The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need some help!

Default need some help!

I have a mirage and as I was working today I noticed that I couldn't get a good oxidizing flame, so I checked my regulator and it was only at 20 lbs when I know I had it set at 40. So I tried to turn it up and it wouldn't go above 20. So I was thinking it was a bad regulator but then I went and checked the liquid oxy to make sure it was okay and that showed on 50 lbs of pressure! Any idea whats going on? The tank is full, it just got delivered a few days ago so I know I'm not out. Haven't got a clue what the problem is, but I don't want to change the regulator if that isn't the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have a big order to get out on monday!
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com

I wouldn't trust the tank reg. what does your oxygen regulator say the tank pressure is? I'm suspecting you don't have enough head pressure.

Default Re: need some help!

not sure what you mean, the regulator on the torch won't go higher than 20 and the regulator on the liquid tank says 50.
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com

sounds like your either out of oxy or you been working real hard and the liquid just dont have enough time to turn to gas. Try turning on your pressure builder on the tank.

Check for leaks? I had a bad economizer on a tank once that did the same. Get to a certain point then not build anymore. Prob what was said above. Just working hard. If you only had it a couple days or what not, will not have had enough time to change.

Quote Originally Posted by jane clifton View Post
    not sure what you mean, the regulator on the torch won't go higher than 20 and the regulator on the liquid tank says 50.
    Your not being clear are you running two regulators or are you talking about the pressure gauge on the tank itself?

Your oxygen regulator will have two gauges. One gauge reads what the tank pressure is the other is what your regulated pressure is.

Turn the pressure builder on for a few minutes and see if your liquid tank builds pressure.

there is a qauge on the tank itself- that one said 50, my gauge on the torch said 20 and I didn't look at the other one because it always says 0. I don't know what you mean by "Turn the pressure builder on'. what is that? I haven't checked it this morning to see if it was just that I was working faster than it could build. I had only been working for a few hours, but I was working with almost nothing but an oxidizing flame as I was working with cadmium colors. There was no ice on the tank though, but then it is very hot here.
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com

The pressure builder is on the opposite side of the gas flow, on the liquid tank it should be marked. Open it a few turns, keep working. If it goes up your fine for a while then close it off until that happens again. If it goes down, the tank is almost out.

I know the tank isn't empty because I can shake it....lol
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com

If you don't know what the pressure builder is then that is fr sure your solution. We have 6 torches running off of one liquid tank at our shop. The pressure builder is wide open the whole time otherwise we wouldn't have nearly enough pressure. Crank it open and your pressure will go right up.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

okay, thanks
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by jane clifton View Post
    there is a qauge on the tank itself- that one said 50, my gauge on the torch said 20 and I didn't look at the other one because it always says 0. I don't know what you mean by "Turn the pressure builder on'. what is that? I haven't checked it this morning to see if it was just that I was working faster than it could build. I had only been working for a few hours, but I was working with almost nothing but an oxidizing flame as I was working with cadmium colors. There was no ice on the tank though, but then it is very hot here.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=oxyge...QBVseABDxnM%3A

You will see two gauges on this oxygen regulator. The one on the right shows tank pressure the one on the left shows regulated pressure. The gauges on the tank themselves are not reliable. Use your regulator to gauge tank pressure. If you have a regulator that always reads 0 something is wrong.

Jane, turn the pressure builder off when you're done or it will make your tank vent.
    ~Misha

Gotta say a BIG thank you to you guys!! I turned up the pressure builder and it worked great!! And Misha, I turned it off when I was done just in case....lol. You guys saved me from not making that order and I really appreciate it!!! Thanks again!!!
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com