The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trading bombucha [konbucha] for some raw material or tools

Default Trading bombucha [konbucha] for some raw material or tools

I've got some konbucha growing, and I'm wondering if there's any interest for it? I'll trade a culture for some raw glass or tools, depending on what they are.

I'm kind of skeptical about shipping, so this is for soCal locals only, preferably around the SFV/LA area, though I will be heading down to Orange County from the 19th to the 21st, and I'll be visiting San Diego [Ocean Beach] briefly on the 21st as well before heading northward to Oregon for the DFO and back down some time afterwards. ...And then back up again to move there permanently. Feel free to hit me up, I won't bite too hard :}
    Hey baby, your bowl................is out of control. B)

Puff out your chest and hope for the best!

Default Re: Trading bombucha [konbucha] for some raw material or tools

Ive never paid for a kombucha scoby, what kind of value do they have?

I...actually don't know [at least for the big ones]! But you can get small cultures from GT's brown bottle drinks for like 4$ and usually they'll have a small SCOBY floating around [skip their clear-bottled drinks]. However, I'm trading for larger ones or halves of larger ones; I've seen starters go for 20$ at a glance, but I haven't done my full research-- again, I don't know. I've never had to purchase them-- they kind of float around between family and friends; it's an eastern European thing :P

Ahh, here're scobys priced on Amazon, just checked: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...kombucha+scoby

At the risk of asking a bad question, care to give some info about this Beast? i don't know what these things are.

Sure thing! SCOBY is an acronym for what it actually is-- a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast. When placed in green or black tea and sugar, it ferments and creates an elixir which contains amino acids, polyphenols, and enzymes, along with B vitamins. Since it's a fermented beverage, it's usually slightly alcoholic-- you won't get smashed, but you can get pleasantly buzzed. Funny thing is, despite being slightly alcoholic, it's very good for your liver and a lot of people like to do detoxes using kombucha. To my experience, it has helped with my immune system; it's one of the reasons I hardly ever get sick. The B vitamins help reduce stress levels [usually 8 oz has about 20% DV] and boost energy. There are other claims, but like most good things, there hasn't been enough research on it.

From personal experience, it's also seemed to help my complexion/with aging in general. People say I look like I'm in highschool :P Though I'm sure it's not just the kombucha alone, but also a balanced diet and exercise, among a couple of other things. Supposedly it helps with weight reduction, too [kombucha eats sugar and creates those enzymes I mentioned earlier which help with digestion].

EDIT: My bad, I checked 3 bottles of clear-bottled GT's, and it's 25% DV folate and 20% DV B1, B2, B3, B6, B12
    Last edited by Beast; 04-20-2013 at 12:02 PM.