The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Michigan Glass Project?

Default The Michigan Glass Project?

Guess I got some torch time, so I am heading solo from Dayton, OH up north to Detroit, MI June 5-8th... Anyone else going or need a ride on the way? Waiting for the torch schedule, but wondering if anyone else who got torch time would want to collab. Would love to do some sculptural components for someones piece. Hit me up. If anyone has a backyard I could throw a small tent up in that would be rad too lol. Have no idea what I have gotten myself into, but I have been representing my boss's work and not so much my own. This is my first go at anything like this. Going to go hard! Waiting until I get more info before I decide what I am going to make.
    Create & Destroy!

Default Re: The Michigan Glass Project?

Hey Borobot! If you are looking for crash space you should post up on the Facebook group page. I'm sure someone will offer you a place if you ask. I'd put you at my spot, but it's already a zoo. There is a ton of photos from the last two years events, so you can get an idea of how it goes. My name is Drew, introduce yourself when you get there.

Is there safe car camping?
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    IG tcbbyltd_lukethedrifter
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590
    add stage with bypass $630

^^^haha^^^
    No doubt I just saw some shit on the news about people affraid to stop for gas because their cars are getting jacked by armed criminals at the pumps. I don't have facebook, and I am still waiting for the torch time schedule to be sent my way via email. At this rate it may be better to stay back at the shop and make pipes and money.
    Create & Destroy!

If I don't show up, I will kick some glass that way to benefit the cause.
    Create & Destroy!

Default The Michigan Glass Project?

I don't know what happens at night after the show but I do know during the show the gate is manned, and no one had problems in the parking lot last year that I heard of.

Someone did leave their keys hanging out of the trunk lock. I took them inside to get someone to make an announcement. I guess that was a problem, but was easily solved.

Parking lot is safe.
    ~Misha

I plan on traveling in my truck and sleeping in it with my dog. Is that kosher?
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590

Detroit bashing is a fun sport. Unfortunately it makes you look like an ignorant ass. This place kicks ass and will definitely fuck you up if you are a dick, so mind your manners, play heads up and everything will be cool. This event centers around reconditioning peoples thoughts about the city and projecting a positive image. Any shit talk about my hometown will not be tolerated and abruptly discontinued. If it's to weird for you, then don't come. The site is extremely safe and secure. Last year I spent all three nights crashed out at the spot to make sure nothing happened. Detroit is a crazy place full of all sorts of folks, so mind your p's and q's and we will show you the time of your life.

@borobot Everyone is welcome to come. I'm sorry you don't have a facebook. It is the primary way that we have been communicating with everyone in the industry and use it as a template. I would suggest hitting up volunteer@themichiganglassproject.com again if you would like torch time. We are extremely busy lining things up and sometimes details slip through the cracks.

@LTD There is no car camping at the spot. We need to secure the space and everyone must leave. You could probably park in the main lot of the warehouse at the russell industrial or park in a neighborhood not nearby. The lot is guarded, but there are packs of stray dogs that pass through the tracks, so I would not suggest staying there with a dog in the car. If you want to camp I have absolutely no sugggestions other than asking people at the show/facebook or finding a spot outside of the city which is maybe twenty minutes away. I'm only trying to cover my ass and not give you advice that would potentially put you in harms way. I would suggest using facebook to find a spot to park and crash.

Who was bashing your city? Sorry if it seemed that way... That message totally made me feel not welcome even though you directly told me afterwards that everyone is welcome to come haha. Anyways, I wish the glass project and your city the best of luck, and I hope everyone has a safe and fun time. Looks like I won't be able to make it, need to stay home and make money!
    Create & Destroy!

Quote Originally Posted by Borobot View Post
    ^^^haha^^^
    No doubt I just saw some shit on the news about people affraid to stop for gas because their cars are getting jacked by armed criminals at the pumps.
    No, you're not bashing the D, other people are (and have been, and continue to, ad nauseum) and then it makes it seem like all of Detroit is dangerous, not a safe place to hang, so people stay away. I feel safe there, especially during the event, and at all the parties.

Shit, people say all kinds of stuff online and on the news, do you believe all of it?

LTD: I would never recommend anyone sleeping in their car, with or without a dog, in any major metropolitan city- whether it's Detroit, Toledo, Chicago, Cincinnati...

borobot: If you could have taken the time to ask around a bit, someone would probably have said, "sure, no problem, we have space for you." I thought you said you have been given torch time? but you've decided not to come now, I hope not because of this one thread?
    Julz

"Free Your Mind, and Your Glass Will Follow"

I have slept in my car in a lot of big cities. I appreciate the heads up. I guess the dog is staying home, she really likes the glass crowd. No big deal. Who has hotel recommendations? Anyone want to split a room? I really want to make this trip..... I am living full time in Michigan after all... I have never come to this event, are we able to set up and work... or is it only the artists on the flyer? If so, do I bring my torch and tools? Thanks for the info!
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590

I got torch time! I got volunteer time! Love being in Detroit!
    Last edited by Dan Kooper; 05-27-2014 at 10:55 PM.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

It's really easy to make friends at the show. Lots of them rented double beds and are solo. Find someone at the show. Maybe even me. Anyone can have the "shit I ain't got - be the shit I gotta take" attitude though. Not just bums and "urban areas" lol
    last time my car got robbed was at a grocery store in a town that was smaller then a Walmart.

I LOVE DETROIT
    not for what it is, but for what it isn't.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

+1 to it being safe enough.

I took the bus last year and when in Detroit for 5 days pretty much walked or took cabs. I'm sure there's dangerous places, but I had no issue asking directions on foot at night.

Also last year I stayed at the Weston as the double tree was booked by the time I called, and I have zero complaints. Was the same price, and pretty fancy. Things were booked up because of some other electronic music thing called orion fest? If I remember correctly. if it is going on again your options closer to the city could be more limited.

Here is the room block. There is a Jehovah's witness convention so every room in town is booked. This is the closest hotel we could get.

The hotel for the event is the Holiday Inn Express in Allen Park. It is 10 miles directly down the freeway from the event space. The rates are $126 for kings, $136 for doubles. Phone: 313-323-3500 Roomblock: The Michigan Glass Project

@ltd hit up the Project group page for torch time. We have a very strict schedule that we follow in an effort to maximize torch time. This is an expensive party to throw and we need to make the most of it. We ask that artist come with a prepped piece and work within their realm of reasonable skill. We do not encourage "stunting" and ask that you make something that you are comfortable with and make on the regular to ensure success of the piece. Kiln space is limited, so keep handles to a minimum. We end up with a pile of unfinished pieces every year and hope that this year we have no spare parts. We also have limited materials, so please bring what you need to make the magic happen.

No this thread is not the reason I am not coming. All is good, I trust the D. I live in a D haha. I can not make it mainly because Atlantic City ate my wallet, and I did not prepare well enough. I contacted Allison at the project and told her my situation as soon as possible after reaching my decision. Bummed I can't make it. Going to try to prepare and set up a collab next year and get my self in the know in time. I kind of got ahead of myself by signing up. Apologies and best of luck.
    Create & Destroy!

Maybe LTD will get my previously scheduled torch time
    Create & Destroy!

I actually asked about torch time as soon as I knew who to ask. I guess I get two hours at the end of the last night.
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590