through. Once it hits the expanded area on the other side the smoke expands and contacts the walls again. Then the pieces constrict again for the mouth piece hole giving the smoke another chance to squeeze down and rub against the walls of the mouthpiece.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

-Funksizzle

I'm not sure about what would hit smoother not really my area of expertise.

I just have read so many posts here about pricing and its hard to figure out the right path in my situation. I know there are so many factors including location and quality and who your selling to etc. I know everyone goes through this dilemma at some point. I'm starting somewhat of an apprenticeship in two weeks with a guy who's selling lots so hopefully ill gets some good advice from him as well. You guys are great , everyone seems to have a differing opinion but that's wha comes from different backgrounds.

I work for a distro. I price glass for a living. I'd charge 5-10 for those. They look super heavy
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

-Funksizzle

Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ View Post
    I work for a distro. I price glass for a living. I'd charge 5-10 for those. They look super heavy
    Thx man much appreciated

@ TlkQ: Repped. I'm with ya on this one. I would say $5-$10 as well, depending on which ones.

Another thing to remember is that your friends buy single pipes. $15 or $20 for a decent spoon with a little work and some thickness is a pretty decent deal. Ideally, you will be selling them for $5-$10 to someone who will buy several off of you, and resell them for $20 themselves.

TiKQ my buddy made a onie that had many restrictions and openings the other day as you were describing . we smoked out of it and it was very nice .I have noted that pipes where the flow bends more seem much smoother hitting. i thought it had to do with the more opportunity for the smoke to run into a glass wall but thought more in terms of cooling then resin deposits . so i try to make my pieces with this in mind , like how sherlock style has some good bends and they seem to hit very smooth.
    i have smoked out of some long churchwarden pipes where the back end is a long thin diameter tube of thick glass and they were some of the smoothest dry pieces i have ever hit.

i think alot of the features in the pipes serve multiple purposes IE hitting walls cools as well as gives a chance to deposit resin but once smoke is cool additional distance to your mouth just makes stale smoke at some point. i try to push the bowl heavily tipped towards the mouth piece so the smoke hits the front floor of the pipe then has to bend back and go up the hump where bottom of the bowl lifts to the stem by this time the smoke is pretty cool and im just trying to avoid back swirls and get it up to mouth while it still has flavor.
    i dont think constrictions that open again are a bad thing and will say your right in your thinking. To me the pipe in question would look better with more even wall thicknesses .

I am in southern California the market here is extremely competitive. I have no doubt the local shops are also low balling me.
    the same pipe the shop owner offered me 5 $ my buddy from vegas came down today picked up at 7$ and is going to take to vegas and sell to a shop near his house at 9$.

i am also partial to the spoon middle row right side http://www.talkglass.com/forum/attac...143936&thumb=1
    that or the green wrap and rake are my favorites

Remember some shop owners will never pay what you ask as they always want a deal. Random case sales are a chance to take advantage. When i use to sell shop to shop and i had that one shop owner that would always low ball me i would inflate my asking price so he would hit me with a lowball that was what i really wanted. He thought he was getting over on me and i was getting the money i wanted.
    hashmasta-kut "i love my buttplug on a stick ass well."

Quote Originally Posted by James Sowell View Post
    I am in southern California the market here is extremely competitive. I have no doubt the local shops are also low balling me.
    the same pipe the shop owner offered me 5 $ my buddy from vegas came down today picked up at 7$ and is going to take to vegas and sell to a shop near his house at 9$.

i am also partial to the spoon middle row right side http://www.talkglass.com/forum/attac...143936&thumb=1
    that or the green wrap and rake are my favorites

Just curious where abouts in southern california are you James? I will be looking at selling in the socal area in the next 6 months and I want to get an idea of what we get out here
    ~J.Herbert~

in disneyland area

Right on I'm not too far from you, I'd love to swing by your shop sometime! (El Segundo area near lax)
    ~J.Herbert~

Im in Big bear lake(SOCAL) im the olny blower in my town I know of its kinda nice not to much competition locally for me.I olny do custom orders for friends and I sell all of my other work to the medical shops in my town,I love it instead of dealing with head shop owners who low ball me i get the price I want.If they don't sell glass they do after the meet me,just make a offer they can't refuse.Consignments can be a key to get in the door.Keep to your style and your glass will sell,I add millis or dirco images to each and every piece I sell I really think it saved my glass biz people will buy a rap and rake with a little skull milli before a thick inside out or solid color pipe.Not sure why but its unreal I give pipes to friends and family all the time"Pick anything you want"after looking at a 100 pipes they want one of my 10$ rap and rakes.I even let people pick 2 or 3 just to see what people like with out having money in the decision every time they love my cheapest ones go figure.I keep my work cheap enough so who ever it selling it gets a 3X mark up.I try not to bother with under a 1000 $ at a time ,keeps the small fish outta my tank as I work a full time roofing job so its really not worth it to sell little amounts and I can give a better deal on bulk buys.

Quote Originally Posted by marktsunami View Post
    make sure the bowls are pushed at angle towards the mouthpiece

NO NO NO!

Make sure your bowl hole is angled towards the back of the head. Bowls angled towards the mouth will be salad shooters and result in throat comets. Bowls angled towards the back of the head will catch plant matter better.

Aymie