The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The latest pipe ive made (feedback always wanted)

Default The latest pipe ive made (feedback always wanted)

Frit work with some silver fume

Feedback?

Default Re: The latest pipe ive made (feedback always wanted)

Mouthpiece looks like it could be worked in a lil better but I like the color a lot.
    There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive. This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame ; it comes to the soldier, war mad on a stricken battlefield and refusing quarter. ~ Jack London

Instagram ---- Captain_Glass

Quote Originally Posted by smokinsluuu View Post
    Mouthpiece looks like it could be worked in a lil better but I like the color a lot.
    thank you for your feedback,

im gonna poke around the site for techs. on making the mouthpiece better

I would say polish your bowl a bit to remove the chill marks. If you warm the push a little before you push, that will help, but also then go in there and use a tiny flame to remove the ridges in the inside of your bowl. I usually use a small graphite reamer to test mine. If I can run the reamer from hole to edge in a few spots without feeling ridges, it's good.

Also, a small triangular file (like the third from the left in the pic below) will help you open your hole back up if it starts to get to small while you are polishing your bowl. Another helpful tool that you can make at your torch is a "bowl hole size tester". Just take a 3-4" piece of 3 mil and a piece of 4 mil of similar length, fuse them together in the middle (I put a little knob of color between the two, so I know it's not just a normal piece of rod, and to give myself something to grip). Then flame cut each end so they come to a slight taper (but make sure they don't bulge beyond the original size of the rod). I wish I had a picture, but I'm not at the shop right now.

Anyway, now you have a bowl hole size tester. Now if you want to know if the hole is the right size, once it's cooled off enough that the glass won't tag together, try sticking the 3 mil side into the hole. If it's doesn't go in, your hole is too small. If it does go in, flip it around. Does the 4 mil side go through the hole? If so, you're hole is too big. But if the 3 mil side will pass through the hole, but the 4 mil side won't, you're goldilocks, and it's just right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	han.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	54511
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Also, i would say you need to melt your frit in more. See by the mouthpiece where it looks like there is kind of pockets of air with little bits of glass kind of connected to the inner side of the tube? That's exactly what that is, and all of those are spots that a crack can start. Gotta melt that stuff in. Even when you think it's melted in, melt it in some more, as there might be peaks and high spots and partially unmelted bits on the inside of the tube that you can't see from the outside that could allow a crack to start.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

FO SHO melt that shit in yo! what size tube are you using? thinner wall will make it easier I recently tried 38x2.5 and melting in was cake
    also if you pop your bowl hole just a little more towards the mouthpiece your bowl angle should face you more
    nice pipe dude the fume over frit looks pretty slick
    Don't set yourself on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Also, i would say you need to melt your frit in more. See by the mouthpiece where it looks like there is kind of pockets of air with little bits of glass kind of connected to the inner side of the tube? That's exactly what that is, and all of those are spots that a crack can start. Gotta melt that stuff in. Even when you think it's melted in, melt it in some more, as there might be peaks and high spots and partially unmelted bits on the inside of the tube that you can't see from the outside that could allow a crack to start.
    sounds good. once i get back on the torch i'm gonna melt the hell out of the mouth piece. how about the frit work on the other half of the pipe...is it worked in enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    FO SHO melt that shit in yo! what size tube are you using? thinner wall will make it easier I recently tried 38x2.5 and melting in was cake
    also if you pop your bowl hole just a little more towards the mouthpiece your bowl angle should face you more
    nice pipe dude the fume over frit looks pretty slick
    Thanks man! the tube is 31x4mm. i'm gonna try popping the hole closer like you said.. unfortunately i'm waiting on a new kiln. mountain glass call today saying it could be a few weeks until they get it back in stock.

It's hard to tell if it's melted in but from the way the light is refracting I doubt it. You want to let it get super sloppy and condense down until you think you're going to close it up before you puff it back out. I use fine frit on 32 mil all day. I can 99% of the time get it all melted in with just one condescension. If I use larger frit I have to blow it out and condense it again a few more times.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ View Post
    It's hard to tell if it's melted in but from the way the light is refracting I doubt it. You want to let it get super sloppy and condense down until you think you're going to close it up before you puff it back out. I use fine frit on 32 mil all day. I can 99% of the time get it all melted in with just one condescension. If I use larger frit I have to blow it out and condense it again a few more times.
    i have an order with ABR for some small or fine frit... gonna have to try it out once it comes in

Small takes way more effort than fine. I used to use all sizes. Now I just use fine because it burns in so easy.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ View Post
    Small takes way more effort than fine. I used to use all sizes. Now I just use fine because it burns in so easy.
    fine frit is definitely the answer for quick, easier I/O work. The larger sizes can give some cool textures and effects (w/ strikers) but fine is all I use for prodo. Much less problems with checking that way.