The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: siphon system sandblast nozzle

Default siphon system sandblast nozzle

I got a new sand blast cabinet. Its a siphon feed and I dont use it enough to uprgade to a pressure pot. I need to replace the nozzle. Thing is it's 3/4 in outer diameter and im having a hell of a time finding something with a smaller inner diameter. I'd like to use it because it's solid brass I just cant find a tip that wont rip thru my rapid mask. Any one know a good supplier of carbide tips?

Default Re: siphon system sandblast nozzle

http://www.glastar.com/catalog/sandblasting.cfm

should have what you need...

If it's a Harbor Freight blaster I would try their website.

Otherwise, google "sand blaster nozzles"

And if it's ripping through your mask you're either using too much pressure, sitting in one area too long, or working too close to the glass. Also, what are you expecting the rapidmask to allow you to do? you can't deep sand carve with the rapid mask stuff I've seen.... for that you want vinyl or buttercut stencils.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Believe me I googled sandblast nozzle lol. Most sites geared towards glass are 1/2 in tips. the rest of the sites I found is just a cluster fuck. they have 10,000 items and dont put much info about tips on their sites. It's not a harbor freight. Its an old school heavy duty cabinet. Foot pedal with regulator siphon feed. I was under the impression if I found a tip with a smaller orifice i would get more detail and it would not blow so much are and media at the piece. I have a big enough compressor to handle the larger nozzle but I want more control over the spray. Im headed to Eugene today. I'll swing by grainger and see what they got.

yeah... Graingers maybe, probably find something at McMaster-Carr....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#abrasive-blasters/=ly3m72

Carbide straight nozzle, in 3/4" but the hole is 5/16" ID which is going to be pretty big for smaller lighter glass stuff... Item No. 3283K72 $30.45

Basically, what it looks like, is that the gun you have is a bigger one for parts cleaning and industrial blasting, not for delicate glass work. You have to decide: Make due with what you have and find ways around the limits of it; get the right tool for the job; find some other option.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Yeah it's totally for blasting parts and shit. I'm just going to change out the gun for the more aluminum 1/2 in gun .

We use the almost all ikonics everything, including nozzles. I don't know if they will work for what you have or not but they do have carbide nozzles in many different sizes. Last time I checked they were 45$ and you do have to replace them on the regular if you want to keep the hole size because the hole gets bigger as you use it.

A better nozzle will give you more control, but I also agree it sounds like you need to turn down your pressure.

You'll spend $75-100 on a decent siphon gun....

Look around and you can find a good used pressure pot for $100.

You can use the same cabinet.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

You're near portland right?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/3687591834.html $1700 is a joke. Offer them $200 and tell them you'll get it off their property.

I have something similar at my shop I would give away free if someone would get it out of here.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

OMG I think ill stick with what I got and just upgrade to a pressure pot in the future if need be... I'll be in PDX friday but im scared of that thing lol!!!

that one is kinda scary, and it looks like the pressure pot is built in... but still...

I've picked up 2 of them for free from stained glass shops closing, both are broken but I can build a working one from the 2 I have..... The one I paid for was $100 and is in good shape.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

the diameter of the hole in your nozzle plays a crucial role when doing detailed blasting and using Rapid Mask. The nozzles i use for my pressure pot are 3/32 and i replace them semi-regularly. If you are using a siphon they recommend you use 40-60psi when using Rapid Mask. 1/2-3/4 is way too wide...

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    1/2-3/4 is way too wide...

Um. That's what she said?

Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318