The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: my progression

Default Re: my progression

Well hell if your aware of that and usually do bigger holes than that's perfect I'd say haha. What tech are you gonna start on once you move out of clear bowls??

I got some sterling silver for free today so I am going to try my hand at fuming tonight. Not sure what to do after that right now. I have a tough time melting in color with my minor so I am going to hold off on color pipes. I like doing honeycombs so I will practice those. Any recommendations?

Not particularly but you could always do fumed honeycombs!! Would love to practice doing some of those but I'm worried bout my ventilation when it comes to fuming work.

Since your already doing good on hollow forming. Try doing some small jars or something. I mean honestly glass is such an amazing medium you can almost do anything with it. So go crazy do something weird.

I got some silver and tried fuming a couple spoons. I raked them and it was difficult melting in on my minor. I tried my best to melt it in and maintain the shape but I didn't have fun today. Can't see the fume in the shitty photos either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	60230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	60231

Been very busy lately so I haven't been to the studio in a few days but got my MMJ patient approval today

I started off with honeycombs today and a bit of fuming. I am loving the tube implosion and honeycomb techs, I can't say it enough. First pic is green exotic i believe. Second pic is a honeycomb with fume only. Kind of messed up but got some real nice colors after some striking. Third pic is a butterscotch honeycomb pendant I attempted and failed trying to make it one whole piece, loop included. Last 2 pics are 2 different attempts at fuming. I'm getting this blue black color it looks awful. Am I fuming too much? Burning it? I am moving the silver about an inch in front of the candles on a reducing flame going in and out of the flame. While the glass is hot towards the end and I am not getting any yellow at all it just turns this dark color. I'm going to keep at it but maybe I am adding too much fume? Thanks for looking guys.

Name:	37.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	60502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	60503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	60504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	60505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	60506

Use pure silver 99.9%

Yeah what are you using for silver? Ive never seen that blackish fume you got there.

Use a .999 silver round. You can get them here. http://www.jmbullion.com/silver/silver-rounds/

Its only 20 bucks for enough silver to last you a lifetime,just snip off tiny chunks with wire cutters. Or even better drill out shavings with a small drill bit.

I'm using sterling which is .925 I believe. I guess the bluish purple is normal seems I might be adding a bit much from what I've been reading

Quote Originally Posted by Goldngreen View Post
    I'm using sterling which is .925 I believe. I guess the bluish purple is normal seems I might be adding a bit much from what I've been reading

Yeah just get a .999 round and you'll be fine. All that black is the impurities in the silver. For gold you can use 22K and 24K but if you dont use .999 silver you're never going to get predictable results.

Ya sterling is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper so it is likely the copper causing the black. I use the pure silver wire from mountain glass its $4.48 a foot lasts a while and it is easy to cut

I use sterling sometimes but never get a look like that.
    are you using such a reducing flame that it is like soot mixing in with the fuming? just a guess.

I am using only a slightly reducing flame, close to neutral. I got some nice fume in the second photo. I'm going to try again, I read that people are having good luck using sterling. Usually the excess in sterling is copper, so not sure why I am getting this color. I read you get some blueish purples from sterling and that's what it looks like. I'll just keep at it and try again.

Got some time in the studio today. I think I am getting more consistent. Also I am having a much easier time picking holes and am happy with my mouthpieces. Tried fuming again with sterling and it came out nice. The black is from using the silver that drips on the table so I won't be using that anymore. I got these nice colors on the bowl and the stem and mouthpiece are yellow. Is that from heating the bowl longer than the stem and mouthpiece? I'd like the whole pipe to be the color the bowl looks like in the last pic. From what I gathered its the silver growing crystals? Thanks for looking guys.

Name:	42.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	60895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	60896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	60897

My third attempt at a bubbler today, 2nd sidecar attempt. I still have a lot of work to do but I get the urge to step out of my comfort zone every once and a while. This is the first time it didn't crack all over while I was heating the joint. I dropped it about 5 seconds after this picture and it broke so I guess the joint wasn't that great. Still much to learn but I had fun today. Sold my first pendant the other day so I made these 2 today. I am having fun and I finally got some purple out of my amber purple. I'd like to start working some color into my pipes but I think the Nortel just doesn't have the heat. Thanks for looking.

Name:	45.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	61023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	61024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	61025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	61026

That bub looks good man. I made more that three before I had one that survived.

It does not take much to work in a seal like that when you use a decent bridge. The trick is to plan ahead and put a little dot in a good place for your bridge before you try to attach anything.

I will have both pieces ready and I will get both sides hot and attach, pull, puff, ect. With the two pieces right where I want them I attach a bridge to the dots I placed (or just to the bottom

of the can where you cut the blowtube off). I usually have time to work the weld in before garaging it but I still take it in and out a couple of times and focus on making that really smooth.

A handtorch is so awesome to have. I stand by my kiln and work three bubs at a time. By the time I am garaging the third the first is ready to be taken out again.

You can hide your dots later by adding a pattern around them or cover them up with something like a jellyfish marble.

I did that exact thing! I don't have a kiln yet so I don't garage anything. I get frustrated when it doesn't work out but I do enjoy just learning from each piece and with what I have. Thank you for the tips, I need that stuff drilled into my head. I did plan ahead on this one and had everything ready, bridge was there, joint seemed fine but it failed. Oh well, ambitious attempt but I will now back peddle once again and continue on. Thank you for the tips Fumesniffer. Got any pics of your bubs?

This is an old one, I don't take a lot of pictures...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inlinerig01.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	61040

Name:	inlinerig02.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	61041

I like that man, bet she hits nice. I don't take as many photos as I should but I hope to when my stuff looks as nice as that. I have a background in photography so I should put it to use.

Thank you very much!!

Keep it up!! Your stuff has a nice flow to it already! You should really get a kiln though before you try to make too many more two piece pipes

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really hope to have one by the end of the month. I got the bad news I might have to move out of my studio in the next month or 2. If that's the case I'll have $200 extra a month and I could probably set something up in the basement.