The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stringer Stack

Default Stringer Stack

I mentioned in another thread that I tried doing a stringer vac stack and was gonna post some pics today... Well here it is, sorry for the crappy glare on the pics.

I used 2mm stringers inside some 44x4. I used some 32mm medium wall on the inside. My worry was that the small stringer lines would not retain definition when pulled down but they did.

Definitely not a prodo tech as it is more time intensive to stack inside the tube, and doesn't yield poundage. Probably step up to 50x5 or maybe 60x5 next and see if it still looks good. Just another fun way to get some lines in a tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stringer stack.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	47739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wigwag.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	47740
    Distributor of Gentec Products for the Glass Blowing Industry

Contact me for everything Gentec!

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

Default Re: Stringer Stack

Nice, probably took a while pullin em, then stacking, but it payed off. Good color combo and arrangement to.

what size gather you use for stringers, and how many 1 foot 2mms you pull at once? I'm just curious as to what size you pull yours out to. Pretty damn straight. I'm thinking my new strategy is gonna be getting the big gather smooth, using my crossfire, then snip all but a avalio, garage for a bit, work on another couple gathers, pull 1st out, weld rod quick while heating/keeping heat, using crossfire heat, then pull.

Probably wont have to push and pull as much.
    Last edited by funksizzle; 03-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Miami dolphinz colors? looks sweeet

Quote Originally Posted by funksizzle View Post
    Nice, probably took a while pullin em, then stacking, but it payed off. Good color combo and arrangement to.

what size gather you use for stringers, and how many 1 foot 2mms you pull at once? I'm just curious as to what size you pull yours out to. Pretty damn straight. I'm thinking my new strategy is gonna be getting the big gather smooth, using my crossfire, then snip all but a avalio, garage for a bit, work on another couple gathers, pull 1st out, crossfire heat, then pull.

Probably wont have to push and pull as much.
    Pullin the stringers didn't take too long, I am pretty efficient at that after doing so many for prodo back in the day. But it is definitely an added step. I pull them as long as my arm span, I don't gather the rod I just heat it and swing it around til its ready to pull.

Crammin em all in the tube was kind of a pain in the ass, but got lucky that it fit exactly 60, which made for a nice even pattern.

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

No shit, straight from rod that long, 12mm or 8mm? I'ma have to do it like that, that would take no time, cuz they seem pretty long for a technique like that. must fix em in the flame kinda perfect and a little bit at a time. ANywho, good job, I'ma be trying stacks soon, and that looks nice.

You just get em all against each other and use rubber band or nichrome wire huh?

My QC will have to be right on for the stringers though, yours all looked perfect. I'll probably have to pull like 4 times as much to get em that straight.

The secret to getting em even with a long pull is to give a slight blow on the part that seems to be thinning out on you early as you start to pull it. There is always one spot on my pull that seems to do this, but the spot is not usually in the same place every time. As far as heatin up the rod, just don't be afraid to swing it around, it will look like it is getting out of control on you but just go with it. I use normal 5-8mm rod for stringers.

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

cool cool, ya I know the blow technique, and where to heat when it stops and stuff, and get em pretty straight when I try. A lotta times, I just don't try hard enough. But ya, snaking em seems to work a lot better a lotta the time vs other methods. I guess that's what I call it. Kinda looks like that pencil magic trick when your doin it. That's gotta be the way to do it, and it may not seem like its gonna work straighter, but it does.

Its because it equals out the heat more I believe. Just like thick ass rod mashes equal out the heat. And after you mash and heat, its more equal heat than before. That's why I'ma be doin crossfire, to make heat more equal on thicker shit, and then cane and everything should work much smoother. Instead of 1/4 nbeing in flame, and 3/4 out, the time out of the flame will be cut in half. The 1 sec, 1 out, 1 in, 1out. Instead of getting further away from equal heat 1 in 3 out. The temps will not only be hotter, but stay closer. It just takes less of a heat attention span and makes it easy I think.

ANyways, I'll stop threadjacking, sweet reversals. But that other techniques will come in handy too. Thanks for the pics peeps
    Last edited by funksizzle; 03-27-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Looks great man.

Nice work!

Money

Quote Originally Posted by allstyles541 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wigwag.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	47740

nice... now i gotta make some stringers....
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    life>fiction

Nice and tight. Looks great!
    ~DFurr

i would have thought their would have been some clear in between stringers...look super tight...nice e nice...

Nicely done! What black is that that stayed so opaque even pulled down this much?
    "Jesus' glass is janky." ~ Monkythrowpoop

Heat is rising
    Blazing fast
    Hot and evil
    Feel the blast

:Rob Halford

Quote Originally Posted by Plum Tuckered View Post
    Nicely done! What black is that that stayed so opaque even pulled down this much?
    Jet Black, it's my favorite. The middle black stripes and the white were doubled up.
    Last edited by aREa541; 03-29-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

Nice man... that turned out pretty sweet. Was fun to watch you do this, first time i've seen a vac stack done.

Sexy!
    ~Misha

Quote Originally Posted by aLLsTyLEs541 View Post
    The secret to getting em even with a long pull is to give a slight blow on the part that seems to be thinning out on you early as you start to pull it. There is always one spot on my pull that seems to do this, but the spot is not usually in the same place every time. As far as heatin up the rod, just don't be afraid to swing it around, it will look like it is getting out of control on you but just go with it. I use normal 5-8mm rod for stringers.
    This is my stringer method as well. I rarely pull even from a gather.

Aymie

I'm having a hard time imagining 'swinging' glass around.... are you guys heating up a large chunk of the rod (say 5-6") all at once and then pulling it? Never thought to try that way.

I make stringers with a 'continuous pull' - heat and pull and keep moving the rod into the flame as you pull more of it out. It's suuuper fast, literally the minimum amount of heat necessary. Takes practice to pull them even though.

I'm impressed the colors stayed so crisp as well. Although it looks like maybe they get washed out a bit in those spirals... except your spirals are so tight it doesn't even matter!!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I'm having a hard time imagining 'swinging' glass around.... are you guys heating up a large chunk of the rod (say 5-6") all at once and then pulling it? Never thought to try that way.
    Yeah, I probably heat about 4" for an arm span 2mm pull, I just heat less for a thin "drawing" stringer or more for a thicker one. Try it and you will experience the "swinging" glass first hand! I do a back and forth swing, to keep it under control.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroChixRock View Post
    Sexy!
    Thanks Misha!

Quote Originally Posted by ahreno View Post
    Nice man... that turned out pretty sweet. Was fun to watch you do this, first time i've seen a vac stack done.
    Always good to have you at the shop, but you need to keep up on your water tab. It's gettin a little out of control.

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram: