The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AZ Bumblebee lathe reports !

Default AZ Bumblebee lathe reports !

Looking for a "Bumblebee" report on how you like it, do's n donts, etc ! I need some input before i start tossing dollars ! Thanks in advance ~"
    [/SIGPIC]Glass is the obsession

Default Re: AZ Bumblebee lathe reports !

I have one, wanna buy it? I made one dome before decided it was a joke.

Took around 6 months to get it, AFTER they took our money. Then we had to call over and over to get him to ship it. Then it didn't come with the accesories promised.

Its an oversized corded drill in a different case. The chucks look identicle to a drill. The kind you spin to open the jaws. Not what I concider ideal for holding glass.

Sorry Sean, I like the full size lathe. But the bumble bee was a Huge waste of money IMO. .

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

Show me a corded drill with a pass through. I agree it's probably most useful for larger production shops. I'd probably mostly have one on a station to tool joints and small parts. Although I've heard people make rigs and things on them I don't think it's the most practical tool for everyone.

I believe this was developed in a large part due to the need of the industry to have a drill with air control. Years ago a model was built out of a drill and provided air pressure without a pass through. This machine is the logical progression of that providing half a lathe at less than half cost, far less than the one headed litton art lathe (which would be more useful but only up up the point of holding larger tubing).

On a similar note have you seen the Indian lathes one sided model being hawked on craigslist nationwide for $1800-$3000. Must be some kind of demand out there. Again not for everyone and maybe only for a few, but the tool has uses that justify companies buying them.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

I haven't seen one, but a Jacobs chuck works pretty well for holding glass in my experience
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

It just doesn't chuck very large. I've made one dome on it in the couple months we have had it. We let global glass (a large production shop) test it out for a week. They used it once and told us to come get it.

It's small an only like 50lbs. Super easy to take places. It does spin nicely and holds blow tubes fine. Someone might have more use for it then me, I have a full size Az lathe as well.

Sean's customer service is great, other then taking months to ship stuff, and saying that it comes with more then it does.

Just trying to give my honest opinion from my experience. I was very disappointed with it. I will admit, I prolly shoulda taken a safety break before I wrote the review, but I didn't, and it's my honest opinion.

Would we buy it again? Nope

Not dissing Sean or his business at all. I've had great experiences with them. This is just not a product I would recommend.

What are you wanting to do with it OP? Maybe it will work for your situation better.

I'll be at my shop on Sunday. I'll take some detailed pics. It still looks brand new.
    Last edited by Dan Kooper; 09-10-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Just my experience....

I've had one in the studio for about 4 months now and it's definitely for high volume, simple production. So far the machine has run great. The pass through is small but accomadates all the GONG joint sizes I use and tubing. Although a bigger pass though would be great, this thing has been a worker. Produced over 2000 pieces so far with only a small issue of tightening the screws up a little. This does not take the place of a lathe, but is great for parts prep or small finished pieces.

I did not have the wait time, as it was at the event I was attending. Recently, he did send out a lager scroll wheel (at no cost) for easier opening and closing, which is pretty sweet, but does slow the machine down just a bit.

Had another one in the studio a buddy bought, it didn't work out for his technique and he got rid of it. But, its just been a crusher for me.

are we talking the American S.e.m lathes?
    Melting wax one candle at a time

Yes^

I'm currently waiting for a new drive shaft or something for my full size lathe. He said it was something to make it run like a litton. Whatever that means. It's been about 2-3 months I would say. Gonna give him a call to check on it today actually now that I'm thinking about it.

My buddie paid a lot of cash to them an has yet to see anything.....Dan I know this is unrelated but did you have time to work on the tut? Id forreal shoot lil friendly paypal for a good one to get me going....

I have heard nothing but good things about AZ Lathe. It surprises me to hear that they fell behind orders. I've seen similar machines in larger production shops and can see how it would be a great addition, but I have no need for one. Thanks for the report Joe Blow. I'm really surprised that it didn't work for your shop mate. It seems like his style would be killer on it.

Well I cannot say for sure as its not my money or lathe. But he said he was having issues. So how does the name AZ lathe come about I thought they were American Lathes or S.E.M lathes....An I talking about something else?

No there are too many names going on. The az lathes is used on Facebook, I have no idea why SEM was a name, it seems it's more or less officially American lathes.

It's good to hear reviews about this machine. There are very few ppl id recommend this too who don't already own a lathe. It certainly doesn't make sense to add one to a shop unless you already do drill production or understand the benefits of the process. I think all you can really say at this point is to buy two bumble bees, mount, and sync the motors, and you'd have a decent lathe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	147 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	65790

Just said s.e.m when I googled American lathes but I hear this bumble bee stuff I didn't know whats going on.

We had a nightmare experience with az lathes and will never do business with them again. Deposited money in their account and had to wait 9 months when it showed up the lathe was not true super bad wobble the box was destroyed. Took them months to send a replacement and they threatened to sue us because we didn't send back the broken one within 24 hours. Sent their broken lathe back and hate our bumblebee. Only useful for small parts can't fit anything bigger than 19mm . My employee has made lots of 9.5 bowls on it but a $30 drill is a better deal.

Dude if you want a single head lathe with chucks that can hold up to 75 mil and can pass air through.

Get a harbor freight wood lathe .

Take off controller and dial down speed .

Then go to grizzly tool and snatch a three jaw chuck for 70 ISh bucks .

Assemble .

I made one and sold it when flipping stuff for cask for other stuff .

Bought three more units when price was right with coupon .

I am going to keep one and sell other two .

Depending on shipping and how handy you are it cost about .

200-220 in parts and the tricky part is the turning down speed .

The parts on board are plastic standard head screws made of plastic .

So if you don't want to set it up I think I would take 300 for one ready to go .

This is by far the cheapest and easiest way .

But pass through is 10 mm

Just a blowtube passes through but you can make that fit whatever with stoppers .

The other way is to get a fourth axis motor and chuck .

They sell on eBay pretty cheap and have up to one inch pass through .

You have to ask sellers about pass through they don't always say .

They run 150 - 350 depending on size .

They use stepper motors .

Grab a controller and assemble and boom single head .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Man it's a zombie thread what's up with digging up a three year old thread to bag on a az lathe lol

1st post from you also .

Sorry to Jab a bit , you must need to vent finnaly ?

I get it !!!!'