The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: California bay area, Where to buy glass blowing molds?

Default California bay area, Where to buy glass blowing molds?

I am looking for some slumping molds.

Default Re: California bay area, Where to buy glass blowing molds?

Sundance Glass over by Chico has a large selection for slumping. You can always call ALS in Richmond (?) and check to see what they might offer or they would of at lest know where else to send you. Hope this helps.

There is a huge Bullseye retail store in Emeryville. Everything you could need.

I'm not sure what glass blowing molds are? Optic molds? ABR has them and some neat little brass molds that you just melt a rod into (I'm sure there's a term for it but i don't know it.)

If you are talking about slumping glass in a kiln, I love Slumpy's molds (www.slumpys.com) get on their email list for great sales. The only down side is that they have a minimum order but they also have several sale days with no minimum required. A little know fact is that they offer free replacement for broken molds:-)

-juliew

Quote Originally Posted by flameboy wanabes mom View Post
    I'm not sure what glass blowing molds are? Optic molds? ABR has them and some neat little brass molds that you just melt a rod into (I'm sure there's a term for it but i don't know it.)

If you are talking about slumping glass in a kiln, I love Slumpy's molds (www.slumpys.com) get on their email list for great sales. The only down side is that they have a minimum order but they also have several sale days with no minimum required. A little know fact is that they offer free replacement for broken molds:-)

-juliew
    Lol
    don't melt a rod into a brass optic mold that will only result in a ruined mold.

I've heard good things from slumpy's. You can always use stainless bowls with kiln wash or for unusual shapes you can use clay.

Speaking of the Bay Area. Where does everybody get there oxygen from. I'm on the penninsula but would make the trip to the east bay for the right sales / service. I'm looking in to small dewars, 160 I guess. I haven't seen any smaller...
    Glass to the flame, Nose to the grindstone!

If you are in China, you might try contacting Oliver Loo at Dragon Glass Molds USA (Shingle Springs).
    ( http://www.dragonglassmolds.com )
    The molds are designed in South Africa and made in China. These molds are also available at C & R Loo in Richmond, which I believe also may be owned or previously owned by Oliver Loo, but they are much more expensive there.
    Other unique molds are available at Bonny Doon Fused Glass Tools in Santa Cruz
    ( http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com ).
    Last edited by Skipjack; 08-13-2013 at 09:46 PM.