The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Epoch Glass

Default Re: Epoch Glass

Here's the Mirage with Merc Blastshield and in action

Really enjoying the extra fire power. Here's a couple pendants from today.

Unfortunately, I let it cool off too much after finishing and when I put it in the kiln, this happened after less than 5 seconds...

Devastated to say the least, but I took a short break and left the studio. Took some time to think and decided it was not going to waste.

Here's the rescue mission:

Oh yeah, that centipede's legs and antennae broke off, so it never made the cut, for anyone who was wondering lol. It was an unfortunate loss. Lesson learned about the brittle frailty of certain specimen.

Waiting to come across more ladybug specimen and will give a pic update to encasement series then.

Rescue missions will often teach you more than the original plan. Good for you.
    ~Misha

Thanks Misha!

It's always been a practice of mine since I started 10, almost 11 years ago, to always salvage or fix unless it's beyond the point of no return. You learn things you wouldn't normally deal with when everything is going right.

I really liked the way it originally turned out and was showing it to a few other artists whom have studios in the gallery. I wasn't even thinking of how sensitive opals can be and let it cool off almost completely before placing it in the kiln...being 12 hours into the day already probably didn't help the cause...hah

Can't remember the last time a pendant cracked on me lol, it was fun rescuing and reshaping.

Also shows even when you've got years under your belt, shit still happens, a lot less frequent than when first starting out, but it's a reminder no matter where you are in the game, bad days still do happen. Don't let them get you down, instead conquer and defeat them!

Made a flower pendant for Mom's bday this past weekend.

30+ Celsius with humidex/kiln @ 1000 f and radiant heat from Mirage...SO HOT but I'll take it any day over the -30 to -40 Celsius during winters lol

She's going to be so happy!
    ~Misha

Lookin' pretty slick there!

I wish it was only mid 80's here. Too damn hot. But then again I start shivering once it hits the 60's.
    Nah, nah. See, I meant to do that.

Thanks all, Mom loved the pendant

It was also my fiancee's Mom's birthday last week and I made her a flower pendant as well. I decided to try something different for the stamens and used Unobtainium. I couldn't get any sunlight pics as it has been cloudy and rainy for the past few days even after some parts of the city getting over 100mm of rain in 90 minutes last Thursday...it was flash flooding, there were people snorkeling and canoeing down their streets hahaha

Made a custom Opal Vortex Pendant for a friend who has a studio space in the gallery too. The crazy thing is I made these pendants Friday as I needed them for Saturday, and I hadn't had time or desire to do them in the 30 to 35 celsius with humidity all week long which led up to the flash flooding...it was still around 30 celsius when I ended up making them Friday night too... and to boot, I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I was quite sick early Friday evening. Either something I ate didn't agree or I caught a bug.

I pushed myself to get them done and after I got in the zone and creating, I all but forgot I was even sick, but the nausea came back a few minutes into break after I finished each piece. Procrastination did not pay off and Murphy's Law struck hard, but I was happy with how the pendants turned out and after finishing them had some more ginger ale and broth and finally started to feel better around 1am to 2am. There were a couple times I felt weak/faint while on the torch, but I persevered and got 'em done!

The weather took a weird turn yesterday, high of only 12 celsius...could have used that last week haha

I used a daylight spectrum bulb for the photos below. It helps a bit, but it just doesn't give the same pop to the colours as natural sunlight would.

Here's a couple pics of the street snorkeling/canoeing lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snorkelling.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	64921

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	64922

Nice setup in the works, jelly of your hand torch. and I need to get myself a MClose mold. he gives a bit of a discount I hear if you order direct from him off of his facebook page. Digging the street snorkeling, and search and rescue in the canoe. Looks like fun, Do work!

Thanks, it's all coming together. Def get the Mike Close marble mold, no regrets there

I just got those pics of snorkelling and canoeing off the local news website. I was happy my car didn't get submerged unlike some other unlucky Winnipeggers...damn...

More updates to come soon. Was waiting for the weather to cool down a bit before making some big marbles and work on some functional prototypes I've had in mind. Radiant heat is deadly when it's 35 to 40 Celsius and humid...that's 95 to 104 F

Blown out lemon drop spoon and uranium glass implosion pendant with lemon drop loop and backing.

Black light pictures really don't give justice, need a stronger black light. I'll post better pics once I have them.

Double Mai Thai full colour coil potted with Millennium Moss and Unobtanium accent dots

A couple flower marble pendants. I'm experimenting with the backing having a beveled edge and loop placement.

I wanted to keep the depth of the implosion but still have the pendant lay flat when worn and that's what I came up with.

Would love to hear feedback on this style. Came to mind and expanded from the black light dot implosion pendant.

Another flower marble pendant, bevel backing style.

Pre Kiln Strike

Post Kiln Strike

Beveled backing.. Interesting. Seems a tiny bit obtrusive like it would lay flat but still stick out a bit.. Maybe lay less color on the back you can get that to burn in and still lay flat without ruining your implosion. That cold edge can be tough to get uniform and have it still stay on the back of the pendant and not creeping out of place. With the lens on the front, though the back doesn't need to be fully covered.

I'm probably just missing the point of what you're aiming for, but a little color goes a long way with that big lens up front.
    Nah, nah. See, I meant to do that.

After a busy week of work and getting all the necessary parts, Delta Mag is finally hooked up and fired up!!!