The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I’m back

Default I’m back

Hi everyone.

It was no secret that I was visibly absent from AGI this year, but I was going through an extremely difficult time. My mother was hospitalized several times during that week due to complications from some very aggressive treatments for lung cancer. Because of this, I was not there in mind, body or soul.

I traveled to Maryland (special thanks to JBob and Andrew) and spent last week by her bedside and had the opportunity to give her the love and comfort she needed as she lost her battle with her disease… I will miss her very much, and I am still grieving with a huge void in my heart with her passing.

That being said, I understand that this year’s event had some shortcomings, and I take full responsibility for that. As the first year of Andrew and Alex taking over the show, I was not available to them in the capacity necessary to keep things running as flawlessly as it usually does, and I apologize to them, as well as our guests.

Regardless of my physical limitations, I will be a part of AGI 2014 every single day to provide leadership and guidance to an event that is near and dear to my heart… a vision to create an atmosphere of sharing knowledge in a unique setting where we can all bond together as one. Our motto has always been, and always will be, “We are all teachers and we are all students.

I hope you know that I will be working extra hard this year to make sure that AGI maintains its integrity as one of the best events in the country for lampworkers to teach and learn from each other. To take it one step further, I will promise you this: If the Art Glass Invitational fails to live up to the standards that I (and all of you) expect, it will end on a high note… be it 1 year, or 20 years from now.

Thank you all for your past, present and future support, and please look forward to an incredible show next year… I give you my word that it will be one of the best ever.

Much love and respect to you all,

Tom Doner

If you would like to sign up for AGI 2014, please call Elaine at (724) 791-2100 for more information and to reserve your space. I will be posting more details as they become available.

Default Re: I’m back

Tom sorry to hear about your loss if you guys need any thing don't hesitate to give me a call

My heart goes out to you and your family. It's wonderful you were able to spend the time by her Side.
    I hope one day to be able to attend AGI sounds like an amaizing time.

Tom, my condolences for your loss.

I look forward to meeting you at AGI someday.

Thank you for all that you do for this wonderful community.
    "Destruction leads to a very rough road, but it also breeds creation."

very sorry for your loss Tom.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

sorry for your loss tom.

i know she is in a better place without the pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    No really I was taught that way. It is venetian. That is how lampworking was invented. Back 5000 years ago, it was to enslave women and children and make them make christmas ornaments wile the men worked in the hotshop.

Aww Tom, my heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry for your loss, and very glad you were able to spend some time with her. Jbob and Andrew, whatever you guys did to help him make that possible, thank you from me, too.

AGI is still the best event in our industry, Tom, without a doubt. There's no place like AGI! I missed seeing you, sure, but I knew what was up and understood. I can guess that your other guests feel the same.

Andrew and Alex did a wonderful job of carrying on your dream and ideas. You did right by choosing them.

Thanks for the note. Condolences to your family. and hugs from me.
    ~Misha

Oh, Tom, I'm so sorry that she passed away. I was so hoping that she would improve and you would have some more time with her.

As for AGI, on the days that we visited, it looked like things were running smoothly. Alex and Andrew and all the people who were there to help were doing a great job. For an event as large as that to appear to be running so smoothly, well, that says a lot. It must have been well-planned and well-run.

Much love to you!!!
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

hugs and love.

Tom, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm really close to my mom, so I can't imagine what this has been like for you.

THat's all i have. I just wanted to send my condolences.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Condolences on your loss. I wish you peace.

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila

Thank you all so much for your condolences, it really means a lot to me. Since I am not able to travel long distances due to back problems, Jared (JBob) and his girlfriend Dawn drove me right to my mom’s house in Maryland, and Andrew gave them a place to work for a few days so they wouldn’t lose any production time. For that, I am eternally grateful to them, because without that help, I wouldn’t have been able to see my Mom for the last week or so of her life.

As for AGI, I really felt like I let down Andrew and Alex, as I should have been there every day for meetings and guidance. There are so many little things that I’ve always handled and used to doing during the event, and I really didn’t have a chance to be there for them. I apologize to you guys, and I’ll be there every day next year.

We would also like to welcome Chad Samson (FoSho) as part of the AGI staff. From the first time we met him he has been a shining star, and he will play a bigger role in the upcoming events. Thank you Chad, and welcome aboard!

Well, thanks again for listening everybody, and I will be in touch with Andrew and Alex within the next week or so to discuss the 2014 lineup. Next year’s event will take place from Monday, August 4th, through Saturday, August 9th. Again, please contact Elaine if you would like to reserve your space, as we already received a bunch of sign-ups during the event.

Enjoy your day everyone, and I’ll see you soon : )

Tom Doner

P.S.- Icky… Give your Mom a HUGE hug and don’t take for granted for one moment that you still have her : )

Tom, you prompted me to give my Mom a call and remind her how much I love her. Thanks for that too.

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila

Tom, my deepest sympathies.

Thanks for taking time to update us. There were a few minor short comings but it was still an incredible experience. I had a great time and learned a lot. AGI is the best value and best hands on sharing/learning environment. I appreciate your dedication.

eddie & i are so sorry for the loss of your mother tom....it was an honor to have met her.

Sorry to hear about this Tom.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.