The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need a lifeline here.. #SOS

Default need a lifeline here.. #SOS

I just started blowing glass 2 months ago. I have my forms down. I know how to use a hard and soft flame. and I can pull a pretty even point. I have been teaching myself after my initial orientation with a fellow torch fiend from indy. I cant fume. it all comes out creamy. all my colors go on clear except for the striking. so all I order is striking. I need to be able to customize pieces. but I am at a curve. I need some helpful hints from an experienced glass blower so I can develop my topicals. any help will be appreciated. what size frit is best for beginners. how do I wrap and rake with even lines. how do I get anything but the creamy color when I fume?!?!? I got nothing. #SOS

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Default Re: need a lifeline here.. #SOS

small Frit, You'll Have Less To Melt In, Even Heating When Trailing, There Are Videos On YouTube If You Search, And Fume Less, You're Putting Too Much On. Before Someone Jumps Up Your Colon About The Search Function, Try It Out. White Box In The Upper Right Hand Corner Bellow The Melting Pot Banner. Search For Things Like "Wrap And rake" "Fuming" And "frit" Or "frit size". It'll Take a While To Find Definitive Answers But It'll Learn You Something. Also, You've Only Been @ This Two Months, Worry Less About Custom Orders And Just Have Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

here's a beginner wrap and rake video i found..

Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

buy contemporary lampworking 1&2,

second step blow glass,

third step profit

http://www.mountainglass.com/Product...-CHART-PAGE-1/
    http://www.mountainglass.com/Product...-CHART-PAGE-2/
    http://www.mountainglass.com/Product...-CHART-PAGE-3/

Three different grades, three different effects. There is another spot that shows the different grades of frit but I cant remember where it was. I thought it was arrow springs. ANyone else know where?

Anyways, they look different and it helped me decide which size I wanted for each.

Respect man...the guy at ABR hipped me to this site and I really appreciate it. this has been a venture. I spent my savings on a studio and a starter kit. I have a 6k setup. but I bit off more than I could chew at first. I know how glass moves now so its easier to learn. ..and it is fun. I will rape this site for all it free information and pay it forward.

helpful vid. I saved the url thank you brother.

Rape Is Delicious..

My best advice is to make fume wrap and rakes. They are the cheapest things you can make, compared to what you can sell them for, and you can practice this all at once. I like to take a chunk of 25mm, take a 12mm tube, flare it open (so it looks like the end of the trumpet, weld it onto your 25 mil, melt a nice chunk off. It sounds like you are doing ok getting the silver on the glass, maybe just a little too much? People are always saying less is more...so try using way less than you do. Then wrap some 4mm around it. The more even the wrap, the more even the rake will be. Then rake it with a 4mm or 6mm punty. Make like 10 of these, and come back and let us know how they are doing. Another thing to watch for, is whether or not it is fumed white before the kiln. Depending on your schedule, you might be growing the fume white in the kiln (probably not, but possibly). Another consideration is what type of clear you are using (if you post and tell us, I can give you a few more tips). I personally like to fume on Chinese import, and SBA the most, although Some people love Simax for fume. I always get a beautiful sky blue, often times it will develop prismy spots and swirls. Heres a video that shows the wrap and rake really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNSBDtNd1pQ

Also, that Youtube user, HumboldtUSA, is Scott Rogers. he is one of many masters of prodo, and he really knows how to get it done. Check out all of his videos. He doesn't post on talk glass, but he is a very helpful guy. Good Luck!

Burn And Learn Baby!

" love ya, fuckers"

scott rogers is the man lol i dont care what any body says burn and learn baby!
    DO IT

Yeah, scotts Vids Are Worth The Watch. definitely Not The Only Way To Do Anything, But Highly Informative, And Simple To Follow. Plus, They're Pretty Funny At Thymes As Well.

Keep bumping your oxy up till you burn that fume off .................clear those muddy color blues up also .................
    I have to work not to burn my fume off, I am a heat whore, and I have to fight to keep fume alive on my w&w's, fume clear spoons, etc .................

The straightness for the rake lines, comes with muscle control and time .................experience.

The glass gods have spoken the message : Burn & Learn .......................
    What a great thread ..............
    Are we having fun yet??

Quote Originally Posted by byron3 View Post
    The glass gods have spoken the message : Burn & Learn .......................
    What a great thread ..............
    I'm Gonna Assume You've Never Watched scott's Videos..
    Burn And Learn Is The Title If His Show.

Jimmii,

Does everything have to be a dig?? Yes I am aware of the Title of his show.

Was actually meant to be a play on words ...................never mind.
    Are we having fun yet??