The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are lathes so pricey?

Default Re: Why are lathes so pricey?

Quote Originally Posted by lukem5 View Post
    WOW I JSUT HAD A GREAT IDEA WHY CANT WE JUST MAKE AN ATTACHMENT FOR THE DRILL, THAT HAS CHUCKS ON IT!?!??!?!?!? would have a 5 mm standard bit end, attached to a fucking CHUCK to put any size tube you want. Somebody tell me this is a bad idea? Maybe I should erase this....
    Ahhh just got off the phone wit the patent office, sounds like this ones gonna be a winner.

Def making prototype and will let you guys know how it is. I can see these babies being pumped out to the tune of 15$ a pop at retail.

Imagine that, a 15$ lathe? Well half one anyway.

Will keep you all updated

so how will you mount the drill so it doesn't fall over when it's got a length of 75mm in it? and you're really going to adjust the speed of this "lathe" with the drill trigger?
    between this idea and your garbage of a thread about "marbles being a waste if they're not on a pipe" you make me wonder about your bath salt intake.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Quote Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
    so how will you mount the drill so it doesn't fall over when it's got a length of 75mm in it? and you're really going to adjust the speed of this "lathe" with the drill trigger?
    is this a serious concern or are you just trying to throw shit at me again? Two extremely easy to solve problems.

Bath salts must make me a genius.

both. waking up and the first thing i see if your asinine marble post, makes me wonder if your 14 years old and/or handicapped.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

lol, let us know how this works out for you.
    " Freedom lives and through it he lives - in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men"

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

You're Right, a 15 Inch rod Will Spin As True As a 3 Inch Bit, No Problem, Especially With 5lbs Or More Hanging Off The End of It..

A Lathe Drill just sounds like a bad idea to me. But hey man if you can get it to actually work then more power to you. But I can already think of some major problems you are going to have with it. When it come to equipment you usually get what you pay for, just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmi The Don View Post
    You're Right, a 15 Inch rod Will Spin As True As a 3 Inch Bit, No Problem, Especially With 5lbs Or More Hanging Off The End of It..
    Of course it will, especially when the whole setup is made in China :P
    " Freedom lives and through it he lives - in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men"

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

^^ truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmi The Don View Post
    totally understandable concern and its the only thing that I think might hold this idea back but it depends highly on the bit itself and the drill, some spin more true than others. I am already ordering parts for a prototype, I actually think this is gonna work.
    WORST CASE SCENARIO is I'll have to make a custom bit for a specific make/model of drill and you will have to use it on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jw721 View Post
    Of course it will, especially when the whole setup is made in China :P

Don't be such presumptuous bastards, I just ordered hundreds of dollars in parts from american suppliers, if everything works out alright I might just mass produce it here since its such a simple item. Don't even talk I have done more good for this country as a veteran entrepreneur supporting US manufacturing than any of you probably have. I have definitely helped create my fair share of American jobs, and have produced goods at a lower price so consumers like you don't have to pay out of their ass for things like relatively simple machinery like lathes.

Another thing i'm getting on is the foot pedal, how can these fucking jews charge 800$ for a fucking foot pedal?!?!? yeah you heard me FUCKING JEWS!!! Jewery at its best right here! No offense to non money-grubbin jews.
    Last edited by lukem5; 10-17-2013 at 08:20 AM.

If you're not a total retard you can make a foot pedal for $200 in parts.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

Another thing i'm getting on is the foot pedal, how can these fucking jews charge 800$ for a fucking foot pedal?!?!? yeah you heard me FUCKING JEWS!!! Jewery at its best right here! No offense to non money-grubbin jews.
    Oh fuck no!

See you in a few days man. Hopefully you come correct with a different attitude.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ View Post
    If you're not a total retard you can make a foot pedal for $200 in parts.
    coul've sworn i jsut saw a post where a guy made one for $60, and even he got jewed by home depot "low prices"

I can tell you right now an apparatus as simple as a foot pedal could be made at literally 5-10$ ppu and retailed for 20$

EDIT: that's being a little optimistic.... on the small scale however, a smaller batch could easily be done 10-15$ in parts/labor/shipping a unit.

totally understandable concern and its the only thing that I think might hold this idea back but it depends highly on the bit itself and the drill, some spin more true than others. I am already ordering parts for a prototype, I actually think this is gonna work.
    WORST CASE SCENARIO is I'll have to make a custom bit for a specific make/model of drill and you will have to use it on that.

Don't be such presumptuous bastards, I just ordered hundreds of dollars in parts from american suppliers, if everything works out alright I might just mass produce it here since its such a simple item. Don't even talk I have done more good for this country as a veteran entrepreneur supporting US manufacturing than any of you probably have. I have definitely helped create my fair share of American jobs, and have produced goods at a lower price so consumers like you don't have to pay out of their ass for things like relatively simple machinery like lathes.

Seriously?!

Funny trolling threads are one thing, this is bs. I agree with Icky on the banstick.
    ~Misha

I'd LOVE to see the solenoids you find for $2.50 each. Also, T-grade hose is not cheap.

In fact, prove it. Put together a parts list and a schematic for a $10 foot pedal.

You get a crazy sammich. IN SPPPPAAAAACCCEEE!!

Last edited by TlkQ; 10-17-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Sammich drop
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

-Funksizzle

Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ View Post
    I'd LOVE to see the solenoids you find for $2.50 each. Also, T-grade hose is not cheap.

In fact, prove it. Put together a parts list and a schematic for a $10 foot pedal.
    You're going to have to wait 72 hours for a response Quinn. Lukem5's taking a little "time out" right now to calm down and collect himself.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Damn! Then he is missing my epic sammich in space.
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

-Funksizzle

Looking at his posts overall, it seems he set out to see sammich flooding or banstick. If he really was interested in these questions he's been asking, then I hope he finds his manners and returns.
    ~Misha

It's a very heavy precision machine with mechanical parts. Enough said.

You would think someone who is as much of a businessman as he claims he was would have a better idea of how to conduct themselves in public.