The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you could do it all over again ...

Smile If you could do it all over again ...

what would you do differently if you could build your studio all over again from scratch?

Where would you locate your bench, against the wall or as an island?

I just moved and get to set my studio up in our unfinished basement . Budget is limited so I will be DIY as much as possible. The space is approx. 11' x 14'. I can't decide if the bench (yet to be built) should go against a wall or make it an island . I plan to torch boro and solder jewelry at the bench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StudioFloorPlan1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	64884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082514_StudioBefore.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	64885

the electrician is coming soon and I have to decide where to put the outlets work out the ventilation scheme.

Any studio design, tips & tricks, input, suggestions, etc are welcome! Thank you in advance

Default Re: If you could do it all over again ...

i'd go up against a wall.....distance from torch to wall dictated by how big of a torch you run.
    right underneath that window would be ideal imo.
    You shouldn't be having sex for pleasure, only for reproduction.
    Thousands of people read my threads now. So I’m trying to not embarrass myself.

Looks like a nice setup. I have a wall bench and am glad I didn't go with an island bench. My bench is like 7' long and up against the wall with my torch on one end directly in front of my inline fan, and my kiln on the other end. All the space between is golden to have for current glass, stringers, tools, etc, etc... I thought about putting my kiln across the room I just don't want to make long treks back and forth, it's nice being able to walk a hot piece over to the kiln and if by some crazy chance it falls, its only a few inches to the bench top.
    "Dude, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something!" -Jake the Dog

Up against the wall seems to be the popular choice. Any thoughts on having your back to the entry? I've been startled by visitors and just barely managed to not bobble the hot piece.

I put up a couple of mirrors so that I can see the door, it really helps with that. I really hated people sneaking up on me, but usually I'll see the movement in the mirror even if I'm in the zone and the stereo's on. The mirrors come in handy so you can see the other side of things as you're blowing too.

Mirrors, check

I hate when people walk in to our shop and startle us. We are moving shops right now and I'm totally gunna do the mirror thing good idea for sure
    There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive. This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame ; it comes to the soldier, war mad on a stricken battlefield and refusing quarter. ~ Jack London

Instagram ---- Captain_Glass

I always use the mirror trick, not just in the shop, but always...and it always works. +1 for the mirror getting your attention even when you're busy.

If I could do anything over again it probably would end up exactly how it is bench layout wise... I made two triangular cabinets up against a window (or as close to and ducted to the window) for me and Misha, would not trade them for anything! Also I have helped many people make them and they all say that they love the extremely efficient air flow/exhausting. Only thing would of been to make my first bench more like my second, in that it would be a tiny bit bigger and not built around a craftsman stainless steel work bench and just had a piece of like 16guage or thicker stainless custom cut for it like the other bench I did.

Against the wall gives you more space and room for kilns etc. you could probably get away with using that window as an exhaust for a small squirrel cage fan. Making a hood and venting out that window is probably your best bet.

also are you a stander or a sitter. tall chairs that are the right size, comfortable and roll are expensive and hard to find, so think about a lower bench if you plan to sit. I put pics and directions on a slick way of making your sitting bench also work as a standing bench whenever you feel/need to stand in the stand or sit thread.

also where do you plan to inlet your ventilation in that room. open the entry door? where does that door get air from?

I like a bench height that I can stand or use a bar stool, my last bench was an old kitchen counter and that was the perfect height.

Not sure yet about venting, it looks like I can vent out between the top of the concrete wall and the bottom of the upper floor (there is already some ducting where a dryer used to be). I would like to preserve the window for at least a little natural light, it's tiny (32" x 14").

For make up air, not sure, maybe a grill on the door eventually. There is actually no wall at this time, I just mocked one in so I can get a basic floor plan. Make up air can come from any basement window or even draw from upper floor via stairwell when it's cold outside.

below are the latest thoughts on layouts. What do you think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082514_studio1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	64913 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082514_studio2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	64914

for right handed people, do you like the kiln on the right or left side?

I had it on the left before because right side bench space seems premium for hand tools, and glass rods

your bench is pretty sweet, you may have sold me on the corner concept do you ever have problems working with long rods or big pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by KLAW View Post
    If I could do anything over again it probably would end up exactly how it is bench layout wise... I made two triangular cabinets up against a window (or as close to and ducted to the window) for me and Misha, would not trade them for anything! Also I have helped many people make them and they all say that they love the extremely efficient air flow/exhausting. Only thing would of been to make my first bench more like my second, in that it would be a tiny bit bigger and not built around a craftsman stainless steel work bench and just had a piece of like 16guage or thicker stainless custom cut for it like the other bench I did.

I am not sure what you are proposing to do exactly by saying there is some dryer vent ducting already, but just in case you dont know that is not big enough for ventilating your lampworking bench. minimum of 1000 cfm is whats required for safety. notice large attic fan in picture. you can achieve that with a squrrel cage fan of the proper size also. Dont make the ventilation an after thought it should be your main concern. Also make up air has to be able to acheive static pressure. meaning it has to be able to let in as much air as you are blowing out. Just letting you know
    Last edited by twisteddman; 08-25-2014 at 10:22 PM.

will a 6" diameter outlet work? the old dryer vent outlet is just an open 6" duct going outside with nothing connected to it on the inside right now. I do understand the critical importance of ventilation, and thank you for the reminder to keep it first and foremost.

Currently there are (2) 6" dia ducts bringing air in from the outside. One is definitely for the gas fired water heater and gas furnace as the ducting extends all the way over to right beside those units, the other one looks to be abandoned in place.

hmm, after some further googling, it looks like one 6" dia fan exhaust duct won't cut it. I'm thinking maybe splitting it between two 6" dia ducts as close together as possible. Also, I will consult with my local contractor to see what he can recommend.

That's where one of those things I had said, that had came into play with the only changes I would of made. That my 1st bench was a bit bigger like my 2nd... It needs to be wide enough to break down a full tube (& pull a point on it) out in front of the torch where it would be in the flame. One thing I really need to point out is that a sharper angle (deeper cabinet) is way way more optimal. Our bench with a GTT Mirage on it, is abt 7' long along the front edge...and if was continued into a perfect triangle (instead of being flattened in the back where the fan is, and thus actually into a trapezoid) it would of extended abt the same 7' from the center of that front edge to the back "corner"...

I will get the exact measurements in the morning, but the deeper the cabinet (in relation to the front bench edge) the better the flow will be. But in a normal "90*" corner is better then nothing (with the corner flattened and fan centered between bench surface and cabinet roof piece) also the walls extending out and roof being lowered to right above head level and extended out to the bench edge too are very important. You can have your torch come out a bit on a slide or something to totally avoid hitting the walls on full tubes and big stringer pulls & etc, if you can't do the optimal angles too...

Well its been a long night, so please excuse my grammar and rambling/confusion. I will try to clean/clear things up in the AM...hope I could help until then...
    Last edited by KLAW; 08-26-2014 at 03:30 PM.

6" ducting is pretty small air flow...guess it depends on torch size and you might deff want to use a "funnel" cabinet like mine as deep as possible.(which takes up more space)