Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dplaza's stuff made outta glass

Default Re: Dplaza's stuff made outta glass

Prodo Prodo Prodo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoons1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	69730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoons2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	69731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoons3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	69732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoons4.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	69733

Newb pipe exchange?!?! Hit me up!
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

Name:	1231141323.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	70286

my fourth line tube, this time i drew lines on 25 x4 and sleeved in 38x 4. way more satisfied with the results than laying clear rod over.

any reason why? i love laying clear rod over. if i am getting over-excited i may put up to three layers of tenmm rod on top of something. i've made probably over a 1000 lined tubes this way. did two today., one got two layers of clear on top, the other just one really thick one.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

i guess mainly i tried sleeving because i only have 7 mm rod right now. the last one i made i used the 7mm but it was hard to see where to lay the clear and i missed a few spots. it ended up pulling out looking like an 8 and split in half lengthwise. with sleeving it was easier to get the tube to come out round but it was strange how the clear shrunk and creeped up leaving some color exposed near the blowtube.

in hindsight it also seems like sleeving uses more oxygen. why do you prefer drawing the clear on?

vacs and stick stacks sound cool but i get seconds so my rods are always all random shapes and sizes. my ADD brain doesn't like the thought of doing all the prep either lol.

Name:	0102150814.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	640.6 KB 
ID:	70307

aaaaaah! was making prolly my best spoon of all time last night i go to pop the bowl hole look down and the whole mouthpiece south of the maria is just cracks everywhere like someone just splashed the piece with water while it was hot. this is the worst cracking i've ever seen.

its an iso frit with mystery adventurine i used a pretty heavy coating of it but its definitely all melted in smooth. i've been making my prodo spoons with it and dont have problems im not sure what happened, either this color is just a bastard or maybe i condensed the mouth hole area too thick? if it was condensation i dont think the cracks would have shot up the neck vertically that far... im really bummed out just been making expensive mistakes all week :\

should i even attempt this again? is mystery adventurine not good for iso? i love the way the color matches the line tube i made. should i be garaging it constantly? or could i have possibly melted it in too much and shifted coe?

im gonna attempt to turn the pipe head into a gog bowl hopefully i can save some part of it. happy new year yall thanks for looking.

Name:	0102150835.jpg 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	70309
    Last edited by dplaza; 01-02-2015 at 09:38 AM.

mouthpiece join was probably mediocre. that with a touchy inside green could have the rapid crack effect.
    you will shank me later

I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

i think im gonna give it another shot tonight. im gonna try and leave condensing the mouth hole part for last so it doesn't get too thick there, maybe use a little less frit, garage it inbetween steps, and start with a super dry blowtube. if i cant make it work maybe it wasn't meant to be, i just like the color combo so much im willing to try again.

right on, good luck.

dryness of blowtube wont matter if you keep parts hot that should be. also sometimes when working capping the end of your handle will prevent moisture from forming and dripping into your piece. i used to use a paper plug but just use a finger now.
    you will shank me later

Name:	0103151041.jpg 
Size:	676.1 KB 
ID:	70342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0103151044.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	603.7 KB 
ID:	70343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0103151047.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	596.3 KB 
ID:	70344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0103151048.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	736.5 KB 
ID:	70345

morphing the piece into a bowl seemed to be going well, it went into the kiln in one piece. but when i came out this morning it was cracked to all hell. im starting to think it was just too thick of a layer of the MA. also it prolly doesn't like being cooked at high heat for long periods.

when i went to make the next one i was more conservative with the frit and really i was paranoid the whole time but nothing ever cracked. i did switch blowtube sides to melt in both sides fully with less heat. I should have done that on the last one but this frit melts in real easy so i just did it one sided, probably a bad idea.

of course i made 4 more reballs and none of them were as symmetrical as the one from the first attempt. so the wig was is like harvey two face, one side looks nice, other is ... meh

Name:	0110151216.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	577.9 KB 
ID:	70520

biggest thing i have made to date, connection on the bottom half of the reball and from the tube to bottom are wonky so its a personal, just whipped up a fem bowl for it and flame annealed. wanted to take a shot before i get it dirty haha.

damn just gotta say i love glassblowing!!!! gonna get out there at 6 and hit it full force until midnight if anything dope comes outta the kiln ill post it in the morning.

Name:	0128150823.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	854.4 KB 
ID:	71064

Lots of clear and practicing welds last few days havin fun with this new design. gotta get back to prodo now though.

nice reversal spoons. I like them a lot. I made a bunch of them with colored Asian tube. I sold a few but they did not sell that well for me. How much were you asking for one?

thanks Nomad. the ones on the other page had just a fumed neck and i was still really noobish so i wanted like 10-15 for em, most of em are probably still lying around somewhere. I mainly just wanted to get my money back on the experiment.

the one on this page i didn't end up selling.

its hard to add up all the time and color and oxygen and get a good grasp on what my overhead is on the line work because i just haven't done it enough. i was hoping it would be in the 35-40 ish range retail, with a bit cleaner wig wag. If i decide to do them as a prodo item i think i'll get the stuff and learn vac stacks to streamline the process.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0210150819.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	71633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0210150820.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	974.7 KB 
ID:	71634  
    Last edited by dplaza; 02-10-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: sideways pics grr...

Name:	0702150831.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	944.7 KB 
ID:	76153

finally got away from prodo for a night and made some more rigs... progress? not so much. still wonky but at least i tried. wish i had more to show for 4 months of working, i've just been droning away at spoons to keep the dollars flowing :\

Name:	0707150832.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	749.9 KB 
ID:	76279

alright! i feel a hell of a lot better about this one than those last 2. i can honest to goodness stand by every weld on this thing, definitely the cleanest welds i have ever done all on one piece. had to prove to myself that i could do it clean and i think i succeeded, even without my hand torch. my homie broke my A to B adapter fitting last time i went to his shop gonna get a new one and make another one of these tonight, should be way easier with hand torchability.

Name:	0813150814.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	77356

i made a mug for my pops!

Hmm not able to upload pics from my tablet and the link for downloading the app is broken but neway .... I'm back on it! Tried to see how much color I could get with just silver on clear. A few pics of the shop I built 10x10 shed.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3D...w?usp=drivesdk

Hope that works thanks for checking out