The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: want to melt stuff? / "real" job

Default want to melt stuff? / "real" job

hey all,

first off, im getting a fresh liquid tank in the morning. if anyone in the CT area wants to hang out this weekend and melt stuff get in touch. its finally getting nice-r outside!

secondly, amazingly i got a semi "real" job teaching elementary school art. it has been a great challenge and im learning so much about controlling a classroom, lesson plans, and how kids learn and create art. after blowing glass for 2 years or so and slacking off its sortof a welcome change to have this experience. the fact its at a local ghetto elementary school makes it that much more interesting.

to tie this into glass i just wanted to say.. that if you have been isolated in your studio in front of your torch for a while it might do you some good to try some other art medias such as drawing or painting (more than just sketches for glass) or making masks with 4th graders (lol) just to loosen and expand your visual mind, and next time you step up to the torch you may approach it differently.

enjoy!

morgan

Default Re: want to melt stuff? / "real" job

Congrats on your job. Art teachers were always the coolest people at school teacher-wise. what kind of project do you do with those kids that relate to glass?? You should take that liquid to the hood and show those 4th graders what it is all about!!

hey man im down this weekend. ill call you tomorrow.

Sounds like a great way to get out of the box.
    Much love... Brent Graber

'cept when i was in 1-2 grade they put me in a box............cuz i wuz unruly as hell if it were today they would have me a ritalin and whutever else

the box was actually the braniac idea of some guy named skinner, i think, and was a legitimate way of dealing with trouble makin kids..........now anybody got a gun
    "You should be happy, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're not." dr. seuss

hey morgan, i just caught this post so sorry for the delay, but wicked congratulations! that's really awesome. my daughter loves thursdays, because that's art day. you're going to be really important for some little one. enjoy that

very good.

when i was in elementary shcool i was always the outkast kid, so i spent my time in the art room and i got opened up to alot of cool things by my art teacher

goin to other mediums in my opinion is positive for your growth as an artist...ive got 2 pieces of wood screwed on the back of my garage so that i can go out back and spray paint whatever i want, whenever i want, its a nice to go hit it up at 4 in the morning to take a more productive safety break, then go back to work till the sunrise....

i also go back and forth between glass and music alot, switching mediums gives you something productive to do while taking a break from the other medium, and gives you time to think about what you do while your away from it...

-kruger

www.bluffviewstudios.com