The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: my progression

Default Re: my progression

Thanks guys! Been tough to get some glass time in but it's totally worth it. Highly recommended!

Been so tired and busy lately but I need my studio time. I got standard wall Simax glass and I hate how thin it is. Having a tough time making pipes with it. getting frustrated yada yada yada. Here are some recent pendants.

Name:  pendant01.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  48.9 KBName:  pendant02.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  49.9 KBName:  pendant03.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  48.4 KBName:  pendant04.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  55.5 KBName:  pendant05.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  42.8 KB

That top piece is awesome!!! Fumed honeycomb or what? And have you attempted any implosions with that standard wall?

Thanks AP! That is a honeycomb on amber purple I believe. I have not....hmmmmm

Jump on it!! It may be worth your time for that acleast, I'm still struggling on what to get for my next order I'm thinking simax 19 heavywall. And maybe some 24, I have a cheetah but I'm not sure if I want to be making bowls or pendants.... so it's in the air

I will give it a try and post my results. My dot implosions are coming out nice but I don't have a decent pic. I was getting Chinese 25 or 26 from MGA and I love it for pipes. Got the 12mm for my pendants and I love that too. Haven't even thought of using standard wall for pendants yet. My brain doesn't work right sometimes. I mean sometimes. I mean most times. HAh!

Congrats on your little one!! Your pendants are looking really nice and your spoon shaping and bowl pushes look pretty good. Nice work. Keep it up.
    Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.

experiments with thermodynamics:
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35157

Thanks smolder! Started making some bubblers. I like how they are coming out and I'm getting the hang of bending tubing on my minor. Saving up for a new torch now and will have to switch to tanked oxy. Looking for a Nortel Midrange I think, my budget is very limited at the moment. Should I just save up for a nicer torch or is the Midrange any good? I've seen people who like it and others who don't. I have my eyes set on a Bravo but it's too pricey right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	64152

Name:  bubbler01.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  43.2 KB

What would a bubbler like this go for? They take me like 40 minutes on my minor.

Golden Green!! Why'd you change your name brother!! And how did those dot implosions come out? Bubblers on point though!

Nice work.... I got a brand new midrange plus I'm trying to sell if your interested

Just finished looking through your thread. Awesome work man, keep it up. Also, I just wanted to add this. I know everyone has a different way they price their work but I'll tell you how I price mine. I like to keep things simple and easy. So I price my work by the time it takes me to make it.

Hence forth, if I want to make 30 dollars an hour and it takes me 1 hour to make a piece then that piece is 30 dollars. Same idea if i wanted to make 90 dollars an hour and a piece that takes me 30 minutes I would charge 45 dollars. And like I said, I like to keep it simple so all my gas/oxygen, glass, and other supplies is considered covered in selling price per hour. If you are doing 30 dollars an hour and its not enough to cover your expenses then you need to raise your prices.

Now on to what a piece is worth. Lets say you make a piece and it takes you 45 minutes, you're charging 60 dollars an hour (1 dollar a minute) but that piece you made is just way to awesome to let go for 45 bucks. That's okay, charge more if you feel its worth more. On the other hand let say you make a piece but you're like, I don't know if this is worth 45 dollars. That means that you either need to stop making that type of piece (if its a production style piece) or learn to make it faster. If every piece you make you feel like you are charging to much for then you probably just need to lower your hourly rate.
    I could go on but I think you get the picture. I hope that helps some
    Last edited by IDoesGlass; 08-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.

AP I just thought I'd switch things up a bit. My friends call me matty po so I thought why not haven't tried any implosions on it yet didn't have much time this weekend

Jar jar I'm sending you a pm

Idoesglass thank you for your response. I have a pretty decent understand of what to price my work at. I listed the bubblers for 39.99 and I'm getting a decent amount of views on my etsy. Got my silver fumed pipes for 9.99 on there too. Might drop the bubb to 35 or 29.99 though.
    Thanks again guys!

Just got a message from etsy and no bubblers allowed. Stupid. I guess I'll stick to local sales. Anyone know of any sites online that are good?

made 32 restriction chillums in 3 hours the other day. seeing what i can pull off lately. i need to get myself into prodo mode right now. saving up for a bravo and i'm almost there. i already have one ex20 and would like to keep a similar setup and i heard the bravo is great on oxy consumption. just looking to upgrade a bit. i really am enjoying making these little guys. about 5 minutes each one max. just fixed my bowl push so i can start making spoons again. i need to make some doooooouuuuuugh!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bats.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	64444

Chillums look good. Really digging the top pendants (honey comb on amber purple). Your progress is very impressive. If your going to order a new Bravo, salt city glass still has them for $860 every other site ive seen has them at $975 now. I think the only reason for the price change is a new and improved stand. So if you dont mind the older stand then you can save $115 and no i dont work for them ha

monte thank you for the link. i used to see the bravo at that lower price and was surprised to see them at the price now 975. decisions are tough.

Just ordered a bravo. Can't wait to use it. Deciding on usin tanked oxy for the outer fire and my ex20 for the center fire. So pumped!

Looking good friend! What size tubing you using for those chillums??

They are 12mm. They fit perfect in that tiny pocket in a pair of Levi's