The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Striking Encased AP/DAP

Default Striking Encased AP/DAP

Hello All,

So recently I have been having problem getting my AP/DAP to strike in my Pendants and Marbles. I'm working the color in a raging oxy flame, and even after multiple flame strikes I'm still only yielding hazy pinks. I'm not having a problem with Lokies or any of the GA Passions, but getting similar results working Mai Tai and Double Mai Tai as well. The base of my implosions and the ends of my twist are getting the color I'm looking for, but that's it.

I feel like I must be keeping the glass in a half molten state at some point in my process, allowing more crystal growth into the clear, resulting in all the haze I'm seeing. I'm really new to all this, and If I have understood what I just read in searches I believe that must be where I'm going wrong. I have been trying to flame strike before laying down a new set of dots/lines, with better but still not ideal results.

All I know Is at one point I was doing really awesome AP/DAP/Lokies Lotus Flowers, and now everything is hazing over. I did just get a new order of AP/DAP that I have been working off, but I don't think its the color.

The problem I'm sure has to do with the nut that connects glass to the torch.

Any Ideas?

Edit: I hate asking what I assume are simple questions, but I'm completely self taught so far, and hearing you guys explain something has always been more helpful than trying half ass youtube info. I really should get some good books.
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Default Re: Striking Encased AP/DAP

Are you letting it cool down enough between strikes?

I read somewhere of people using a fan for flash cooling, I have been doing that, waiting for the color to pop and lose all its glow, then striking again. I have tried with and without the fan, still hazy pinks
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

I do that in the summer a bit. Generally I just keep spinning until the glow fades away completely. Then I warm it up slowly in the back of an oxygenating flame. Make sure you don't overheat it when you're doing the strike. Just hit it until the colors inside are barely glowing orange again and take it out to check. When I first started working with dap I had a tendency to get it white hot and would keep losing the strike.

Hrmmm, Maybe I am overheating. Whenever I flame strike again, I always assumed I needed to see all the colors to glow again to the core, not just a faint starting glow.

Thanks for the tip, now..... how to leave work early and attempt to remedy my fuck ups?