The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Learning on my own?

Icon5 Learning on my own?

Hi y'all!

I'm new here, my first post on this forum

Okay, now here's the thing.

I've been interested in flameworking for a few years now. I've watched many online tutorials and read so much about it. I contacted an artist in Toronto and talked to her about taking classes with her, to which she agreed. That was back in 2009. unfortunately I had to move out of the country, and now I live in Egypt. I tried looking for some sort of classes here, but to my disappointment I couldn't find any, and not even artists.
    I talked to a few professionals about the possibility of learning on my own and they were very encouraging .. saying that learning on my own (without a proper tutor) is very much possible

So.. what do I do? Where is the best place to order a beginner's kit from? .. what should a beginner's kit include? And what do I NEED to make this work??

Any suggestions and tips would be highly appreciated

Thanks!

Default Re: Learning on my own?

The answers to your questions depend on what type of glass you want to use and what you want to make, whatever you end up going with should include Contemporary Lampworking, Volumes 1 & 2 by Bandhu S. Dunham. The third volume is also worth ordering but the first 2 come as a set and are a thorough resource equivalent to a textbook for lampworking which can answer almost any basic technique question you could have.

"YouknowhatI'msayin? For real cause I'ma approach a nigga man
    For real man, I don't want nobody sounding like me man, for real Son? No doubt
    "

http://borodecal.wix.com/mikebomes#!bio/c1xfq Old website
    MikeBomes@gmail.com Always current
    http://borodecal.wix.com/allglassdecals All Glass Decals

well welcome to the pot! this is the spot to answer all your question...get familiar with the search feature, its like the magic 8ball...
    can you get oxy tanks where you are? Keep looking for other glass blowers- their has to be some, after all egypt is where glass blowing started...
    get your gear and get on the torch, that can be the best teacher....good luck- ask questions....
    goldy

I say the same dnug get a small torch and some glass and start spinning, and asking questions, I am self taught too, I eventually found someone to show me a few things like pulling a pipe, laying lines. If you can spend money on the videos of contemporary lamp working that is good, I could not spend money on any videos I spent it on glass.

Tools are I would say keep it basic or if you have the money buy what you think you will need. basic tools I say are
    torch
    grabbers
    glass
    a marver
    *Ventilation*
    glass of different sizes both tube and rod small like 4mm large like 15mm
    tube in large like 30mm small like 19mm (this also depends on the size of torch you have)
    after that start spinning

I just had to add, if your in Egypt you will be spinning in the night because it is very hot in a glass area, here were are also in the desert most of the year we spin at night.

It's definitely possible to learn on your own, but much easier to advance with the right guidance. You will probably end up wasting a lot more money and glass on your own. Also, where will you sell your glass in Egypt? hmmmmm

I am self taught on the torch. I think in some ways you will end up a better glassblower in the long run as long as you have the desire and drive to figure things out on your own. I think the archives on this forum are an excellent resource to learn from. What do you plan on making?