The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hurricane oxy generator + red max

Naughty hurricane oxy generator + red max

I'm looking into generators and was wondering if anyone had run this set-up before and, if so, how well did it work. Also not sure if I need a back-up tank to hook up to the generator if it drops in pressure while I'm working.

Unlimited Oxygen says there gen's can run 24/7 but I'm skeptical having never used one before. I would love to be done buying liquid tanks.

Any thoughts or knowledge is much appreciated..... thanks in advance.

Zafa

Default Re: hurricane oxy generator + red max

I have "2" M-15's running 8lpm/ 15psi each & they're spliced together to power my victor cutting torch with a small tip. I can crank them super hot with little fluctuation. There's no way that would power my redmax alone. 2- m15's should essentially give 30psi & 16lpm & 3 should give 45psi & 24lpm. I'm sure they battle eachother though & lower all those ratings.

I just saw a thread where a guy spliced 3 m15's together to run the red max & that seemed to work well. They're priced at $350 each & if I remember seeing correctly, unlimited oxy was offering free shipping.

By simple math it seems you can get more psi & lpm's for cheaper buying multiple M-15's or even 20's in comparison to a hurricane. But they suck more electric & take up more space for sure.

My goal is to sell my 6 yr old machines & get 3 m-20's to power a Phantom or hopefully mirage if they can keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by djdascool View Post
    I have "2" M-15's running 8lpm/ 15psi each & they're spliced together to power my victor cutting torch with a small tip. I can crank them super hot with little fluctuation. There's no way that would power my redmax alone. 2- m15's should essentially give 30psi & 16lpm & 3 should give 45psi & 24lpm. I'm sure they battle eachother though & lower all those ratings.
    I think your wrong about one of those numbers. The LPM would compound for each machine you add, but the PSI would not.

So if you had 3 m-15's you would be getting 24 LPM at 15 PSI. If you had two, it would be 16 LPM at 15 PSI.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I think your wrong about one of those numbers. The LPM would compound for each machine you add, but the PSI would not.

So if you had 3 m-15's you would be getting 24 LPM at 15 PSI. If you had two, it would be 16 LPM at 15 PSI.
    Yeah I figured. In my post I was saying they probably battle eachother & lower the figures but I wasn't sure to what extent. When I purchased mine from ABR I wastold I only needed one for $800 & I immediately realized I needed two. Now I see Unlimted oxy selling the same model for $350 each and free shipping! FML

I do most of my work on a victor cutting torch running 2 outdated m-20's which are now considered the m-15's and they work great for me. I think I'm going to get 1 K tank & keep it hooked up directly to my redmax for the more rare times I fire it up. I've been really getting inspired by glass lately & want to be in the studio all day everyday....what better way than to have on-hand oxy machines.

We sold three EX 15's to a fella, who ran his red max successfully. The 3 EX's are definitely more efficient for the money than the Hurricane/H2.

We don't sell M-15's, nor do we have any concentrator that lists at $800. Did you get a new EX-15, with the three year warranty? They do list at 700. But we have the scratch n dents for 350.

I've seen National's, and Smith's run on 1, 15 psi machine. Not sure about the Victor.

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

Quote Originally Posted by daveabr View Post
    We sold three EX 15's to a fella, who ran his red max successfully. The 3 EX's are definitely more efficient for the money than the Hurricane/H2.

We don't sell M-15's, nor do we have any concentrator that lists at $800. Did you get a new EX-15, with the three year warranty? They do list at 700. But we have the scratch n dents for 350.

I've seen National's, and Smith's run on 1, 15 psi machine. Not sure about the Victor.
    Oh..hey there.

I bought mine many years back when they 1st came on the market. This was before Unlimited oxy realized they needed to make some alterations to them to keep them from fluctuating so bad...I believe it was a compressor, pump or holding tank issue. My old M-20 are now considered the m-15(8lpm/15psi) I paid $750 each at the time +shipping...2005 or something.

They work great though and no complaints. I shipped them across country from CA back in October & they arrived in NH before I did smashed to shit. I got $1000 worth of ins money from UPS. One has a huge cracked hole in the top, ones missing the back door, both need new filters, they're both missing wheels from the shipping damage too. But both still rip like they did when I bought them back in the day. I did notice they don't work well in the cold anymore though. I'm hoping to upgrade before next winter to a couple brand new ones.

I had a Hurricane and a 22 gal tank running a red max for a while. It ran the small fire fine, but the big flame was barely there. It'd light, but it wouldn't get very hot at all. Super super reducing.

Part of the issue was when the tank ran out the o2 had to go through 40 ft of hose and the tank before it got to the torch. It would probably run it better if you ran right off the oxycon, but there might be flutter in your flame. I never ran mine without the tank
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

so it looks like the hurricane isn't really a viable option as I run the hell outta my red max. I am curious as to why it doesn't run your red max major flame when they are pushing 30 psi? I run my torch at around 20 psi. I'm not that sure on the lpm situation, though, and what the red max needs to run nice and juicy.

Is running your 3 m-15's pretty loud? also, can they run 6-8 hrs or is there a building time for pressure?

Thanks for the feedback guys....much appreciated
    Last edited by Louie HaHa; 05-21-2011 at 02:43 AM.

I meant your 2 m-15's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkhQXKY0K8

that video is (3) ex-15's with a redmax

my buddy has an h1 with a redmax and from what i remember, the big flame running alone on his h1 looked to be in between the first ex-15 flame and second ex-15 flame on the video

Quote Originally Posted by KILGORE View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkhQXKY0K8

that video is (3) ex-15's with a redmax

my buddy has an h1 with a redmax and from what i remember, the big flame running alone on his h1 looked to be in between the first ex-15 flame and second ex-15 flame on the video
    That video is mine from a long while ago, so let me add some footnotes to it....

I now run a Mirage off of tanked Oxygen. When switched to tanked from the 3 EX-15's for a night when I had both, there was no comparison between tanked o2 and 3 concentrators.

If you are doing small pendant work, small spoons, small stuff, tube 25mm or under, the concentrators will be just great. What you WONT have is any real oxidizing flame and you wont really be able to work colors too well at all.

The Hurricane sure is more psi, but they all are and arent. My left nut that the EX-15's are really 15psi. Try more like 12.

I would strongly, strongly, strongly suggest saying "hell no" to the concentrator. Buy a single 5LPM concentrator for $250, hook it up to a Homefill II for $700 on eBay and get a custom whip for it from drew on the boards. You can then fill your own tanks for $2.88 per K tank.

THAT way you get the maximum pressure of tanked oxygen, with all of the benefits of creating your own on site.

3 EX-15's pumping out 15psi/24lpm ends up costing the same as the (1)EX-5/(1)HomefillII. I dont know why I could honestly recommend a concentrator to anyone when for under a grand you can make your own K tanks now.

Hope this helps

I thought I read on here that you need like 20 psi oxycon in order to run the homefill. is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by KILGORE View Post
    I thought I read on here that you need like 20 psi oxycon in order to run the homefill. is that true?
    The absolute opposite is true. It just needs to be around 5 lpm, the psi doesnt matter. You can use an EX-5, if you use the EX-10 or EX-15 they will work too but they still wont load your tanks faster. This is what I've read from the homefill thread of course, my system is still being sought after on eBay/CList.

this is what I was referring to in his classified thread

Quote Originally Posted by drew1492 View Post
    What you need is an oxygen supply of 14-21 psi of 90+%02 from a concentrator. The machine uses 2 LPM. Many cheap 5lpm Invacare units have a connection on the bottom back that you can hook the homefill directly to.

I make fairly burly pieces so it looks like the concentrators a no-go. I never considered the option to just fill my own k tanks.... that's brilliant. I'll have to look into all of this. Thanks a ton for the knowledge guys. Hopefully I'll be able to get this system set up sooner than later.

How long does it take to fill a k tank with your system?

according to I believe metalbones homefill thread that I just checked out it says about 24 hours and depending on where you live and how much electricity is can cost around $5-$10 maybe more maybe less

What are K tanks?

Homefill FTW for around $1200 you can have a machine that fills tanks and gives you as much pressure as you need. If you burn more than half a large cylinder in a day buy 2.... I run 4

Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    What are K tanks?
    Oxygen cylinder that holds around 280 cubic feet