The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help with Tubing break down

Icon5 Help with Tubing break down

Ok, so I tried to break down some of my 1 inch heavy wall tubing today. I want to be able to break it down into maybe 3-4 inch sections. I tried a couple different methods.

First I scored it really well all the way around. Then I tried to pull and snap apart. That didn't work (maybe I'm a weakling.)

Then I tried the ol' score it, wet it, and touch it with a hot, molten rod. No go. And I kept wetting it and touching a hot rod to it with no result.

The only thing I got to semi-work was to score it, wet it and stick it in the flame of my torch. Even this was something I had to do over and over before I finally got it to break. And when it broke, it only broke evenly a couple times (out of maybe 6 or 7 tries.)

Am I just retarded or something? I mean, I watched some videos where one of the guys was doing the score and snap method with no problem. Even with 1 inch heavy wall. And I've heard people on this forum talk about the score, wet, and touch with hot rod method. So does anyone have some tips or tricks to get any of these methods to work properly?

I'm just a little frustrated because I fucked up a bunch of good tubing just trying to get a nice even break. Maybe I just have shitty glass? I mean, it's not chinex, but it is chinese stuff...I think it's Simax or something. But my friend has good ol' pyrex brand and he can't do this stuff either.

Someone help please!

Default Re: Help with Tubing break down

Flame cut it or zak love it

pull points

Just flame cut your one inch tube. It's not that heavy. cut your five footer into thirds and then go from there.

People score and snap their tubes so they can bust out crappy prodo. It probably saves about a minute. Which adds up if you're making a lot of pieces. Do it 30 times and you just saved a half hour. pretty good. But if you're only making five pieces you just saved 5 minutes. Big friggin deal.

I do the thirds and work off the tube directly .

For score and snap on 1 inch hvy I score nice about a third around the tube ,wet it , then take the hot rod and shock , I get the rod WHITE HOT (you want it to punty weakly to the cold tube ) I even dont care if it bubbles just white hot is what you want , also the smaller rod (gather) you shock with the better , this will eliminate those spider crack gigs and send the ring straight around .
    I have done this for sections down to 1 inch and up to thirds .

By the way Simax is Chech glass , but it is better than Pyrex . IMO
    Last edited by NUBBLET; 07-05-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Just score around the tube, put hands on both sides and snap it in half useing your arms and elbows for leverage, clean every time, usually, lol. I cut those in half and then half the halfs, attach 9.5 blowtube. Pulling points waste's o2, for me anyway. Good practice though. Im a scrooge with the o2.
    At what we pay you would be too. lol

Hey start lifting some weights and get some extra muscle if youre haveing a hard time with that tech for score and snap, it will be worth it when you get it down, break a 1 inch tube down in abot 30 seconds.

I quit the pull apart after a nasty mishap , which I am still reminded of daily . I didnt need stiches since a whole chunk was gone , it did slice real clean though .

Looks like I'll just have to get some muscle! I have no trouble snapping the tube in half, it's just when I want to snap maybe a 4 or 5 inch section and can only use one arm/elbow.

Oh and I figured out it's not Simax, it's cheapo Sunsillica from Sundance. It comes in 30" lengths, not the 5 footers.

And lots of the time I do just work straight from the tube. That's how I do most of my inside out stuff. But I don't like points so much (I realize they do have their uses and I use them sometimes.) I just like using 9.5 handles when I'm not working straight from the tube.

Thanks for your help guys!

Never used Sunsilica , but the above method I have not had any trouble with the variety of brands I have used . Good Luck

I have heard of a vise and nail to cold snap , score and wet then place in vise with a nail along the backside of the the tube along the score and tighten slowly, if memory is correct they used a cloth or thin rubber piece to keep the vise from being directly on the tube ( minus the nail) . I havent tried it yet though .

You need to tap the glass when you put that molton dap on your wet scored glass. she'll fall of when you tap it with the molton glass tip on the tube.

bc

I only break and score 9 and 12 mil hw blowtubes. I used to cut and break 25 hw and bigger when I started, some standerd wall. Cut myself a couple times so I quit the cold breaking. Try scoring all the way around and touching with the end of a 3-4 mil, almost white hot.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not giving up just yet! I was thinking about it last night and if nothing else, I'll just break it into sections that are twice as big as I want (because I think I can actually do that) and then attach a blowtube to each end and flamecut in the middle. This might save me some time anyway, so we'll see.

I'm still going to give the molten rod another try. I had been using 7 mil for this, but will try 3 mil and give it a tap. I'll let you guys know if it works out

Thanks again for all the help!

i have never had a problem with hot canning... now with some practice the tooth is consiterably smaller.

i have found if you let it not be white hot but let it go to a dull orange and is stiff when you press it results are alot better. if it doesnt crack all the way around continue....

and smack it at the end of your crack no in the middle.

i wouldnt use the torch to shock ,, you can run the risk of getting an uncontolable crack...

get an 80$ wet tile saw from lowes if you want just sections.. otherwise pull points, it's just one inch

My friend showed me how to break a tube in half by scoring and putting a needle flame into the very edge of the score, not facing directly into the tube. It worked and he said he learned it at Salem.

i pop it in half, then pull double points in the middle of each half. ta da, four points pulled with about 10 inches on each one. less than ten minutes. then pull points of each one. usually get 11-12 points in maybe 20 minutes.