The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old machinist wants to learn to work glass.

Default Old machinist wants to learn to work glass.

My name is mike .Iv been watching youtube videos and realy want to try it working glass.

Iv been a job shop machinist/welder/engineer since 1991.Im 46 years old. Done plenty of heavy torch work and welding.

Lots of careful torching like cutting a bearings off a shaft without hurting the shaft, burning out broken bolts and stuff. I also worked as a tattoo artist for a few years.

I have a well tooled home machine shop and wood shop but have no torching or welding equipment but a propane hand torch for soldering.

Im too old and beat up to work iron anymore so Id like to give it a try.

So a Lynx torch and fuel bottles are first on my list. I will want a hand torch.
    A kiln is something iv wanted anyway.

Im here to learn as much as I can before investing in the tooling.

Default Re: Old machinist wants to learn to work glass.

Post where you are and maybe someone will let you give things a try before buying everything or tell you of others close by.
    E

Im in south eastern Washington.

Let me know if you make it to the Seattle area.
    E

Welcome snoop
    ~Misha

Welcome to TMP. Sounds like you have hand and professional skills to make glass easier to pick up than someone who is afraid of fire and/or never worked with their hands.

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila

I'm in Wenatchee, if you ever make it around your welcome to give the Phantom a whirl
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Thank you all very much. Im reading and watching all I can.

I would love to watch any of you run a torch in person to pick up on some of all the millions of little tricks that keeps the workflow moving along the right direction.

Im just doing my homework till my finances are in a place I can get a few things. I want my bottles regulators and hoses first.

I recommend meeting and watching both the boys that offered. They are good guys.

A lynx is a good place to start. It's easy on bottles and a great torch to learn on. Also, it will resale for almost what you paid for it when you are ready to step up.
    ~Misha

Snoop, hit me up sometime. I live in lacey, and im about the opposite of you. Been blowing glass for about 8 years, but new to machining. I have a small machine shop as well. Would love to share ideas

We have a free community day every second Saturday of the month at my studio in Seattle, sept 13th is the next one if you want to come try it out before you get the equipment.

Nathan

welcome to TMP!

Iv been talking with a local non glass artist friend, he was telling me that my vision is something to take seriously. He said some people he knew did not take care of their eyesight.
    I ran a cutting torch, plasma, oxygen lance when needed and used precautions then so would not take it lightly. I would use good shades like the ones I used to plasma arc.

Having worked with some nasty things while welding I know enough to keep my face out of the smoke and to plan for ventilation without blowing away my shielding gasses.

As far as workspace Im thinking a portable bench with hinged tops that can be rolled out of the shop on nice days. Have it hold everything needed so it could even be loaded in a pick up truck.

I have a real old and valuable Blacksmiths Anvil Im thinking of selling to buy equipment. Its a Peter Wright wrought iron anvil numbers 1 3 4 so its 200#+/- on a good 250 pound base. A real prick to move. My forge is a fire pit of stacked bricks. I make a few knives but nothing fancy.
    Not too sure of selling it though, its nice to have a substantial anvil.

Its a good thing I dont have a credit card Or I would be getting some gear by next week.

Just so you guys know I want to make all sorts of do dads and do not care if I sell a single thing so my expectations are realistic. I fully expect to make plenty of garbage and scrap.

Would like to see some of your blacksmith work!
    Anvils are worth damn good money, especially if the edges are clean and there is no substantial slump it from work.

Welcome to the pot man
    The world is a vampire... "Smashing pumpkins"

Someone is in for some fun, put that machining to good use an make yourself custom tools out the ying yang, i can only imagine the possibility.. a brass stamp to put your logo in your glass, brass reamers/joint holders, custom press molds, custom graphite tools /drool. Glass is really fun, and i'll add that if you do end up buying a GTT they usually resale for 90% of their retail value or more. Great if you plan on upgrading in the future.

Ok guys, I have a long way to go but I guess Im in the game!

I pulled the trigger on a GTT Bobcat. It will have to be good enough to learn on. I can start chipping away at the other gear.
    Figure get the torch and It will kick me in the ass to get it going.
    I purchased it through Mountain Glass Arts.

You know Im like a kid on Christmas eve right now.

Thank all of you for your warm welcome, generous offers and helpful advice.

I made the torch purchase so I'm committed OR should be committed to a nut house.

Really, I watched glass blowers in Seattle as a kid and always though it was cool. I have worked in a foundry and have a small ghetto foundry at home to cast aluminum and my machine tools. This will compliment all my other tools , skills and hobbies very nicely.

Congrats! Your Bobcat will be good to learn on. It'll only limit scale, not imagination, and every torch has its limits.

Good luck and have fun!

Well so much for that Mountain glass arts said its a back order, same for GTT themselves.

Back on the hunt for something available.

GTT's are worth the wait though, so keep hunting. Check our glassifieds multiple times a day if you can. When they pop up they go fast.

Also check with Trev's glass. I read recently that they were getting some in stock soon.

Good luck!
    ~Misha

Found one on facebook but pay pal is not working for me.

I have a bid on Ebay, its looking good.

I have shopped around for oxygen tanks and that's a big money eating deal, buying and filling. Going to shop for and Oyxcon. Seems like a very logical investment.