The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where do you get your color?

Default Where do you get your color?

Ive been looking around online and the cheapest place i can find color rod is http://www.frantzartglass.com/
    8-12$ quarter lbs, 35-40$ lbs..
    most consistent low prices ive seen...

Where do you get your color?

Default Re: Where do you get your color?

direct from factory... minimum orders apply.
    Thanks,

Andrew

colonel4bin Lurker

Mountain Glass Arts http://www.mountainglass.com will do you right, I've switched to them recently and their customer service is top notch. Frantz is good as well but I mostly use them for soft glass.

Really Moch??

I Know Abe over at Northstar had a minimum 1st purchase plus X amount / yr to qualify as distro.

For the small shop owner GA said absolutely not!! Seems like only "HUGE" players get that privilege ............

Momka says no prob, seems like that is why she left GA, so that even the small merchant gets a fair shake..............

Can not personally speak for TAG as I never did the leg work to see .................
    Are we having fun yet??

Quote Originally Posted by byron3 View Post
    Really Moch??
    Question was where do you get your color, Moch orders big

Northstar..you'll need to go through a distributor unless you're ordering a lot. 5# isn't a lot.

GA does some deal direct, but you're not getting much of a deal over distributors. The annual LOC sale's coming up though, so stock up.

Momka does deal direct, but if you search, you might find a sale from someone.

TAG has a 100 dollar minimum order if you order from them.

In most cases you can find a sale, or try MGA for awesome service.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

yeah im not talking big orders, just pounds here and there.. i think im just going to stick with frantz.. id rather pay their 42/lb than 60/lb elsewhere

What is the annual LOC sale?

+1 for Mountain Glass. The only time I had a customer service experience there, it ended up being so impressive I wrote a paper on it for a Customer Service class. They rock.

fuckin' whatever, i love those guys, but i one time asked for a deal and they offered me a hoody. thanks brah, but no thanks
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Northstar..you'll need to go through a distributor unless you're ordering a lot. 5# isn't a lot.
    what is alot? Im looking up at stocking up while I have some $$$(like 80#+) last order I did to abr was 30#(of just NS) when they had a good deal mid december but Im already runnin low.

A few years ago, I split a 120# order direct from GA. They were very helpful and easy to work with. I would recommend purchasing direct from the source as well.

The LOC sale is the "love our customers" sale every valentines day for GA. They offer great discounts on their occasional quality rod (comparable to seconds/odds with NS). Its a great time to stock up on inexpensive color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

mountain will price match any price that is listed.
    No really I was taught that way. It is venetian. That is how lampworking was invented. Back 5000 years ago, it was to enslave women and children and make them make christmas ornaments wile the men worked in the hotshop.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    mountain will price match any price that is listed.
    at least thats what they say. Ever tried to get them to do this? i did, didn't work. they insisted that the prices i was comparing to weren't current. and make sure your paying the price you think you are. when i ordered from them i was supposed to get 30% off the per lbs price instead i found out i was getting 30% off the rod price, and when i called and told them they said maybe next time we'll give you that discount but it's to late to do anything about it now. Even tho they gave me a membership 100 dollar value. I still haven't went back. no sweat off my back. since then i've spent around 2,000 $ in color alone not to mention another 1000 for clear and its only been like 8 months. I've heard plenty of people with good customer service from them but have yet to get it. And it never fails everytime i try and give them the benefit of the doubt and try and get a price match, all i get is the run around.

peace.

I'd look into Salt City Glass. I have just started dealing with Robert and so far all I can say is that I'm EXTREMELY satisfied. They forgot to ship some dychro with my last order(with came with 5 extra rods of premium color I did not order) and Robert no questions asked sent me out twice the amount I originally ordered and also sent me another rod of Amber Purple. As of this point I couldn't be more happy.
    Can "nothing" exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry-Allen View Post
    at least thats what they say. Ever tried to get them to do this? i did, didn't work. they insisted that the prices i was comparing to weren't current. and make sure your paying the price you think you are. when i ordered from them i was supposed to get 30% off the per lbs price instead i found out i was getting 30% off the rod price, and when i called and told them they said maybe next time we'll give you that discount but it's to late to do anything about it now. Even tho they gave me a membership 100 dollar value. I still haven't went back. no sweat off my back. since then i've spent around 2,000 $ in color alone not to mention another 1000 for clear and its only been like 8 months. I've heard plenty of people with good customer service from them but have yet to get it. And it never fails everytime i try and give them the benefit of the doubt and try and get a price match, all i get is the run around.

peace.
    That happened with my old roomate kind of. He was supposed to have an automatic 35% and he thought he was for a long time. Well, I checked his invoice one time after I thought it seemed kind of high, uuum yeah... They had 35% written on his invoices but all I could find was 10%. I tried it on just the color(nope), just the clear rod(nope), just the tubing(nope). It was a true 10% being offered at 35%, I've never seen anybody pull that trick before. When he talked to them on the phone they confirmed his 35% discount but had no explanation for the price being incorrect beside just saying sorry.

I'm not saying they're a bad company or that their prices are bad, but just like what was said before, watch your invoice.
    Can "nothing" exist?

Quote Originally Posted by byron3 View Post
    Really Moch??
    Yeah, the last time i ordered color it was 350 lbs worth. I would also like to point out that i run a full time shop and we frequently order in bulk. And we had 3 crucible ovens. We also order pallets of clear glass a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
    Question was where do you get your color, Moch orders big
    Exactly, I didn't mean to sound like a dick or a baller, but it's been a while since i've just ordered a pound here and there. Usually when i order color it's a few pounds of this, a few pounds of that, etc... i usually only order once or twice a year when i'm actually using the rod for anything but tube dips.

Quote Originally Posted by crsaz View Post
    what is alot? Im looking up at stocking up while I have some $$$(like 80#+) last order I did to abr was 30#(of just NS) when they had a good deal mid december but Im already runnin low.
    80+ lbs should be enough for you to go direct to the factory. Again, i'm not sure what North star's agreement is, but i'd hope a $2,000+ order wouldn't be turned down.
    Thanks,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Barry-Allen View Post

peace.
    sorry it didn't work for you. they always have hooked me up. and abr too, for color....and if you are only getting 35% off list on clear you aren't trying hard enough. or buying enough. there is a place that always sells rods at 30% off so you can always quote that price...you'll have to figure out what site it is tho

buy pallets of clear or you are being robbed on shipping and clear pound price
    No really I was taught that way. It is venetian. That is how lampworking was invented. Back 5000 years ago, it was to enslave women and children and make them make christmas ornaments wile the men worked in the hotshop.

mountain glass...or glass alchemy direct

all glass distributors will most likely price match... but i go through TAG... First time ordering ... they explain what they have in great detail, jenny is awesome and a world of help... I have friends who go to alchemy and have pretty satisfying results ... I personally love the customer service , the low shipping cost and last but not least the quality!! Yes you do have to spend $100 but you are treated like you are spending $10000000. From what I have experienced I think I'l go Tag and alchemy all the way...

colonel4bin Lurker

No doubt, you should always check any invoice, it's the first thing I do after weighing my color and making sure it's all there. It may be anal but those things can add up over time and you'd be surprised the errors I've seen on invoices, especially in this industry.