The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Phantom Port

Icon5 Phantom Port

So my Phantom is brand new basically. I got it in August and have been putting regular hours on it, cleaning regularly. The other day I went to clean my ports after a session, and I could get a wire down one of the ports on the outer ring. I can't visible see anything wrong with the face of the port, it still produces a perfect flame, perfect point, but I just cant get the tip on the wire down the port. I have never touched the face of the torch with anything other than the GTT cleaning brush.

It just won't go in!

Not sure what to do, the torch is performing perfectly, I don't want to send it in to GTT and have down time, but that port will need cleaned soon. It's just weird I can't even get the wire reamer even started down the port, but under magnifying glass the port face looks exactly like the rest.

Any Ideas?
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Default Re: Phantom Port

maybe clip off the end of the wire and try with a fresh tip....perhaps somehow the tip of your cleaning wired got deformed (and coincedentally that one port is smaller then then rest by a cunthair, and you just never noticed)?

there is a couple ports on the outer of my phantom where the wire definitely has more resistance going in (and no those ports aren't dirty at all...i cleaned the shit out of it when i got it).
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Spit On The Tip..
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

If I had a nickle for every time I said that...

i called GTT a while back and got to talk to Wally, he said if you cant get it unclogged with the wire theres a drill bit they make that can hold that wire and makes it alot easier to breakhtru that carbon.

Fresh wire may help had similar issue with lynx wire had a tiny bend
    Melting wax one candle at a time

^^that drill bit would be called a "pin vise".

I tried fresh wire. I actually have a pin vice for my tungsten rake I can use, Ill give that a whirl after work. Thanks folks!
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Did you clear the port?
    Melting wax one candle at a time

Get a complete set of tip cleaners from the local welding store, use the next size down, or the next till it actually fits .............. ream, use next size up tip, rinse, repeat till the original size tip is reached.
    Are we having fun yet??

How to make your own drill from a cleaning wire:
    Take a cleaning wire and grind a chisel point on the end. You can do this with a grinding wheel or a flat cutting wheel on a Dremel tool - just touch the end/side of the wire to the flat part of the wheel, lift, rotate, touch down, again, repeat. Get two or three flat sides to make a chisel.
    You can put the wire in a pin vise if you want to - not necessary, but it helps.
    Roll wire or vise between your fingers back and forth.
    Go into the port and try to drill the blockage out with this tool.
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

is carbon build up a big issue with these? granted i've only had my phantom a few weeks....and i usually use a pretty oxidizing flame but i haven't seen/felt one single bit of coke on my torch face/ports. i clean it every other day....so it's probably a moot point.
    i'm curious, mainly because i had a redmax that would coke up on me in like 4 hours...not matter how oxidizing i was running and no matter my reg settings. and f'ing hated that torch.

I clean every other session as well. I have never had a problem with carbon build up at all in my limited experience, until now. Thanks for the tip, Byron, I'll give Oxarc a call and see what sizes they have in stock.

Kbinkster, how does the chisel tip help? Just a smaller surface area to insert into the port face?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYP_326-STANDARD-PLUS.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	55264

This is what you want, complete set any respectable welding supply store will have them running out their ears.
    Are we having fun yet??

Quote Originally Posted by DIMBW View Post
    I clean every other session as well. I have never had a problem with carbon build up at all in my limited experience, until now. Thanks for the tip, Byron, I'll give Oxarc a call and see what sizes they have in stock.

Kbinkster, how does the chisel tip help? Just a smaller surface area to insert into the port face?
    If there is a little carbon in there, the chisel tip, when rolled back and forth, will act like a drill and break the blockage apart.
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

Thanks a bunch guys, gold stars all around.

Chisel tip did the trick, thanks KBinkster.

I bought one of those Wypo port cleaning tools, and I noticed their wires are ribbed, for my torches pleasure.

Sweeeeet.