The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

Default Re: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

hey nicko0 i roll the toner on then dunk in right away in water that was just boiling or you can just hold it under the tap with the hot water on. if you use the tap make sure the water is hot enough that you cant hold your hand under it
    Quote Originally Posted by nicko0 View Post
    how long are you all soaking the paper? a few minutes isnt cutting it here.

how long should i keep it rolled up tight? will a whole minute improve things?

should i let the glass cool alot more to help keep it stuck to the glass?

ive already screwed up a few times

Default Re: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

im making a proper video from start to finish and ill have it up soonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	12469429_983572275023678_6924461568248405298_o.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	81130

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10597498_1005151719543525_2098481713_n.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	81132

All of the videos got removed, but this is the coolest tech I've ever seen! Can somebody please explain the process? :S

Yes the videos are 'private' now.

Is this a valid thing or just BS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Yes the videos are 'private' now.

Is this a valid thing or just BS?
    It is real,pretty neat,I really dose work.Few different things/ways you can with it but pretty much a temporary tattoo on the glass,then I fume and remove the toner with the kiln or the flame,get different results with each way.I was able to get some real detailed images.I just prep everything in the kitchen oven haha.http://webgram.co/tag/tonertech

What's that webgram sight looks like mostly bowvalllys instagram pictures .

One of his latest the fume tech with female form colab piece is prob my favorite one yet .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by jr23 View Post
    What's that webgram sight looks like mostly bowvalllys instagram pictures .

One of his latest the fume tech with female form colab piece is prob my favorite one yet .
    Just a random link I had saved,there was a tube on here done on flat plate rolled up to a tube,I want to try that!

Yep bowvallly and I have done some buisness last year .

I can tell he is going to go far . Very bright future for him .

Do you have any boro float . I bought about 20-30 3x5 sheets from Jeffs pieces on Facebook
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

so i never did get glossy mag paper to work.

i decided to try again.

it appears that the paper comes away clean from the toner in the video. the paper leaves behind fibers in the toner when i do it. and no matter how long i soak it in simmering or hot water it still inconsistantly pulls off toner.

i am using a new hp printer and a new brother printer.

i bake the blanks in the annealer so they are super clean.

im rolling it on at 400

im pressing pretty hard but maybe its possible to press harder, cause when i do it with my solvy method it sticks really well. i dunno.

maybe i need glossier paper? but i can see its just regular glossy mag paper in the vid.

Magizine paper is everything. You need a higher quality mag to start.

I had good luck with my "powder" ski mag. I had less luck with sports illustrated/playboy (made local in NY at quad graphics)

My juxtaposed mag worked well too, but I save them.

Hope your killing it space man style in baton rough. Post up some pics of that colab with that/any greasy glass will you? (Fresh out of the kiln thread)

In tho o.g. Vid he said "400" but he is using "450"...

Also, imo, the floor of your kiln may have hotter/cooler brick. In a oven on a rack, it's even heated air below and above on that rack. Perhaps place a rack in your kiln.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-didKlCxI
    Last edited by BORO; 08-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.

word. ill go to books a million and get the shiniest one. i think someone said glossy paper at office depot, so i might try that. i use the kitchen oven to preheat. ill definily try a higher heat.

will do on the greasy.

ive considered coating paper in gelatin or aloe vera gel, after reading about diy liquid stringer. but thats more work, and i already have a perfectly reliable method with solvy thats time and money consuming vs paper.

so i got the glossiest mag at barns n noble. 450 preheat pressed hard. simmered the paper. still stuck to the paper and pulled the toner off the glass. was even worse than cheap glossy.

Idk. I only put in about 10 days total.
    I had the same thoughts as you about paper quality. I personally did see a difference.

I will see if i can go ask what brand of toner we used. (Next logical step?) I think some prep may still be at that shop too?
    Last edited by BORO; 08-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.

the toner from this new hp printer leaves behind a reddish deposit. it doesnt just flake off; which makes it difficult to wipe off the resist without scratching the fume. i cant get it to do the flake off with the soot thing. im gonna go back to the brother printer, its ink wipes off way easier.

ps. im back to using solvy instead of paper, it works fine, just more labor.

i ordered photoemulsion today, im worried i wont be able to get the fume to stick better than the etch cream for the washing.

Billyben Lurker

^Difference between iron oxide and plastic toner I think ?