The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mexican water opals

Default Re: Mexican water opals

Awesome, I know some gold/silver buyers and a jeweler who throw away all synthetic stones when scrapping the metals, so they don't ever get them mixed in with valuable ones. Going to see what I can scavenge some of their junk!
    Create & Destroy!

Interesting about the Kyocera opals. I was doing some research on opals recently and they aren't mentioned at all. I would say it's fake opal, rather than synthetic. Like a glass diamond vs a cubic zirconia...make sense? Gilson are opals produced in a forced setting. Kyocera sound like gobs of stuff made to look like opals.

Aymie

Quote Originally Posted by Aymie View Post
    Interesting about the Kyocera opals. I was doing some research on opals recently and they aren't mentioned at all. I would say it's fake opal, rather than synthetic. Like a glass diamond vs a cubic zirconia...make sense? Gilson are opals produced in a forced setting. Kyocera sound like gobs of stuff made to look like opals.
    kyocera is a japanese company that makes most if not all of the gilson opals that we get.

oops, edit, i guess there are some other companies like manning. Theres some good info in that other tmp link. I thought I read on here some old post about how gilson opals would be more rare because the kyocera company was hit by earthquakes in 09 or whenever that was and lost the years' crop, but that wasn't it.
    Last edited by BurntHands; 02-12-2014 at 07:31 PM.

all the reading i have done indicates kyocera uses the gilson style process, lab grown.

wow cool, opal shard iphones http://global.kyocera.com/news/2013/1201_higr.html
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    all the reading i have done indicates kyocera uses the gilson style process, lab grown.

wow cool, opal shard iphones http://global.kyocera.com/news/2013/1201_higr.html

This is what I have been led to believe as well.

In doing my opal research lately they were never mentioned. I believe y'all, but where does the plastic come in to play?

Aymie

I have some of that "fake opal". I posted about it a little while ago when I tried to encase it and it just melted and lost all of its bling. It was given to me as an egg shape. I smashed it up and it looked good, but when put into the heat it was a no go.

Ohh bummer. Yeah, I once had a kid who really wanted me to put a CZ in a clear pendant and learned that was a no go too. Lol.
    Create & Destroy!

I successfully encased tiny CZs some years back, but they were almost microscopic. You can do it in soft glass.

Aymie

My understanding is that Kyocera produces cheaper, resin based opals. As well as the gilson style that we use