The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Repairs with labels

Default Repairs with labels

Hey MP,

I got a few repairs on some tubes with labels, any precautions i need to make to keep the label in tact or just anneal like always?

Thanks!

TDR

Default Re: Repairs with labels

I don't think it can be done, if you hit those labels with any heat they will burn and look like shit

depends on the decal. i often do repairs with decal already on the piece. most of them will handle the flame from a bunsen burner but not direct heat from the torch. sometimes they turn all black but once you run them again the color with return. again this totally depends on which type of decal your using.

What he said. I do repairs on scientific glassware with decals on. Some logo's some graduated decals. Bunsens will blacken up the decal and even give them a metalic shine that just returns back to normal once annealed. If you have to remove decal use an acid (also heard grunge off can remove decal, haven't tried it though since I have acids) and it will remove 99 percent of the decal. It leaves a ghost decal that you can burn in. Then repair then redecal...

What type of acid works the best for removal? Or what type of grunge off? As far as the grunge off I know they have some for acrilyic(spelling?) or glass and say not use one type on glass or acrilyic or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by IsthmusColor View Post
    What type of acid works the best for removal? Or what type of grunge off? As far as the grunge off I know they have some for acrilyic(spelling?) or glass and say not use one type on glass or acrilyic or vice versa.
    maybe try borax