The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Houston I have a problem..

Default Re: Houston I have a problem..

pick open the hole with some 4mm, or use diamond shears. or pull the leftover glass to a thin point and snap it. after doing any of the aformentioned techs you'll still need to go back in a clean up the hole.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So Iím trying to not embarrass myself.

Use the +=#$@?! Search engine.

Nice to meet you Minion and welcome to The MP...

There's a ton of different ways to accomplish a spoon pipe, so you will have to play around with many of them to figure out what works best for you... To start learning with the sizes of tubing you mentioned above I personally would for sure start with the 25mmX4mm, It will be the most forgiving and require the least amount of additional steps needed to make a spoon with a proper thickness and size to it. The 32mmX2mm will give you some problems with how thin the wall thickness is when your just starting (if the 32mm was what you were having the trouble with the bowl hole expanding after popping and while heating to push in...that is almost certainly the reason(the lack of thickness). Because when a piece is thicker then "adverage" you will run into the opposite problem of it shrinking while heating around the hole before pushing, However this will also be a good way to judge if you have a decently thick piece if this happens a little bit. It is totally possible to make a normally thick piece with thinner walled tubing but is where another not nessicary (at least for now on your first few starting out, later it will be extremely important part though) step will be required...condensing...

Which is where when you have tube that is thinner then you want, you will need to (in the easiest explanation I can think of) start with a longer tube then the finished piece and as you form the piece allow it to fall back on its self/condense (while still maintaining an open &evenly walled tube) at an elbow down position. Which does not mean your elbow needs to be down but that the tube you are using will need to have the opposite end of the tip/part that is in the flame (the end point of the handle part) to be pointed down towards the table allowing the glass to use gravity to fall back on itself thickening the walls...a punty will need to be attached to the center of the opposite end (the rounded tube end) then the handle/pulled point end to do this evenly... This will be needed later to thicken anything that needs to be stretched to keep it the same thickness (like the "neck" of the spoon between the bowl and mouth end) as the the rest of the piece...But for your first ones if you stick with the 25x4mm this will not be needed to be attempted in the beginning...

Also start with clear tubing because color acts way different and is harder to pull/move around, also adding color lines and stuff to a piece will prevent a bowl hole from popping through that color line exactly where you want it to if the color is not melted in 100% and will prefer to pop where any clear is instead of through the color. I would also never advise using a heated tungsten pick to "poke" a bowl hole, it will for one hurt your pick to heat it that much very often and you risk ruining the piece by stretching instead of piercing the glass or getting the pick stuck to the glass from being too hot...however you can use your adverage straight tungsten pick to gauge if your hole is the right size by making sure it fits into the hole without any wiggle room during/after heating around the hole before you sink it to make sure its the right size hole.

Your going to want to shape the neck and partially shape the mouth piece (while still leaving the blow tube/pulled point on and extra room down the point from the place you want the mouth piece hole to end up)before popping your bowl hole...Your going to want to try and pop your bowl hole a little more towards the mouth piece end of the bubble that the bowl is to be sunk into and also have the bowl push's handle angled a little more towards the mouth piece end while pushing...

As for the mouth piece hole its probably the hardest hole to open...To start out i advise starting with the mouth piece "bubble"/"buldge" a little on the bigger side of what you might eventually want until you learn the next step...Also leave extra room from where you want the hole to end up and after you detach the tube, then barely heat the tip up and keep touching the side of the tip of a scrap rod to it and pull it away while twisting/rotating it one direction and the piece the opposite way,as you keep doing this if you heat just the tip it flattens out a bit as it gets thinner and thinner and just keep doing this until it opens the hole...

Another newbie tip I suggest you try is after you have the hole made try getting one edge of the rim of it nice and molten hot wherever it has excess bulging on the rim and use a glass cutting shear to trim the edge of the hole slowly around one bit at a time and clean it up. Then melt it smooth after you feel its even enough and condense it down by heating then use a small point reamer to make sure it perfectly cylindrical... Eventually you will get the hang of the opposite rotating of the piece and touching the "clean up/hole picking" rod to the rim to clean it, but its a nice easy way to jump into having a piece with a "sellable" mouth piece hole on it...

Pulling it out thin an nipping the tube off works but will shoot small particles of glass up into your piece, its great for other applications where you can blow preasure from the other end of the tube while nipping it off and exposing a tiny hole that can then be reamered open more. Which will end up blowing those shards out of your piece instead of up inside it(which you cant do on a spoon with two holes on the other end...not to mention that is hot) However if there is only one hole(like the bowl on a "One Hitter","Chillum" or "Bat" you can use a Sophieta to blow through it while nipping off the blow tube point that has been pulled out thin (while yet still not collapsing the tube)(if you need it to be restricted really small you will have to use a tungsten pick instead of reamer,which can leave marks inside the opened hole that might have to be cleaned up) This can be a bit hard to juggle to do and helps to use a desk mounted horizontal tube clamp but works nicely...If you do attempt this on a spoon's mouth piece (without the air pressure obviously) make sure to clean out any glass shards that will end up far inside that were not melted in on the rim...(can be partially done by holding vertically and tapping side of piece)

Well that's my two cents worth...ok maybe it was a nickel or dimes worth :-) feel free to PM me if you need any help or further explanation...and have a great time on this site...its a wealth of knowledge...have a good one...
    Last edited by KLAW; 08-23-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added The Sophieta Part

Personally since your first post was a valid question for a newb that isn't covered/is hard to find in the forums I don't see any real issue with adding in a question about another problem your in countering to ask some of the few people you have already asked a question too(which is why I had no problem answering it for ya)but searching the forums a bit before asking is good advice (and I'm sure will be given again) there are people that tend to be harsh on here so don't take it to personally and just try to find the advice hidden within...feel free to PM if you have any more questions and good luck with your endeavors... :-)

Down with the saying UTFSE!! Post a link to an old thread that would help him instead.

Klaw, repped for your awesome advice to the OP.
    ~Misha

one thing you can try is when you heat around the hole to push it, only push it in maybe 1/3 of the way (if using a tapered push, push it just to the end of the taper) then go back and reheat around what you've pushed and push some more. this way you're pulling the glass more evenly instead of making the small area around the hole super thin. also, sometimes it may be too hot, you can try giving it a little puff before pushing.
    Last edited by yinzer; 09-06-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: i like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by PyroChixRock View Post
    Down with the saying UTFSE!! Post a link to an old thread that would help him instead.

Klaw, repped for your awesome advice to the OP.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...+piece+opening

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...+piece+opening

Yes Madam, you ask and you shall receive =))
    Are we having fun yet??

I heart you, Byron! repped!
    ~Misha

Byron, those two threads helped me a lot when I was first at it, and I was coming here to link them. thanks thanks!

[Face turns red, and he begins to fidget as he speaks] Ah, shucks folks, thanks.
    Are we having fun yet??

Using the forum search engine helped me find this old thread, which I've been having a problem popping the hole for the bowl push. It always ends up with a gaping gangbanged hole. I'm making sure that that glass is 3ish mm thick where the hole starts. Not sure if I'm applying too much air pressure or using to big of a flame. I try to use the smallest flame possible to heat up that area only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-213123892.jpg  

not sure if you mean you're having a hard time popping the carb or if you're talking about the mouthpiece. I leave the graphite rod in the bowl when im popping the carb, and just light puffs so your hole doesnt rip open too large. the mouth piece I heat the end and use some 5mm clear rod and pull glass away so it this, then i just use a tungsten pic n pic a hole open.use the reamer to get it straight or widen it. hope that helps some. Klaw pretty well explained it. another thing someone told me if you want to try it or not, using a graphite rod with a little tungsten pic on the end of it to push the bowl will help you keep it centered, sometimes issues arise when pushing the bowl and it gets a little off centered I dont personally do this but I've heard it can help.
    Last edited by Willyp; 10-29-2013 at 07:14 AM.

if your bowl pushes in off center, it's due to uneven heat base.

also try and learn to pick open the mouthpiece as opposed to using tungsten. nothing wrong at all with using tungsten, but once you learn to "pick/swipe" open holes it'll help a lot.

/\/\/\ Word.

The bowl hole is gaping open for 2 reason, the first being that you are not condensing enough glass in the area you want to push. The second is that the area immediately around the hole is too hot.
    How do you decide where you put bowl holes?? Do you spin the point and look for the high side of your point?? When you shape the head, do you punty up to the front side of your point and condense the back side of your spoon head??
    If you start with thin material and then condense and stretch that will always happen, in fact does the hole get bigger when you go to heat for your push?? I have to work to keep my holes open, I live in the south and our shops want deep pushes, not shallow West Coast style bowls. Ya'lls tobacco seems to be more potent, but we got shit loads, so we need deeper bowls. Like I said, I condense down to where my hole is almost closed up before pushing, then might be a good time to put that tungsten pick to use .............

As for the mouth piece, only heat the very center of the tip where you want to remove glass. I kept watching my noob the other day, and the best advice I can see for the inexperienced would be that after heating and when getting ready to wipe the glass ................ get out of the flame, otherwise you are just pulling stringer form your tubing. Heat what you want to remove and then get out of the flame and get the material either pulled out completely or thinned so that a quick heat will rupture the thin membrane left ..................

Hope that helps
    B3
    Are we having fun yet??

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Have You Tried Kegels?
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

^^great info!

also a tungsten tipped bowl push helps heaps. yes it's a bit of a crutch in that you can get away w/o having that nice even heat base, and for the most part your pushes will be centered. blast shield makes nice tipped pushes to the tune of about $30

B3 thanks for that advice! Much appreciated. Standalone I actually picked that one up with my first swoop if tools so far I like it. The biggest thing i was having a problem with (IMO) was the size of the whole at the bottom of the bowl. When I try to condense it smaller, it only wants to get wider, then when I push, i give it pretty good air pressure so it forms around the graphite and I thought it would close the hole up around the tungsten tip. But again the hole only grows. I may not be I the forum or back behind the torch for a couple weeks because I'm getting hitched tomorrow and we are taking our honeymoon right after. But I can't wait to try this out and hopefully I can get over the hump I need! Thanks guys (and gals) appreciate all the love and information everyone shares! See ya soon TMP

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmi The Don View Post
    Have You Tried Kegels?
    Lmao I was just thinking wtf is he talking about then had an ahhhhhh moment... Awesome thanks for the smile

if you want the hole smaller (once you've popped it, but before you push) hold the pipe so the hole is under the flame...if you want it bigger hold it upside down above the flame. once you've pushed the bowl, the reverse is true.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Cool Re: Houston I have a problem..

Quote Originally Posted by blayzwon View Post
    Lmao I was just thinking wtf is he talking about then had an ahhhhhh moment... Awesome thanks for the smile
    You're Very Welcome! Smiles Are My Favorite Things!
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me