The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are lathes so pricey?

Default Why are lathes so pricey?

I mean, its a motor, that spins... with a clamp...... I mean 10k for a lathe really I can buy a new car for that.

Also lathe thread, what do you guys think about using a cordless drill as a lathe?

Default Re: Why are lathes so pricey?

What kind of new car can you get for $10k?

As for the drill idea, give it a shot and see what you think. Watch out for flying hot glass though.

Time and experience will actually answer both of these questions for you.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    A really, really awesome one.

With rims.

supply and demand, demand outruns supply.

Quote Originally Posted by gmarv54 View Post
    supply and demand, demand outruns supply.
    Well, that and it's slightly more than "a motor, that spins... with a clamp......"
    www.nocoastglass.com

Making simple tube's on a lathe is pretty easy stuff. There are thousands of people doing it and thousands more that want to do it.
    Coupled with the fact that a brand new industry standard Litton lathes start out at 12-13.5 thousand for there low end art lathe. For the machines that they are known for try 20,000 or more new.

There are only so many used quality machines. That's why the new small company's are jumping in.

I can't wait tell these company's make a table top the size of a beth gl100 with reg chucks.

That's all I want a nice small machine that fits in my small shop and chucks up to 75mm.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Well, that and it's slightly more than "a motor, that spins... with a clamp......"
    but only slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by lukem5 View Post
    but only slightly.
    lol, not really though. Think about all the precision involved in it. Try building one, you will find it is a lot more work than you think.
    " Freedom lives and through it he lives - in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men"

Quote Originally Posted by jr23 View Post
    Making simple tube's on a lathe is pretty easy stuff. There are thousands of people doing it and thousands more that want to do it.
    Coupled with the fact that a brand new industry standard Litton lathes start out at 12-13.5 thousand for there low end art lathe. For the machines that they are known for try 20,000 or more new.

There are only so many used quality machines. That's why the new small company's are jumping in.

I can't wait tell these company's make a table top the size of a beth gl100 with reg chucks.

That's all I want a nice small machine that fits in my small shop and chucks up to 75mm.

wellp i've got a few 100k laying around maybe ill dial up good ol' china and have em pump a few out for me hehe I am pretty sure I could get a batch of good quality lathes from a reputable factory for less than 5k a unit. I have over 3 decades of experience doing Chinese imports mostly industrial machines/raw materials, seems a part list for a lathe couldn't possibly amount to as much as they are charging for these things, and believe me once you have the parts/plans, putting them together isn't a problem, esp in china ; ) (ofc dialing in a lathe to spin true would be a totally different story).

If you have a few hundred thousand lying around, why are you complaining about the price of a lathe? :P
    " Freedom lives and through it he lives - in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men"

As for the drill idea, give it a shot and see what you think. Watch out for flying hot glass though.

Haha ok makes sense, but I mean, if you keep the drill spinning at a low speed like a lath would be... then I can't see how there would be hot flying glass.

Any other reasons this idea wouldn't work?

Then what are you complaining about? Get a cheap chinese knockoff and and go to town.

Congratulations on that three decades of importing crap from China. You're helping to keep the American dream alive.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Quote Originally Posted by jw721 View Post
    If you have a few hundred thousand lying around, why are you complaining about the price of a lathe? :P

This was money accumulated over my life, its part of my investment fund, this is my job. I need this stack of money to keep "making money." I still don't make anymore than an average teachers salary though, I am and have been an entrepreneur of sorts my whole life.

Then what are you complaining about? Get a cheap chinese knockoff and and go to town.

Congratulations on that three decades of importing crap from China. You're helping to keep the American dream alive.
    Many of my clients are American Manufacturers whom I import machinery and raw materials for so they can make things to sell to us and others. I certaintly do think I am helping keep the american dream alive. You know we can't get everything on our own soil. Why rape our own land for natural resources and cheap labor when we can rape china?

believe me guys America is winning here, for now. About to shift to china's side though.

samoth890 Lurker

I'm no expert but I've gotta think they're calibrated very precisely, not to mention all the precision machined metal parts that make up the clamps and spinning pieces and all that? :o
    10k doesn't seem so bad for one that looks sexy and works perfectly. I'd rather get a lathe than a dolled up Mitsubishi mini truck for 10.

But that's just me. I've never touched one, so maybe I'm full of it. :P

This was money accumulated over my life, its part of my investment fund, this is my job. I need this stack of money to keep "making money." I still don't make anymore than an average teachers salary though, I am and have been an entrepreneur of sorts my whole life.
    From what I am told, a lathe is an investment that will pay it's self off pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jw721 View Post
    From what I am told, a lathe is an investment that will pay it's self off pretty quickly.
    ahh? You try going around selling your glass ware, even its its perfect... see how hard it is to get a decent price.

And remember you gotta move volume to pay off a 10k lathe, do you have enough clientele?

You might, but from what I have sen it varies according to locality, some areas seem to have a glut of glass and others starved for it.

ahh? You try going around selling your glass ware, even its its perfect... see how hard it is to get a decent price.
    From what I've been told, that was a lot easier to do before a crap ton of cheap janky chinese imports hit our markets....
    www.nocoastglass.com

From what I've been told, that was a lot easier to do before a crap ton of cheap janky chinese imports hit our markets....
    Yeah I hear a lot of industries/fields are having that problem right now....

i remember a time (when i bought my hsa ) the hsa lathes were going for around 3 to 4 grand for a good used
    hsa lathes, now i would not take 7 grand for mine 20 years later. what does this mean inflation i guess,
    also litton makes a d#$n fine machine. anyway what do i know i still think 10,000.00 for a new car or truck
    is a fair price. i am always surpurised at the sticker price.