The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Money in Glass?

Default Money in Glass?

Hello everyone. I was just going to ask if there is any money to be made working with glass? Im sure if you are amazing at glass work you can sell some stuff, however I am just talking about the average artist? I am for sure not looking to get rich just wondering if anyone sells stuff to maybe pay for tools or glass? It seems to be a very expensive hobby. But I am way to hooked to quit even if I never make a penny Thank you all for your time! Beth

Default Re: Money in Glass?

Your enthusiasm is refreshing, but the short answer is no. That 'no' goes for most people, not all though. It sure is fun though.

Be ready to grind it the fuck out. I support my daughter myself and z good portion of my daughters moms shit all through glass work , production gets old, but my bills are paid , I make nice shit every so often, bug mostly filling distributor prodo orders. I work. 7 days a week, it's taxing on your body, I'm always in a rush,but i make it happen. More and more so these days an air conditioned office with good pay and weekends sounds pretty aight.

Nice question,

I d like to say "it s a hard way to the top".
    It just takes many years of practice to be able to make good,unique stuff.
    Next,its not easy to find the good places to sell good,non cheap glass art.
    Btw,what do zou mean with "very expensive " hobby ?
    Many people go to play golfi,go diving,riding big motor bikes or spend hundreds of dollars a month for clothes .
    They spend easily some 100 $ for a nice meal in a good restaurant but are close to a heart attack when it comes to pay 80 bucks for a nice peace of glass.
    Sometimes people told me that they dont buy glass art because its so fragile.I asked them wahat happens with a good meal after you have eaten it.
    I got no answers.
    So I think the best reason for working with hot glass is passion and frustration resistance.

so long,Axel

Anything is possible. I sell my wares at music fests ,art shows and consignment to stores. It more then pays for itself. But it is hard to make big purchases. I would drop your cable/satellite bill and put that money/time into glass. My biggest worry is staying motivated. Its really hard for me sometimes. I better get off the phone and get to work. Good luck!

There's an old joke:

How do you become a millionaire working with glass?

Start with 2 million.

Ha.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Quote Originally Posted by beth13s View Post
    ...I am for sure not looking to get rich just wondering if anyone sells stuff to maybe pay for tools or glass?...
    If that is all you are looking for, it is no problem. As hobbies go, it is actually a great one. It is easily possible to sell what you make, pay for costs of the hobby and have a little bit leftover to put into something else you want/need. If you have an income and aren't trying to make glass your job/career, then it's really not much of a struggle at all.

I have been able to make enough $$ to help support my habit but not compensate for all the $$$ I have put in to equipment and materials over the years.

The question I have is do you think you will be as interested in selling your work as you are in making it? You will realistically spend as much time cold calling retail pipe or bead stores, planning and running Christmas booths, hawking at Phish shows, and talking your friends and family into buying another piece as you will making your inventory.

Who here makes glass and does not sell any of it?

I mean very expensive hobby for someone with health problems and trying to pay very expensive medical bills. I understand people spend a $100 on a meal but I have never meant one. I am from a very small town and our most expensive restaurant would be no more than $30 for a family of four. I have no hobbies, or cable T.V. I do not go on drives or spend hundreds of dollars a month for clothes. I have found this really weird connection with glass! I cant get enough. All I was trying to ask is if it was possible for a really broke person to pursue glass work or if I should quit before I spend to much money? Can a person recycle glass and use that? What I mean by that is if i was to make a marble and it did not turn out well could I reuse it somehow? Also like broken windows or bottles?

I really love blowing glass, any money I have made is a direct result of that. I also am willing to spend a lot of time selling my glass, and there are folks with much more talent than me who give up cause they cannot find and outlet for their product. It really is a tough set of skills to to build. To be the everyone from CEO to laborer all wrapped in one. I do the research, order the materials, manage the shop, manage the books, manufacture the products, ship packages and do all the advertising myself. There is quite a bit to it and it can be overwhelming. I could not imagine life without it

I would recommend spending $80 on a pair of glasses, then find any glassblower in your area and kick it with them. They are out there, find them and hang out.

Seems like I spent a ton but compaired to other hobbies that just keep getting more and more personally expensive to progress, this has some kick back. o2 and propane guys like free shit just as much as I.

My cuz bought a rider with prodo money, so we have actually generated some flow

buy china clear (by the case if you can)...buy 2nds for color...or even shorts. if you can save for it, get a couple oxycons so you don't keep paying the gas man. of course it's possible for a broke person to blow glass as a hobby....hell i do and i'm very broke.
    you will spend a lot of money at first, there is no way around that. once you have your tools and equipment, it's not too expensive to maintain.
    just keep a smallish torch (nortel midrange w/premix is perfect) and a couple oxycons or a homefill....it's possible.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

LOL my wife says no.

Hi Beth,

for a while you will be spending money on safety equipment (glasses, ventilation and fire extinguisher are non-negotiable), tools and glass, after that initial burst of spending it should be possible to coast awhile on what you have acquired and practice, practice, practice. At that point your outlay is mostly for propane, O2 and electricity.

The glass itself, especially soft glass is relatively inexpensive, especially if you stay away from the silver glasses. Boro is more expensive to buy and to melt as it takes more time to work and uses more O2 and propane.

I usually don't even try to re-use pieces that didn't come out right, it would generally be a total pain in the ass and require kiln pre-heating, figuring out how to hold it while melting, etc. Maybe you could make frit with failed pieces (easy to do with soft glass, not so easy with boro). You can get glass from any source; and yes some people have used pretty bottles (SKYY vodka for example). Stained glass supply is also another source, especially if you know anyone in the biz and can get a hold of their scraps. BUT be very careful about not mixing glass from different sources or you will likely end up with compatibility failures. If you are interested in making functional stuff (pipes), boro is pretty much the standard glass to use. Beads, sculpture, etc can be made with whatever glass you have or can get.

Search the forum for DIY tools and other money saving ideas. Also, highly recommend the Bandu book: Contemporary Lampworking, it is widely considered the bible of lampworking. He explains annealing very well so you can set up your own schedules for whatever glass you want to use.

Making money at this will take time. Time and materials practicing until you have something worthy to sell, time spent marketing your wares on social media, etc. Time to maintain an online store or time to hit up local stores to sell your stuff. Time to find where the artist shows are and if they are worth the travel and booth fees. Time and money to develop a nice, portable display booth. If you go the on-line route you will also invest considerable time on taking the best photos you are capable of and probably money on better photography equipment.

I am not trying to discourage you, but rather give you a realistic view of what is required to get to the point of actually selling your work. If this could be just a hobby for you it might be much more fun and possible cheaper overall considering the cost of glass is the least of your expenses if you try to sell.

I invested 1800$ in 2004. I documented all of my supplies and all of the jank pipes I sold. In the first year I was out of the red and I've been in the black ever since. I still have the same book I started with. It's entertaining for me to read it.
    I have no clue what I would be doing if I never started glass. Scares me to think about. I'm one of the only people in my friend group that owns a house and a new car. It's sad, we are all almost 30! And also the only one not working 9-5s.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

There's tons of money in glass. Look at companies like Fenton, Steuben, and oh wait, nevermind.
    Distributor of Gentec Products for the Glass Blowing Industry

Contact me for everything Gentec!

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

Shit, my safety glasses were over 300$ alone!

Quote Originally Posted by fUmEsNiFfEr View Post
    Who here makes glass and does not sell any of it?
    Me, but I have a day job and I used to sell it at fairs and festivals when I was younger (in the 80's). Back then, a booth at most fairs was around 500-700 for a week, I hate to think of what it costs now. You can sell a lot of glass in a week but spend months getting ready for it, I made so many unicorns I never wanted to see another. Selling it was always my least favorite part, now it's solely a hobby and I make what I want when I want and it's a lot more fun.

However, I'm not rich and keeping the cost low is difficult because there are always things I'd like to buy (never ending wish list). Here's some things I do to keep the cost down.

Almost all of my color is shorts, it's a cheap and easy way to get a variety of things. I don't mind welding them to a piece of clear to make use of them because I'm not in a hurry. I will buy some odds once in a while too.

I buy some of my clear from a local scientific shop, that way I can buy a few pieces at a time of this and that and I don't have to pay shipping on it. I also usually give them something I made to keep them friendly since they're doing me a favor. The one place I used to buy from once gave me a box of 3/4" rod because I gave his wife a marble. He couldn't use because it had a line down it but works fine for me (I'm still using that rod).

i have way more into it than i have made. its starting to catch up now that im 4 years in. i have made good money with my day jobs and have bought all the top of the line equipment so i can make whatever my heart desires. i started off wanting to do it full time but, i doubt i ever will. I make good money and get to make what i want when i want, but i still make prodo for shops every night after work. its nice to have an extra 400 bucks from a shop. id like to phase away from all that and just make the stuff i like to make. kobuki 3.5k, herbie 3k, scarab 2k(score), 2 homefilles 1.5k, exhaust fan 400$, tools/sand blaster/electro setup air compressor 1k

lots of money spent, wouldnt trade it up. something really special about this shit
    On to new artforms and adventures. Its been real glass crew