The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: free knowledge good old glass book.. Elements of glass and glass making (1899)

Default free knowledge good old glass book.. Elements of glass and glass making (1899)

found this after reading a recomendation of it on lampworkect.. trying to learn about color chemistry is a pretty good read once you get into it .. its free and might answer some questions you have about glass..

Elements of glass and glass making (1899)

https://archive.org/details/elementsglassan00kochgoog

Default Re: free knowledge good old glass book.. Elements of glass and glass making (1899)

Cool, thank you. There used to be a collection of a lot of old public domain books on glass floating around - over 20 I think. Anyone know where to find it?

Default Re: free knowledge good old glass book.. Elements of glass and glass making (1899)

i don't know but this old book that is up there really breaks it down .. about the ingredients in batch and colorants .. its got a lot of good tech info in it .. I can remember an links page a long time ago that seems similar .. likely need a pick ax to dig it up,

there was a story on the news here in new zealand last year about one of our veteran offhand glassblowers who had secured a grant to write a book on colour recipes.he said that most glassblowers were working using a book written in wales 1oo years ago and thought it was time for a new book which records the current colour recipes people have invented since before they could potentialy be lost forever.

Renowned glass artist to create world-first book

Wednesday, 19 June 2013, 12:38 pm
    Press Release: Creative New Zealand

CREATIVE NEW ZEALAND MEDIA RELEASE

Renowned glass artist to create world-first book with Creative New Zealand Craft/Object Fellowship

Garry Nash

Creative New Zealand is pleased to confirm veteran glass artist, Garry Nash, as the recipient of the 2013 Craft/Object Fellowship.

The Fellowship provides established and senior New Zealand practitioners, curators and writers the opportunity to commit to a period of investigation, experimentation or research in their practice.

Garry, who is the first glass artist to receive the $65,000 Craft/Object Fellowship, will use the grant to produce a ground-breaking book on creating coloured glasses.

The Glass Makers Palette (working title) will detail how a palette of compatible coloured glasses can be created within a studio situation, and will be the first of its kind in the world. The technical manual will consolidate three decades of Garry’s work and hundreds of experiments with different glasses and chemicals.

The decision to support Garry’s proposal was an easy one for the Arts Board, following a unanimous recommendation from the assessment panel.

“This Fellowship will allow Garry to complete a project that will cement his place in the canon of studio glass – a position that the Arts Board felt he well deserves,” says Creative New Zealand Chief Executive Stephen Wainwright.

For Auckland-based Garry, who has been recognised both nationally and overseas for his work, the key motivator behind the book is sharing knowledge.

“Information about making coloured glasses is currently scattered and hard to access,” says Garry.

“I have always wanted to write this book to help address such issues. I’m excited at this opportunity to share my lifetime of study and help ensure coloured glass art continues to move forward long after I’m gone.”

Creative New Zealand can also see the potential of Garry’s book to open up new avenues of investigation at studio and tertiary education level.

“The results of producing such a book could have a long-term impact on the glass movement in New Zealand, and also has the potential to bring significant international recognition,” says Stephen.

Garry began working with glass in 1978, and his work is sought by collectors worldwide. He currently operates Garry Nash Studio. He is an honorary life member and past President of the New Zealand Society of Artists in Glass. In 2001 Garry was made an Officer of The New Zealand Order of Merit for services to Glass Art. His work is held in countless collections; and notably, in the prestigious Smithsonian Museum (Washington D.C), where he is the only non-American to be represented.

Previous recipients of this Fellowship: Moyra Elliott (2009), Rangi Kipa (2006), Peter Lange (2005), and Malcolm Harrison (2004).

^^^^^^
    Did this ever happen ? I would love to read it ..

https://archive.org/details/LaboratoryGlassblowing

linking this book from a post Brads made in another thread.... so its easier to find.

originally posted in this thread >>>

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...work!!!!/page2

Thanks! I have this sort of fetish with collection information, due to it's nature to get lost...and I've never seen this book before. I'm glad you posted!

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Hi, my name is Brad and I'm a glassmaking information junkie...

And for anyone else developing a habit, there are some other decent places to search online for free glass books, in addition to the link BoRo posted. The problem I have found with the free electronic versions is that nearly all of these are scanned in as image files, which usually makes them excruciatingly slow to scroll through, at least on my old MacBook. But the price is right, so...

The Rakow Library at The Corning Museum of Glass (CMOG) has been digitizing some of their rare books and making them available online. This link will take you to a page where you can download what is arguably the most famous glassmaking book of all time, Antonio Neri's L’Arte vetraria (The Art of Glass), originally published in 1612. The online copy has been translated into English from the original Italian, but is still a bit rough to wade through since it uses "Olde English", where among other things, they used the letter "f" inftead of "s" in many places. But it's well worth downloading for the historical interest alone. The Rakow Library has a number of other digital files accessible from here.

Another good place to search for downloadable content is Google Books. Here is a link to another of the most famous glassmaking books ever published, Curiosities of Glass Making, by Apsley Pellatt. This one was published in 1849.

To do a detailed search for other available titles on Google Books, use this page which allows you to customize your search in a bunch of different ways. When you find an electronic version, go to the upper right corner of your browser window and click on the sprocket icon to access the downloadable PDF (if there is one available for that particular book). It's easy to miss that link if you don't realize it's there.

Happy hunting.

Brad