The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DIMBW's Beginning

Default Re: DIMBW's Beginning

I like the look of your new stuff! It is looking real clean, no berbles and good color work. Dem bales are next level neat work!
    Dar'key...

Some more pendants. I can't stop making vortex's. I love them.

"Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Bwahaha my noob techs don't even compare! Damn that's awesome dude you're killing it! The cane horns are sick and the honeycomb on the bottom is sick!

What torch are you working on?

Just keep it moving forward, it can seem like an uphill battle sometimes but it always gets better. It feels like my skills have plateaued recently, but only cause I've really been trying to perfect the basic vortex. I'm not sure what tech to work on next, I really want to make super intricate vortex marbles and pendants. Travis Weber's vortex's have always held a special place in my heart. I run Four stud Phantom on tanked air.
    Last edited by DIMBW; 05-21-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

God damn!

I LOVE that you're not afraid to go nuts experimenting with different attachments/shapes/bails. Its something I definitely struggle with,I spend 20-30 minutes making a nice implosion design and then just bitch out and add my loop. I've been afraid to take my pendants past the classic circle in fear of messing up what would have been a cool pendant.

You work is an amazing inspiration and im absolutely blown away that you've only been doing this for 7 months,never stop.

Keep it up!

I like your use of color. It will be fun watching you progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BoroBaker View Post
    God damn!

I LOVE that you're not afraid to go nuts experimenting with different attachments/shapes/bails. Its something I definitely struggle with,I spend 20-30 minutes making a nice implosion design and then just bitch out and add my loop. I've been afraid to take my pendants past the classic circle in fear of messing up what would have been a cool pendant.

You work is an amazing inspiration and im absolutely blown away that you've only been doing this for 7 months,never stop.
    I felt the same way once I started diverging from the classic maria shape. Start small, accent blobs and shit. Before long you realize its only a little more glass to turn a blob into a drip, then why the fuck not lets stick a marble on the side of this bitch. I need to pick up some material on sculpting and smith little torch and step my game up.

Any tips on shaping horns without a hand torch? Specifically getting an even arch to the horn.

for a smooth horn that bends in one continuous curve ( like your pic )....

bend the horn all in one heat.

make sure it has a even glow/heat base pre bend.

you will have a punty on each end, so you will have to clean up the horn tip later....

start out with the horn shorter , and fatter , than you want... it will stretch , and thin....

bend the rod that will be the horn the wrong way first , this adds a skin that keeps it from kinking. ( so if it bends to the right , bend it left quickly, then right , so what was the inside edge becomes the outside edge.... it sounds like a joke , its not. )

hold the horn as it cools so gravity naturally pulls it , like a smile curves , not like a frown....

flatten the connection spot , and bend to the perfect shape... before you attach it to the piece. Including the tip... put a punty in the middle of the horn to attach, so the tip and connection point are perfect....

I have had some decent ones when I start with a fatter piece to begin with, get it all pretty hot before the attachment, then attach, after you've got a soild attachment use the residual heat to pull and curve the horn. You'll get a better taper that way.

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by BoRo View Post
    for a smooth horn that bends in one continuous curve ( like your pic )....

bend the horn all in one heat.

make sure it has a even glow/heat base pre bend.

you will have a punty on each end, so you will have to clean up the horn tip later....

start out with the horn shorter , and fatter , than you want... it will stretch , and thin....

bend the rod that will be the horn the wrong way first , this adds a skin that keeps it from kinking. ( so if it bends to the right , bend it left quickly, then right , so what was the inside edge becomes the outside edge.... it sounds like a joke , its not. )

hold the horn as it cools so gravity naturally pulls it , like a smile curves , not like a frown....

flatten the connection spot , and bend to the perfect shape... before you attach it to the piece. Including the tip... put a punty in the middle of the horn to attach, so the tip and connection point are perfect....
    This bit of info helped loads with my horns, thanks!

A few new pendants. Between the 100° weather, 12 puppies, and my work schedule getting flipped upside down I haven't gotten as much torch time as I would liked lately. But pups are gone, getting used to the new schedule and its been cooling off, so I'm ready to start emptying Ktanks again.

A couple pendants I did for my nieces when they came over to visit;

Obligatory Pic of the Golden Pups;

I love the colors on that first vortex pendant. Cute puppies too!

Looking good there! And yeah cute pups! I bet that was a fun adventure.
    ~Misha

12 Golden Retrievers, it was crazy.

I bet. that's a huge litter!
    ~Misha

Got some 14 and 18mm GonG tools and been making some slides.

That purple and pink slide is my second encalmo ever, two wysteria's and pink satin

The slide with the Slyme horn is my first encalmo, trapped gold fume, exp. nectarine, trapped gold fume.

First tube bail

Tuuuuurtle
    Last edited by DIMBW; 10-01-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Looking good!
    ~Misha