The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Young Kids Torching

Default Re: Young Kids Torching

I learned soft glass beads at age 10. I was shown the basics by a friend from school (also 10) I met immediately after I moved to Texas. I then took an actual class (1 on 1) and have been off and on at the torch for 18 years now. Both of us were responsible young boys whose parents had taught us to be safe around tools and equipment that could harm us. My parents soon fully trusted me to work alone with a small torch; IE: Hot Head single tank torch head. They also helped me buy my first bigger multi-fuel torch a national 8m before I was out of high school.

Age isn't as important as being willing to follow directions and safety procedures. Some kids are much more mature than others, its a personal call on how old a kid needs to be before you could trust him/her to listen and to be safe.

If the child display interest and will obey all the safety measures then go for it.

Default Re: Young Kids Torching

Totally depends on the kid. Some will be ready to start making little critters at 6 or 7....others could be 17 and I wouldn't let the ding dong in the studio - let alone behind a torch. If you have any worry about having the kid (or anyone for that matter) behind your torch - don't teach 'em. Trust your gut.

I think the biggest thing is their interest. Kids who know they want to do glass are going to enjoy it, even if it takes them awhile to get the hang of it, and they will appreciate you took the time to show them. I've taught beadmaking to a few kids - all really wanted to do it, with the exception of one. He was kinda thrown into the class because his mom and dad were both taking it and wanted him to take it as well (think he was about 10?). The kid wasn't afraid of the torch or anything - but he wasn't interested in the least and I spent most of the class making sure he didn't burn himself since he was not watching what he was doing or where he was putting the glass, or his hand, or the tools. Total nightmare.

Jenny