The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: my progression

Default Re: my progression

Just made my first sale to a local shop. Told him I would do the whole case for $80. Ended up chatting with him for a while. You guys think I made out okay? I was pretty happy and it paid for my oxy. Getting my bravo in today and can't wait to fire it up

Hope to god It wasn't the case in the previous post!!! That was worth wayyy more than 80 in my opinion!

minus a few hitters and pipes but yeah

Well I got my bravo today and was pretty pumped to get to work on it. Spent 4 hours and didn't end up with one friggin thing worth saving! hah I have to get used to working on this thing. Not sure how to mount the griffin marver, seems to sit right above the outer fire knobs, awful placement as I keep burning my fingers when I try and adjust my outer fire (only after I use the marver). I couldn't make shit tonight. The alpha center fire seems to be putting out more heat than my minor. I have a problem with the inner fire though, I am not getting even candles. This might be due to my inner fire running on an ex20. Maybe too much psi? Don't know how to dial it down. I was pretty discouraged when I left the studio today. I thought I was getting somewhere with my minor but now I have the bravo I am back to square one :/

Going to take some getting used to. Full time work week and a new baby I'm lucky to get any torch time at all. Hopefully I can get back on tomorrow.

i charge my buddies 25 $ for a simple bub like that once you get em down you can do em in right around 20 mins

Marty,
    Don't stress it man!
    Seriously I have been torching for a long time and still have days where things don't work out.
    I learned when those days happen to just call it a day. Or do prep work.

Working a new torch will definitely take some getting used to, always does.
    More heat always changes the curve, just relax and take your time.
    The world is a vampire... "Smashing pumpkins"

This isn't the goldngreen I remember! You are rocking those spoons man your work is super clean and I'm sure once you get some time on your torch things will clean up for you!

Don't get discouraged for sure man, and about your marver being in the way you could always try putting it somewhere else?

I've got a bobcat and a cheetah and though my bobcat has
    a marver my cheetah doesn't it does however have a big chunk of graphite (my marble mold flipped over) next to it and it seems to work just as well! Just a little strange at first because it isn't the same feeling at all. I've also seen marvers mounted Below the torch. Just throwing some ideas out there for you. Innovate and overcome!!!

Dont worry Matt I had a similar thing happen to me when I went from a cricket to the lynx. Im just now starting to feel like I have total control over the flames,but I havent come anywhere close to maximizing its potential. Just keep grinding it out and minimize any distractions you have while working for a bit (music ect.)

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm going to get back at it hopefully this weekend. I want to start banging out some prodo spoons, started working on some IO frit and fume spoons. Almost had them last night. I'll get back at it and post the results. AC i tried an implosion on the 25mm simax. It came out pretty cool, my first fume only pendant. I don't have a photo though I'll have to take one. Thanks again guys, looking forward to progressing some more!

Stupid auto correct decided you are now Marty.
    The world is a vampire... "Smashing pumpkins"

Bummer about the bravo being a pain, but I'm sure you'll sort it out.

Your case is consistent, so you could have pulled more than $80 from it for sure but it's a start. Pricing is so hard! One of the worst parts of this.

Looking forward to seeing the fume pendant.

OH and btw, we all have bad days. They just get more expensive as time goes on. Keep it up!
    ~Misha

Working on some nicer prodo. Going to try and pump these out later this week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onie.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	65102

Thanks Misha! I have been working hard in the studio and in the office. I came up with a spreadsheet and formulas to price my own work. Counting in my overhead, labor, materials, I did it all. Took me hours but I now can just punch in a couple numbers and get a price for distributors, wholesale, and retail for any piece I make. I am very pumped. Hope to have a nice heavy picture post soon! Very excited.

That piece is awesome!!!! And I would love to see some of your algorithms for figuring out how to price your stuff. I'm sure alot of people on the forum would!!

I've been thinking to do some chillums might just do it tonight or tomorrow thanks!!

That's cool you have a system for pricing. Selling ourselves short always sucks.

Hey...digging the frit piece! I love frit.
    ~Misha

I'm finally able to get the purples to pop with my amber purple frit! Love it! Thanks guys. Do you think anyone would be interested in a customizable spread sheet? I spent a lot of time on it and it's not done yet but it's very dynamic. Possibly I could put it up for download for a couple bucks? It's pretty damn accurate and I am able to get my profit percentage for each piece.

I would be for sure!!

I bet people would go for that. I don't know how you'd offer it and collect a payment...maybe by sending the dl link once you get the payment and hoping they don't share. I'm sure there are platforms out there for digital downloads that you could tap into, but might not be worth the time.
    ~Misha

Your work is really comming along, some really nice looking stuff lately. I am impressed on the inline bubble a few pages back that is pretty damn nice!!
    I would be down for a spreadsheet for sure, would save me time on making my own. Which is time I could spend behind the torch.

Thank you James. I am still working on the spreadsheet but when it is complete I might offer it up. I will have to spend more time behind the torch and less in front of a excel spreadsheet because I was sucking today for sure. My chillums are fogging up on the glass surface. I can't melt it away. I have only had this problem a few times before but now with the bravo it is happening all the damn time (last 2 photos). I think it is devitrification but I have never had this problem occur so often before. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Also I can't get a good bowl push on my chillums. The hole seems fine after I pop it then I go and push it in and I get this shitty hole. Damnit I am so frustrated! I am so burnt out I might take a week off to spend with my family. I hate spending 4 hours in my studio and getting nowhere. My first chillum of the day came out great until I noticed a crack it in 3 hours later. I am just going to file the day under 'at least it was some experience'. I am done being negative for the day. some shitty photos of the day...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todaysucked_01.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	65192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todaysucked_02.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	65193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todaysucked_03.jpg 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	65194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todaysucked_04.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	65195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todaysucked_05.jpg 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	65196

That stuff happens to me all the time when I work the mouth piece. I am no expert but it seems to me that when I am working the mouth and about done with the shaping, I tend to flex my arm a bit and bend the pipe as it is cooling. I can usually just get it a bit melty again and the it goes away. It appears to me that it is stress from movement while cooling. Also when I do chillums I don't push the bowls anymore, just use a gather technique and leave the tube open. I blow a small bubble on the bowl end then gather right behind it. Then open the top and flare it out a bit, then you don't have to worry about the push on the small bowls. I have had the problem with the crappy holes when I push them, I usually just get a pin point flame on the bowl and it melts back together.

Don't worry buddy, it is not wasted time. Wait until you have worked 6 hours on a sick ass bubbler and you go and put another attachment on it and then BAM!!! the night goes wrong!!