The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

Default Re: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

Quote Originally Posted by steak351 View Post
    so if i might ask if i got it right, you take pages of magazines and print the image onto that so the tones doesnt stick to the magazine paper cause its glossy,.... or what kind of paper are you printing on?
    yup i use the glossy magazine paper from my GF's old fashion magazines. the gloss helps the toner come of the paper a lil easier

Default Re: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeE View Post
    I am pretty sure you need to use an HP black (not color) laser jet printer. I think laser jet is even newer than ink jet printers.

You need to user a printer with toner (ink/inkjet printers will not work) called a laser printer. colored toner does work but the color burns out around 590F.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10268752_675540635816427_1192200475_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	70407

hglasswell good job on the JD pendant
    Last edited by bowvalley; 01-05-2015 at 12:03 PM.

I'm thinking about trying this but I have a concern- How does the image hold up? Does it rub off or is it easily scraped? I was thinking about giving a bunch of pieces as a give away but it would be embarassing if the logos fell off.

How do they do it professionally?

Quote Originally Posted by petermatra View Post
    I'm thinking about trying this but I have a concern- How does the image hold up? Does it rub off or is it easily scraped? I was thinking about giving a bunch of pieces as a give away but it would be embarassing if the logos fell off.

How do they do it professionally?
    I think this tech is used as a negative or whatever. The image is temporary and you can fume or maybe sandblast the negative space to create your image. At least thats what the youtube video made it seem like.

As for how decals are put on, i don't know. enamel maybe, not really sure. I bet someone around here knows tho..

O O Re: how to use glossy magazine paper to transfer toner to your glass and fume imges

ABR has some decals, I think I might even have a sample to try out at some point which are kiln bake on if that is what yer going for. I also think barry is right in that this is used to block the fume and then burned or kilned off. I was thinking lately about since sometimes the transfers from magazines dont seem to look like they stick so well, if its simple shapes or geometric designs, maybe one could use a solvent like acetone and buy bulk toner and dissolve it into a paint if possible (like how one might make napalm as a kid with gas dissolving soap and styrofoam etc), use some contact paper or what have you slather it on, remove contact paper and have a much thicker or solid/even coat of the stuff for some nice crisp images, with less accidental burnoff before you intend it. Since I have no idea about the silk screening process I have no idea if it applies, but maybe to get things like pics of death authors or pop stars onto pipes without printing could work with this same "paint". It is early and I have been up all night, sorry the ideas are just kinda all over the place heh.

If something like acetone didnt work maybe a binding medium for pate de verre like CMC gum, Gum arabic, pine oil, linseed oil, or sodium silicate could thicken it up enough to stick it in place. Hell you might even be able to make forms of fine tip paint marker or wax pencils with the stuff if you were handy and draw on shit if one could somehow get it to work that way. Who wants to make a toner paint in a neutral medium? I wouldn't mind giving it a go sooner or later if no one else ends up doing so. Chances are its all a lot more work for too little gain (if it was somehow useful in the first place), but I dunno... /me stumbles off to bed...
    Last edited by gomilobster; 01-20-2015 at 12:25 PM.

The kiln bake on sounds cool. I expect that to be durable. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bowvalley View Post
    hglasswell good job on the JD pendant
    Thanks!!!!

So i've been playing around more and have come to the conclusion i'm not very good at transferring with paper.. haha... so I tried out some transfer plastic for making PCB's and it sticks great!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10945660_972098349484751_4012195037572001612_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	70813
    www.facebook.com/hglasswell or www.hglasswell.com

^ Bad ass what kind of plastic did you use PCB?No following

Awesome tech. Whoda thunk it. Something so simple could be so complex. "PCB" Printed Circuit Board. hglasswell was referring to the transfer paper used to do the same process for the manufacture of circuit boards. Instead of copper plates, we use hot glass. Again, killer vids and awesome tech. Thanks for sharing.

Thank bud!!!Gonna try it tomorrow!!!

That fry looks like it has different colors ,have to mess around with the tec

i was reading in some other thread that you can use silver sharpie and draw on and fume then burn off the silver sharpie again. Is this using the same principle as this?
    glasshole

Quote Originally Posted by lrg420420420 View Post
    That fry looks like it has different colors ,have to mess around with the tec
    It was a colored picture but my printer is B&W so it prints in shades of grey... this lighter the color the more likely it will burn away first leaving the heavy black behind

So I tried it out tonight,I need some practice!Found out what was too hot,had two come close but had little part not stick to glass.Try again tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by lrg420420420 View Post
    So I tried it out tonight,I need some practice!Found out what was too hot,had two come close but had little part not stick to glass.Try again tomorrow!
    I use a piece of white paper and touch the glass to it and if it browns the paper then its to hot once it doesn't brown I wait till I can't feel the radiant heat with my hand and then wait a few more seconds... haha but the nice thing is if you mess up just wipe off the ink when its warm

^^^hell yea ,Thanks man Saturday I got time to blow and gonna give it a go.Think I can pull off some cool stuff with this teck with a bit of trail and error.Been a long time since I tried anything new,same old plane jane for me .

hgglasswell what was your full process for that image of fry? it looks sick!! ive tried the decal paper that you print and fire on with torch to various degrees of success.

^^^

Quote Originally Posted by OVglass View Post
    hgglasswell what was your full process for that image of fry? it looks sick!! ive tried the decal paper that you print and fire on with torch to various degrees of success.

Ill put together a picture tut when I work tonight...