The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do tools have personalities?

Default Do tools have personalities?

Cuz my tweezers are sneaky assholes!

I swear these things are trained in the ancient art of ninjutsu. I can put them down on the cleanest of benches and they will disappear immediately.

Do any of your tools have quirks?

My blowhose inevitably would hit the ground or end up in my cooling bucket at the lathe. I found a small neodymium magnet just behind the mouth piece makes a good keeper. Still occasionally sneaking back into water bucket firmly stuck to a handle from a tool.

I own three sets of jaws not because I need three sets but those things kept disappearing and ending up in the tool chest. Very cleverly disguised.

Default Re: Do tools have personalities?

I have plenty of things in my shop that will constantly be in the open or worse, in the way, until I actually need them. Then they vanish into another dimension.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

I had a pair of brand new graphite parchovis hanging in my shop for years. Never used them. They just hung out - also on a big neodymium magnet. One day I have an "aha!" moment and realized how valuable they would be to a product I was making... Gone. Never seen again.

I really don't think they were swiped though. I feel like they are just hanging somewhere random. Hidden from me. Possibly having a laugh.

I have so many pairs of tweezers strategically placed on my bench. My pencil reamer though would be lucky to have as many friends, he committed suicide last week by leaping from my bench. He was always feeling so used..

My small tweezers…the ones I use to attach all my flowers and grab stones from the cup in the kiln, and damn near everything I do…yeah those guys are assholes and like to hide. I am not really sure how they manage to use rainbow duct tape as camouflage, but they do.

Aymie

I think these tweezers must have a conspiracy to drive us all mad. Mine love to hide, also with colored tape going against them.

I try to set them on the base of my torch for safe keeping and quick locating but I swear they have wings and fly to other spots.
    ~Misha

My reverse tweezers are always hiding. I use them to open every hole
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    IG tcbbyltd_lukethedrifter
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590
    add stage with bypass $630

I got to a point where if I don't put my tweezers back on top of my crack off jar each time, I wind up searching for them for 10 minutes in the mess on the bench They just turn sideways and boom...invisible.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

I've got like 12 tweezers, and can never find the ones I need

lol you lot and your tweezer issues! i have one pair on the right, short flat ones, use them to discard scrap glass from ends all the time. a very long pair lives on the left, for many purposes, often handling small things into the kiln sort of thing. pretty much they both behave well, and stay where they should, altho my bench is usually pretty messy.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

My tweezers are definitely prima donnas. They have their own place and order next to my torch, nobody else is allowed to use them, and I put them up each night.
    The rest of my tools are whores. They're all over the table for anyone to use and abuse.

In my short time on the torch, i've seen several pairs of tweezers destroyed. I won't that let that happen to mine.

Least im not the only tweezer nut around here. Magnent knife rackon the edge of the bench is perfect for tweezers, I can grab my favorite ones without even looking away. Maybe I shouldn't but I use these diy shaped up cheap ones for everything.

I try and keep mine on their magnets... but they like to hide
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    IG tcbbyltd_lukethedrifter
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590
    add stage with bypass $630

Oh, I feel so much better after reading this thread. I'm not the only person obsessed with tweezers. I have a pair of tweezers on each side of my bench, and about 4 more pair piled up on the side of my bench, AND another couple pair floating around, just in case I need them or in case my favorite pair of tweezers someday decides to go AWOL on me.
    Christine Hansen
    www.christinehansen.com

Ive found the 'stripes of colored tape on the handle of a tool' trick helps them to be located more easily on a messy bench. I also use the magnetic bar on the side of my bench for quick access to the tools I use often. Aside from that, ive forced myself to just use a tearing rod for most situations a set of tweezers might be used for. these days my tweezers r used minimally..
    "LIve to Love, lOve tO lIve"

Mine do, Im very picky about tools. If you stick my tweezers in flame they will slap you in the jaw
    Melting wax one candle at a time

All I know ... is IF I ever clean my shop ... some where .. there are at least 4 tungsten rods on my bench or the floor . that the shop has eaten.. My bowl push .. has .. a bit of performance anxiety it gets nervous on big pieces .. and hides right when I need it.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

I think tweezers to a lampworker are pretty much the equivalent of jacks to a furnace worker, as far as importance goes.

As far as tools having personalities, I'm not sure about mine, but I know they are magic. I can set a tool down next to me, go to pick it up 30 seconds later and it has disappeared...

hmmm never had a pair...lol

of tweezers that is, just encase someone was gonna be funny
    Last edited by LooseSeal Baller; 06-18-2014 at 09:04 PM.