The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: blowing glass with a laser

Default Re: blowing glass with a laser

Crazy!

every time someone remixes tears for fears, i remember dead race car drivers, that one kid with the cancer, bad cop shows, peta advertisements and now glass lathes. what is wrong with me?

really sweet machine. i wonder if they can spread the beam and blow stuff or if it's just good for seals?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kooper View Post
    A light saber style torch would be sick!

A geeky friend has been bugging me to make laser rigs. Instead of torches heating ti, a laser
    Did you ever end up doing this? When I read this post...mind = blown. You're friend is a both a genius, and a revolutionary.

Stoner engineering at it's absolute finest.

We might be cooking somsomething up.
    He's an engineer and crazy smart. I use to copy his homework in science class. Hiding wires and batteries has been the biggest struggle. I want it to appear wireless.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

a good friend of mine nearly blinded himself with a laser pointer, shooting it into this quartz crystal while he was shrooming.

make sure you don't make it look TOO cool..

Sure lets talk about lasers.
    1) You can spread the beam but you still have the same amount of energy. So spreading to beam is only spreading the same amount of energy over a wider area. Say focused laser can head a 1 square mm point to 1000°F OR that laser can heat a 4 square mm point to 250°F. To heat something 4 times the size to the same temperature you would need to increase the energy output by 4 times. (This is all approximate and there are losses and other elements at play here)

2) If a laser is bright enough to burn something, the reflected light it powerful enough to damage unprotected eyes. So please be careful. You can read up on powerful handheld lasers at candlepowerforums.com. There are several thread on eye protection and eye damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeE View Post
    Sure lets talk about lasers.
    1) You can spread the beam but you still have the same amount of energy. So spreading to beam is only spreading the same amount of energy over a wider area. Say focused laser can head a 1 square mm point to 1000°F OR that laser can heat a 4 square mm point to 250°F. To heat something 4 times the size to the same temperature you would need to increase the energy output by 4 times. (This is all approximate and there are losses and other elements at play here)

2) If a laser is bright enough to burn something, the reflected light it powerful enough to damage unprotected eyes. So please be careful. You can read up on powerful handheld lasers at candlepowerforums.com. There are several thread on eye protection and eye damage.
    For some reason, this post gave me an idea. What about an e-nail type device, that used a laser to heat the nail instead of a metal coil? So the laser in a fixed position as opposed to handheld/wireless.

The e-nail as is stands is pretty dope already, but still, just the mere fact of having a laser to heat your nail...that's some next level shit, lol.

Wow, I guess I missed this one the first go around...nice stuff.

Other practical application: non-atmospheric or controlled-atmospheric glass welding. All the new "technical" glass being made now, some of it's bound to have limits as to what you can do with a flame due to the presence of oxygen, hydrogen, and possibly carbon. You could even operate in a vacuum -zero G or not, that opens the door for a ton of special applications.

I'm pretty sure Arnold Gruppe (Herbert Arnold) is making these because of demand - or banking on the formation of demand very soon.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

I need to cut tubing with a laser. Any ideas on where a laser could be acquired for this task and what wattage I need to cut 25x 4 mil tube? or is there a better cleaner way to cut tubing?
    Last edited by xiaan; 01-27-2020 at 10:23 PM.
    Im offering free 1 hour lampworking lessons in the Alki and west Seattle area.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaan View Post
    I need to cut tubing with a laser. Any ideas on where a laser could be acquired for this task and what wattage I need to cut 25 mil tube? or is there a better cheaner way to cut tubing?
    I'm assuming this is a joke, but the P1040 Lazer in the video Trevor posted has information listed on this PDF: http://www.saengvith2000.com/5.Laser.pdf There is also contact information / specifications of the machines there as well if you wanted to purchase one.

Probably around the tune of $500,000 - $1,000,000 + US.

So yea I'd cut tubing with your torch, or jaws tool / cold shock method. (Make a cut with carbide blade, put a little drop of water on it, then touch a soupy hot punty to that score and it will create a perfect crack along your score line and crack the tube.)

Yea, lasers are pretty spendy.
    Im offering free 1 hour lampworking lessons in the Alki and west Seattle area.