The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Masters Degree in Arts, Glassblowing

Default Masters Degree in Arts, Glassblowing

Does anyone know of a college that offeres a masters degree in art with glassblowing as a concentration (torchworking)? I am going to be finished with my bachelors degree in another semester and I am looking into the options of going to graduate school.

Default Re: Masters Degree in Arts, Glassblowing

Tyler Art School at Temple University in Philly

Thank you for your help. I checked it out. All I see is undergraduate stuff and the degree was not listed under there list of degrees.
    http://www.temple.edu/gradbulletin/alphaindex.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GDEADWHALE View Post
    Tyler Art School at Temple University in Philly

I might stay at the college I am now but they only offer an M.A. in Liberal Studies. Which is 6 classes of liberal arts and 6 electives. I am an A student in my art studio classes but I get a lot of C's in my acedemics. So I was thinking an M.F.A. would be best for me. I just have to find a college that would accept me. I don't have that many references. I am thinking about using my art teacher now and a arts and crafts gallery I do business with if it was possible.
    I am getting my undergraduate degree in drawing and painting. It is a B.S. in fine arts. I only have 3 classes left after this semester.

we'll give you all the referances you need! have them check your rep here lol.

have you looked into Alfred University? i know they have glassblowing...not sure about flamework.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

I know there is a university in Illinois that offers graduate studies in Glassblowing but its furnace work not on a torch.

Might want to check out steinert industries page on schools and studios.

http://www.steinertindustries.com/In...orsSchools.htm
    Is it Beer :30 yet?

I think Alfred is the same. I used to work in a hotshop with a bunch of Alfred graduates. I think there glassblowing program is very competitive for your masters also. I am just a torchworker. I don't have the portfolio to go to graduate school for furnace working. I also don't have the interest in that kind of glassblowing to pursue it. Owning a hotshop is too much work for me. I do not think I could do it. It is really expensive also.

VCU in Virginia I would so love to go there myself but that and like the Road Island School of Design are I think the top Glass blowing Schools in the world of Academia. One Idea I have had is to go for sculpture and just use glass as my medium... might find a school that will just let you make shit on the torch for all you work but its doubt full...

I believe ASU in Tempe,
    AZ has a scientific glassblowing courses

I have only studied Venetian style glassblowing in corning NY. I think they have a two year program at corning community college also.
    Nothing past that though. I have time to think about it. Thanks for the help.

Cool man, you should post up some of your drawings & paintings, that'd be awesome!!

http://facebook.com/damon.beaudry
    You can check out my facebook site. I post pics on there all the time.

Apply to VCU crafts program for an MFA best teachers in the country hands down. just look up who the flame working teacher is and that should be enough. But hinestly if your going to grad school you might wanna try a medium you haven't tried yet or learn some new tricks thats why i suggest this.

Looks intense man. I can not find that much info on glassblowing. But it looks like they have a big ceramics department with glass as a medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Architeuthis dux View Post
    Apply to VCU crafts program for an MFA best teachers in the country hands down. just look up who the flame working teacher is and that should be enough. But hinestly if your going to grad school you might wanna try a medium you haven't tried yet or learn some new tricks thats why i suggest this.

Quote Originally Posted by rvp117 View Post
    I know there is a university in Illinois that offers graduate studies in Glassblowing but its furnace work not on a torch.
    SIU still has a program, I believe. University of Illinois no longer offers glassblowing.

VCU looked pretty good for a glass based curriculum, but I don't recognize anyone on the teacher's list. One guy's name sounds familiar....the work is nice though!

Maybe I will have to get my masters degree and try to start a program for torchworking myself? You need a masters degree to get a job teaching. I am not sure if it would matter what my masters was in also.
    Because it does not look like there is anything in college for torchworking really.

going to a masters program is required to teach at a university but the best "glassblowers" teach not at universitys, getting your master to teach would be a waste of time in MY opinion, not that you asked for it just think about why that have masters programs and why they have teachers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Maybe I will have to get my masters degree and try to start a program for torchworking myself? You need a masters degree to get a job teaching. I am not sure if it would matter what my masters was in also.
    Because it does not look like there is anything in college for torchworking really.

Dale Chihuli started a school at rhode island school of design. He could not have done this if he had not had two masters degrees.

Dale Chihuly studied under Harvey Littleton, (the founder of the studio glass movement in usa) at the University of Wisconsin. I believe he transferred to Risd. Where he later became the Professor of the new found department in glass. Harvey Littleton started the first glass program at an American University in 1962 (U. of W. Madison).

AU does have the highest ranked glass program in NYS. Not much for lampworking but they do have neon. Im starting there in the fall in pursuit of a BFA.