The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 18th year in glass...does this mean I'm an adult?

Cool My 18th year in glass...does this mean I'm an adult?

I just hit my 18th year anniversary of blowing glass. Does this make me a glass adult?

Ok...this makes me feel pretty old so I'm going to point out I started really young. Not as young as some of the people I've taught, lucky for them, but I still feel really lucky.

I've watched this industry grow into something amazing over the last 18 years. I never expected to be a part of something so amazing in my life..I feel really blessed.

Here's to 18 more years, and 18 after that. And the coolest thing about glass...I learn new stuff ALL THE TIME!! Actually I feel like quite a newb right now, as I haven't been able to get to my torch as much as I'd like the last few years. I am really out of practice, but I have a great attitude about glass and getting to the torch more which is a big help lately. It also helps having a shop.

I really love what I do, and TMP is a big part of that, so thank you all for being here and being part of my big glass family. I hope to celebrate your anniversaries with you along the way.
    ~Misha

Default Re: My 18th year in glass...does this mean I'm an adult?

No, thank YOU for doing all you do around here to keep this amazing resource open for all of us to enjoy! Thanks to all the other mods who spend a lot of time and energy keeping this place running as well! Congrats on 18 years! I'd say you qualify as an adult at this point!

yeah, give yourself an adult badge

Congrats, I still have my 10 year point to look forward to

And yes, thanks for all you do. This is pretty much the only forum I even visit anymore!

Happy glass anniversary! Do you feel all grown up now?

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila

Love you lady. Thanks for being around.

Aymie

Happy Glassiversary!
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

Happy anniversary Misha. Always having something else to learn is the best part about glass. And the second best part is that there are so many wonderful, supportive flameworkers willing to share and help other flameworkers.

congrats Misha. 14 years here, makes me feel old as fuck to think about it. The youngin's will never know what they missed out on when this shit was truly underground and learning about it wasn't as easy as clicking on a mouse. Back then you had to put out a manhunt on the level of the FBI to find another blower or *gasp* a super shitty VHS tape to learn from. Getting supplies was more challenging too. It was probly a few years after I started that I even found out GTT existed.

I started off on Josh Sable's old National 8M. My cousin has that thing now, he doesn't have the slightest clue what a piece of boro historo he has sitting on the bench.

Where did you get your start Misha? Sounds like an opportune time for a little autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Don't fuck up the 'honey hole'

Facebook

Thanks guys.

Yeah Jake, it's totally different now. I used to get glass delivered to me by Dave Winship from the back of his minivan. And then sometimes he'd stash it at the barn for me to pick up. And then he had a store! And now...he's part of glasscraft.

I have a hundred stories of how things have changed. I'm amazed at where we've all come from and gone to...together. I don't just call you guys my glass family for fun, I really feel like we are a big family.

I got my start from one of Homer Hoyte's students, Lawrence Eichman. The story is a bit negative, as people back then hid behind the glass curtain and guarded their secrets with their lives. I had sought out to find a teacher and was rejected numerous times, even being told that "girls don't belong in glass!" and having doors slammed in my face. It wasn't until I saw Kelly Green blowing glass in a department store one day that someone finally took me seriously and gave me a chance. He stated that he was an apprentice, and couldn't teach me...but maybe his teacher Lawrence could.

I met with Lawrence, and he was very hesitant. I was 17 and he prolly didn't see me as a very good investment of his time, but because I was a ceramics major at UofO he thought me bringing mixed medium to the works might be a good idea and he agreed to teach me.

I paid him $1000 for ten private one hour lessons, of which I received one. He taught me how to turn my torch on and off safely, and to make a button, and then a sculpted mushroom. After that I dove in head first and was soon working with him and Kelly at live shows, like Rose festival in Portland, Oregon. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I learned some by watching them work, and by trying things on my own.

About a year or so into it I had met Matt who also really wanted to learn, but was having great difficulty finding anyone to teach him. I was quite pissed off about how I was treated and wanted to pay it forward. The next day I brought him over to my shop and let him try it out. He was quite the natural with glass and I knew he had a real shot at it. Our relationship began and we moved in together and built a shop at our house. Matt was interested in making pipes from the get go, but I was told how no one would take me seriously if I made pipes and was resistant.

Eventually he got me to start making them and I learned more about glass in the first 3 months of making pipes, than I did in the previous ~3 years of sculpting. My understanding of glass started aligning and my creativity took off. I had found a new love for glass that sculpting never gave me! So even though I started in sculpting, my passion began with pipes and I feel like that's where my roots really grew. Bowlpusher for life!

Matt and I worked together for many years after, teaching each other back and forth as we discovered new things. I did all the marketing and such and didn't get as much shop time as he so I later fell behind, which leaves me feeling like I have a lot to learn now. But that's part of the exciting thing in glass; there's always more to learn!

It's been an amazing road, that's for sure. I feel very blessed. I have always struggled financially but I have never had to take my kids to babysitters, or worry about my dog chewing up the couch while I'm away at work..because I'm not. It's worth it to me to have this life, even if I am broke.

On another note...I recently found Kelly Green on facebook and am saddened to say he no longer makes his living with glass. He told me he got out on his own for awhile, and out from under Lawrence, which I was happy about for him. I always felt like Kelly had more to offer than Lawrence saw. But the economy was not stable enough and he lost his footing. He's now an ATM repair guy, and seems to work really hard and long weeks. Anyway...if not for Kelly Green I would not be here today. So thank you, Kelly.

I'd love to hear your guys' stories.
    ~Misha

Congrats Misha!!! My 18 year anniversary is coming up in about 6 months. Glass still fascinates me and I learn new stuff everyday. I got my start in the glass world selling pipes on grateful dead tour back in 94, after jerry died, I figured I had to settle down and do something, and I loved glass, so I sought out a teacher. I got lucky and was introduced to AK, he went by the name Arik back then. I paid him 2500 for a three month apprenticeship, I learned enough from him to get me going, and here I am 17.5 years later, still confused and trying to figure out where I wanna be in my life. I thought it was supposed to get easier!!!

We should start a 20 year club. A recognition, a celebration: For those who made it through this crazy business and actually hit the 20 year mark. Would be great to hear the stories and possibly bring some shy old schoolers out from the shadows. Give them recognition they deserve for pioneering this super young functional industry. I'm sure most faced a ton of adversity and had to power through some heavy moments.

Congrats, Misha! Right behind u. I learned from a greasy douchebag in 1995. He stole from me, so my praise goes (by default) to the Grateful Dead > Phish pipe making movement where I learned the styles and how to guerrilla vend. Amongst many other Lot skillz.

Does 20 years make you a "master" glassblower? If I make it there can I finally grow into this stupid nickname of mine? Haha
    Last edited by Mac Maestro; 12-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Fantastic story Misha thanks for sharing, it's a great foundation for the next chapters of your career!
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

That's awesome, I hope to get to your level I'm still on my first month of working with glass woooohoo 18 more years to go!

Thanks guys!

I like the idea of the 20 year club, but I can't start it for two years! Maybe we should do a 15 year one for now, for fun.

We have a groups feature on this forum we could utilize.
    ~Misha

Well, you don't have to be IN it to start it. We could start it and begin celebrating those who have already hit the 20 year mark, then acknowledge those who pass through the gate, so to speak.

I could have brought this up in the staff room, but I wanted to (inappropriately thread jack you ) and see if there was any interest from talkglass members. No replies though, so maybe it's a lame idea.

Anyways, Misha, your dedication to the game makes you a bad ass in my eyes. Keep doing what you're doing.

Congrats Misha! I am only on 14 years now. But I am not very good due to my love of hiatus.

Wow! You guys are making me feel ancient.

I will be turning 50 years old in July of this year. I'm still feeling pretty young and energetic despite the fact that for the past 35 years every working day of my life has centered around blowing glass. At the age of 15 I began working with glass after school everyday. Back then I put in a solid 20 hours a week on the torch. I also worked part time through college where I studied aviation. I thought I would pursue a career as a commercial pilot only to find that it's a lot like glorified bus driving. I decided to stick with glass. My passion for glass has never ceased. I am still working a solid 40 hours a week on the torch and often more than that. I've never done anything else. It's always been glass for me. I have learned to be fairly proficient working soft glass out of the furnace with a blowpipe as well. I expect to continue working with glass well into old age until I can't do it anymore.

Some of you have talked about the changes you've seen in the industry since you started. I'm not sure where to begin with this one.

Congratulations to all of you if it's your 1st year or your 100th year. I'm so happy that I was blessed with having found what I was meant to do so long ago at such an early age.

Sure is nice to see you around, David! Hope you've been well.

I would love to hear more about the changes you've seen.
    ~Misha