The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Has anyone worked in a shop with heated floors?

Default Has anyone worked in a shop with heated floors?

Im rebuilding my garage/shop and ran tubing in the slab so i can do radiant heat. I'm curious how the radiant flooring helps keep the shop warm with the mass exhaust from the fans. Will the shop still get freezing cold? I figure if anything it'll at least keep my feet warm.

Default Re: Has anyone worked in a shop with heated floors?

it might be better than standard furnace heat if the walls are insulated. If the building isnt insulated, nothing you do will warm it up. And if you're in a real cold place though, below 20 degrees F you are gonna get cold no matter what unless you heat your intake air. But at least with radiant floors your feet should stay warm.

If you're in the country and don't give a fuck about insurance and whatnot, I'd totally recommend building a rocket mass heater and heat your air with that. Rocket mass heaters kick a wood burning stove or furnace's ass all day, are efficient and burn real clean once up to temp. Plus their versatile, the burn chamber for the most part always stays the same, but you can configure them to heat air in different ways to suit specific needs and even to heat water. Check em out on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ss+heater&sm=3

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Don't fuck up the 'honey hole'

Facebook

My jacketed forced air wood burner works great for providing heated feed air. Couple that with 6inch inso and a small area 15x15 and a big kiln. Makes a toasty shop.

With the heated floors you can and good results if your feed air is not to cold.

Or in the right place. I would recommend bench feeds . That way you don't pull cold air across your room thus robbing your heat
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Heated intake air is the way to go. you can accomplish this by spending lots of money on a make up air unit, or by creating an air trap with your intake air being channeld into a small space to be heated before being drawn out of that area into the shop. It will require some carefull planning to get it right. Watch your area size and plan your c.f.m. And btu ratings accordingly. Placing your kiln directly behind you will also help. Another thought with boiler heat you could add a heat exchanger on your incoming air duct and force all the incoming air through the exchanger. I don't know what the budget looks like. But good luck.

Thanks a lot peeps. Great info.
    Ya, I havent done it yet. But here's mt thoughts on air warmer. I got a 8 inch hydrofarm 730 cfm inline fan for my intake, and bought some cheapo holmes heater fans last year.

What I was gonna do originally, and should work on tommorow is rigging these up togethor. So, I'll build a short 10H x10W X 10L box , with a 8 inch hole and 8 inch flange, with the heater on the inside, compression fitted with wedges /gasket or something to a hole on the other side. I suppose I 'll have to design it tight, and have a hole in the top of the box for the knobs. Then keep the piece I'll jig out to use as a hinge, sand it down a little and staple pond liner gasket to it.

I got two, but what I tried to find is one that can have only heat with fan off, and couple settings of each. I might only need 700 watts instead of 1200 or 1500. If anything if it just gets it to room temp I perfectly happy with 70 degree air.

Also, make sure you actually get some good quality heated floor coils. Dont put in the cheapest you can find, it will be worth it to spend a little more the first time around as you probably already know.

Also make sure you get the tightly packed ones with more voltage. Since you can dial em down or up its a much better option to have the ability to turn it down.

Thats All I really remember from my research. Ceramic tiles I believe were the most conductive although marble whoops ass.

I use a heated floor mat (http://www.amazon.com/HeatTrak-HCM24...d_sim_sbs_hg_2) they're great....

Standing on a cold concrete floor is really bad for you. At the very least it's just uncomfortable, but it can also mess up your feet and back. I find I get bad foot cramps when the floor is under 50º, and that's even standing on a nice foam standing mat.

With one of those heated mats, it can be <40º in the shop and as long as your feet are on the mat is will warm your entire body. really is the next best thing to having a heated floor... which would be awesome.

Also, for non-floor-based heating, get a radiant infrared heater... either the quartz ones, or a propane fired on rated for indoor use. There is no sense in heating the air if it's just getting pulled out 5 seconds later - heat the things in the room (including yourself) ....Seriously. Quartz infrared heaters. Check them out.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Quartz is very efficient, my 400w heats better than the 1500w fanned coils. I started sitting at work and all I use now is a 45w heating pad I place my feet on, keeps me warm much better than a heater.

Quote Originally Posted by m.ace View Post
    Quartz is very efficient, my 400w heats better than the 1500w fanned coils. I started sitting at work and all I use now is a 45w heating pad I place my feet on, keeps me warm much better than a heater.
    nice, last winter i did the heating pad as well, except I was putting it in my coat or sitting on it, that is until it started heating up my balls so much made me feel all light headed...... anyways worked really well almost to good.

I got the idea from a shop mate that made a pair of heated house slippers that had a heating pad coil lining! pretty crazy, he also had a water vest for the summer like a water cooled jacket for yourself instead of the torch.

I heat my concrete floors with a blow torch every morning

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    I use a heated floor mat (http://www.amazon.com/HeatTrak-HCM24...d_sim_sbs_hg_2) they're great....

Standing on a cold concrete floor is really bad for you. At the very least it's just uncomfortable, but it can also mess up your feet and back. I find I get bad foot cramps when the floor is under 50º, and that's even standing on a nice foam standing mat.

With one of those heated mats, it can be <40º in the shop and as long as your feet are on the mat is will warm your entire body. really is the next best thing to having a heated floor... which would be awesome.

Also, for non-floor-based heating, get a radiant infrared heater... either the quartz ones, or a propane fired on rated for indoor use. There is no sense in heating the air if it's just getting pulled out 5 seconds later - heat the things in the room (including yourself) ....Seriously. Quartz infrared heaters. Check them out.

I know this some serious thread necro but has anyone tried to take one of the carpeted heat mats and put it underneath and extreme standing mat? Will it warm up the ESM or will it just waste its heat? Also thinking about building a small platform out of a pallet and some board where I could run some kind of heating source under the pallet(which will be sealed up on all sides to keep warm air in) to basically create a “raised heated floor” platform to stand on while I work. Definitely notice standing on cold concrete really messes my feet up after a long day working.

Think folks are more worried with how to afford heating glass !

I bough a heated mat either from Wayfair or Overstock. Com (cannot remember), because cold feet is what usually stopped me from lampworking after about two hours in my basement in the winter. It plugs in and is made to be used outdoors ( rubber). It was about $60 and works great