The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oh, Florida...yeah... Pipe ban on the table.

Default Re: Oh, Florida...yeah... Pipe ban on the table.

Lol great vid
    ~Misha

Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ View Post
    This particular ban is actually the result of the guy who is trying to pass it recently getting into an altercation with a head shop near Tampa.
    This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread. The crack head always used to try to mess with this one shop. I'm surprised after all these years they haven't filed harassment charges.

I hear the bill has been passed and it takes effect sept. 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Cow'N View Post
    I hear the bill has been passed and it takes effect sept. 1st.
    I haven't heard anything, or read anything. Something like that would be breaking news here.
    Can "nothing" exist?

great vid

I keep reading about it.... it doesnt take effect sept. 1st its july 1st.... Has any one else heard anything?

i havent found any confirmed sources. talked to a few shop owners they said there not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cow'N View Post
    I keep reading about it.... it doesnt take effect sept. 1st its july 1st.... Has any one else heard anything?
    If you keep reading about it, post links so the rest of us can see it, sheesh.
    Can "nothing" exist?

Legislature blazes toward pipe ban

http://www.alligator.org/news/local/...a4bcf887a.html

Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:15 am

Kathryn Varn, Alligator Staff Writer | 0 comments

Glass and water pipes could be smoked out of stores if the Florida legislature passes a bill prohibiting their sale.

If Florida House of Representatives House Bill 49 becomes law, it would outlaw the sale of various smoking instruments including glass pipes and long glass water pipes — also known as bongs — statewide.

So far, the bill passed through the Criminal Justice Subcommittee as well as the Business and Professional Regulation Subcommittee. The House’s Justice Appropriations Subcommittee also reviewed the bill Tuesday morning.

The bill’s Senate counterpart, Senate Bill 1140, has moved through the Criminal Justice Committee and, most recently, the Appropriations Subcommittee on Civil and Criminal Justice on Thursday morning.

Rep. Darryl Rouson, D-St. Petersburg and sponsor of the House bill, said it’s common knowledge that pipes are used for drugs, not tobacco. He said he wants to make it difficult for drug users to buy the pipes.

“Some people criticize me because they say that this will not eradicate illegal drug usage,” he said. “My motives are to create one more impediment or obstacle to ingesting illegal drugs.”

Rouson said he was a drug addict while he attended UF’s Levin College of Law. In fact, he said, he was introduced to cocaine during exam time.

“When I got to Gainesville, the whole world opened up,” he said. “For me, [the bill is] both personal and professional.”

In 2010, Rouson sponsored a bill that allowed retailers to sell glass and water pipes under the condition that at least 75 percent of the store’s revenue comes from tobacco products. Since the bill’s passing, it has regulated the sale of glass pipes and bongs. HB 49 would change the regulation to a ban.

For local tobacco and gift shops, the new bill could hurt business.

Michael Aiello, an owner of Land B4 Time Smoke Shop Inc. in downtown Gainesville, said 65 to 70 percent of the shop’s products are glass and water pipes.

“It would hurt,” he said. “If it didn’t shut us down, we’d sure enough be struggling.”

Another local tobacco and gift shop employee, who preferred to remain anonymous, said the shop she works in could survive by selling other products. Most of her customers come to buy tobacco pipes.

Local defense attorney Craig DeThomasis has represented numerous tobacco and gift shops when similar legislative changes have happened. DeThomasis said he believes Florida is regressing as a state because prohibition has been proven to be ineffective public policy. It increases unemployment, decreases the tax base and opens up a new black market, he said.

In his 30-year career as a defense attorney, DeThomasis said he’s seen attempts to declare certain items illegal, but the latest bill is the broadest piece of legislation to “shut down what is otherwise a legitimate retail business operation.”

Gainesville Rep. Keith Perry said he supports the bill, adding public policy should be based off what’s best for the general public, not off an individual’s livelihood.

For Rouson, the bill isn’t about unemployment or a reduced tax base. Instead, he said, it’s about shutting down an operation that facilitated his drug problem and preventing addictions in the future.

“It’s about life and death,” he said. “It’s about recovery. It’s about addictions.”

This is all straight bullshit. Even if it passes are they trying to say they are gonna go out Gman style and shut everybody down? Total crap.
    Can "nothing" exist?

when there are states that are a cunthair away from legalization, i can't believe florida is trying to do this.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    when there are states that are a cunthair away from legalization, i can't believe florida is trying to do this.
    Dude! We have a bill on the table right now that is expected to pass for legal marijuana. It already has majority approval. This is just my government spending my money and making me even more broke and pissed!
    Can "nothing" exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny B View Post
    In 2010, Rouson sponsored a bill that allowed retailers to sell glass and water pipes under the condition that at least 75 percent of the store’s revenue comes from tobacco products. Since the bill’s passing, it has regulated the sale of glass pipes and bongs.
    So... say your store does $100,000 a year in sales (it's a small store) that means that you, as a separate legal entity, come in once a year and buy a $300,000 t-shirt. The next day you pay yourself an annual bonus of $300,000. It's paperwork. There's no tax because you've filed the proper paperwork claiming you're going to resell the shirt. You have this $300,000 shirt, you sit on it for a year, and sell it back to your shop just in time to recycle the process. The shirt is in this B2B limbo state, but is, at some point, available for purchase at retail. It makes a legal mockery of a law that wouldn't hold up to a proper appeal, so the state decides to never pursue you on it.

You could go one further and find some commodity or service that is tax exempt in your locality and deal in that... like here, gold and silver as a commodity isn't taxed (it's taxed if it's in a finished form of jewelry or stamped bullion but unfinished goods aren't taxed)

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    i can't believe florida is trying to do this
    i can't believe florida
    florida
    Florida
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    So... say your store does $100,000 a year in sales (it's a small store) that means that you, as a separate legal entity, come in once a year and buy a $300,000 t-shirt. The next day you pay yourself an annual bonus of $300,000. It's paperwork. There's no tax because you've filed the proper paperwork claiming you're going to resell the shirt. You have this $300,000 shirt, you sit on it for a year, and sell it back to your shop just in time to recycle the process. The shirt is in this B2B limbo state, but is, at some point, available for purchase at retail. It makes a legal mockery of a law that wouldn't hold up to a proper appeal, so the state decides to never pursue you on it.
    That's what everybody has been doing for the last three years. Maybe not that blatant, but the law is so ridiculous that I wish people would be that blatant.

This guys whole campaign is based on the fact that he was a crack head or something and he says the availability of these pipes caused him to get addicted.
    Can "nothing" exist?

gotta love crackheadz that buy 3-400$ pipes to enjoy the party!

"Rouson said he was a drug addict while he attended UF’s Levin College of Law. In fact, he said, he was introduced to cocaine during exam time."

Dude should be banning credit cards and any paper money that can be rolled for snorting. Oh and mirrors.

SO I live in florida right now and went into a local headshop. I was actually quite surprised. decent selection, no, actually good selection.

Start chatting away with the guy working there, about this and that and he says that they are hiring and I should work there, I hadnt really considered it, he said to come talk to the manager.

He said she was in on so and so day, blah blah, came back just to see whats up, and she said that the owner isnt hiring right now and saids its because of this regulation.

Apparently some mother fuckers are taking this shit serious. Funny timing for me anyways, one week they are hiring, next, not so much. Big tease.

I would love to see how much they are paying for certain companies pieces. God damn ridiculous regulation. I am moving back to colorado.
    Last edited by 303glass; 04-10-2013 at 08:37 PM.