The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Why are lathes so pricey?

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Default Re: Why are lathes so pricey?

Kitty!!!!!!

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

also, That Is a Galactic Pussy Sammich..

is got to be the same dude as the one looking for onies right? there cant be 2....

Talk about a shit storm of hypocrisy ................... He had a "Top of the Line Vaporizer" that he was looking for some one to make 50 cent bats as a component!! Yeah right, some snot nosed noobs wonky 50 cent bats have got to make that one classy unit!!

Do not worry, he was quite confused anyway, looking for a process engineer that had experience in automated high speed equipment and a background in glass with the ability to combine the 2. I knew he was in for trouble when I spotted that super cooled liquid in a metal lathe ................ just a wee bit confused ....................... if only he had met my demands, I had a solution for him .....................................
    Are we having fun yet??

you must spread some reputation around before giving it to tlkq again

I swear I posted these pics. In this thread , when this ksa-p was delivered. Someday I will find that thread? Or it got lost to the ages....

Looked like this when it was bought and delivered .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210830_123029_897.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	94200

Name:	IMG_20210830_123041_557.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	94201

Name:	IMG_20210830_123038_441.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	94202

Here is its current state below. I cut it down to a more reasonable 6 foot chuck to chuck. Used a grinder. A torch may have been too much heat and warped the bed. Litton lathes are modular, so it had ribs every few inches with holes already in place for the legs to bolt up.

Name:	Screenshot_20210830-123608_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	445.2 KB 
ID:	94203

Built in 1980. Tag says litton ksa-p. Its basicly a standard ksa now. Found it on a industral surplus websight.

Offered them 1k as a joke. I think the list said 6k. They took it. Cost another 1k to deliver it to my friends place. It was 3600 pounds. (Probably part of why it was so cheap, and cost so much to ship. )

This was only a few 4 or 5 years ago. 2017? Honestly I have seen a few great deals on used lathes lately. As far as used equipment in genral I have to admin I don't search the used like I used to.

I know the color market can be a crap shoot lately, anyone have opinions on the prices or availibility of used equipment these days?

I paid about twice what the ksa came for. It did have a service recently and runs nice. Comes with spare bits/ fire carrage, he saved it all.

Do deals exist still? I feel like this one was a good deal. (I just bought it last month, it was in storage the last 2 years.) Yes it came from a friend , but he had it for sale for quite a while as well.